McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 720S that was delivered to me on Thursday. Per my usual, lowered a bit and on wheels, so I set off to start on the former while my HRE’s are being built.

I had a set of Novitec height adjustable springs installed by a highly reputable shop and the tech that did the work had worked on both my previous Aventadors, Huracan, Speciale and R8, bottom line, I trust the guy

After it was done, which they said was a very smooth install, the car promptly gave a “Damper Fault” to then see the dealer, as well as a “Mode control error”, which seems pretty obviously related given the change in damping that happens in various modes.

Checked and rechecked all the connectors and they are all connected, clean and in good shape. Disconnected the battery for 30 mins, code still present, locked the car, out the key well out of range, left for an hour, code still present.

The car drives great, rides great, but it will not let me get out of the default driving mode and manual only works by pulling a paddle and even then it’s in the M/A mode and will switch to Auto quite quickly if not manually shifted. The active panel is unresponsive.

The sales guy at the dealer is a good friend of mine and he’s asking the tech what else to try as I’d rather not ship it 8 hours to get a fault cleared. The service advisor said that the car is very sensitive to key proximity so even when working on them, the key shouldn’t be close

My hunch is that the key was too close (about 10 feet away) and the car “woke up” when the sensors were unplugged to remove the springs and it triggered the code.

If anyone has any thoughts on clearing faults (at this point I’m convinced that’s the issue, for now) other than what’s been described, or has happened to have the same issue, I’d love to hear a fix. If not, once I have a resolution I’ll post it in case anybody else has this in the future.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe try disconnecting the battery overnight and see if it then clears.

Congrats on the car, love the paint... ceramic grey?
Cool. I’ll give that a shot next.

Thanks, loving it so far, even in this limited mode, lol.

Yep, Chicane Grey

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No dice with the car being locked overnight. I couldn’t find my OBD dongle, but I know the shop tried that. Disconnected the battery and will leave that for awhile and also working on a fix with XPRD.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Was the battery connected when the dampers were disconnected? And then reconnected?

Love the chicane grey! And on a base model.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was the battery connected when the dampers were disconnected? And then reconnected?

Love the chicane grey! And on a base model.
That's what I think caused it. The tech had an issue with another car disconnecting the battery so preferred not to. I'm sure it wigged the car out with the battery connected and the connectors being disconnected. I'm going to take it up there today to do a 3rd check on all everything physically, however I'm convinced that stuff is fine.

Thanks! Good eye. I was scouring for this color without having to wait to order. This is my first "low option" swing at a car, and it's surprisingly pleasant in something I know is going to depreciate pretty badly. Chicane Grey and all Alcantara interior, perfect for me. Pretty wild to have a $332k sticker and $12k of that being paint, lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are ride height sensors at each wheel. Perhaps the 720 is more sensitive to having the correct default ride height written back into the ecu?
It's a possibility, however a number of cars I know of have been lowered without fault, and you'd think that would impact the front lift.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sorry, no advice or help for your prob.
But for what's its worth, my 570s is lowered on Novitec. No dramas whatsoever. Lift works as it should.
Can't imagine the sensors and coding would be any different to the 720.
Pretty sure will just need a computer reset.

·
Recent Convert
866 Posts
Sorry, no advice or help for your prob.
But for what's its worth, my 570s is lowered on Novitec. No dramas whatsoever. Lift works as it should.
Can't imagine the sensors and coding would be any different to the 720.
Pretty sure will just need a computer reset.
They are very different
The 720 had the hydraulic cross linked system updated from the 650
The 570 uses traditional dampers and anti roll bars

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As a short update, I'm flying a tech out from the McLaren dealer I bought it from and he'll be working on it first thing in the morning. Looking at a simple reset, however he did mention recalibrating the ride height sensors, so we may do that too. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In a slight twist, and after some pretty robust testing, it looks like I have not 1, but 2 failed accelerometer sensors. No damage, crimping, etc., it looks like they just crapped out, at the exact same time. Both fronts showed an open circuit and failed system checks, faults were cleared, CCU reset, and it came right back.

The McLaren tech that came out was awesome, super thorough and troubleshot every wire back to the chassis control module, the module itself, all related power/ground/pigtails etc. Finally swapping them over to the rear and vice versa, the fronts now passed system checks and the rears failed with the same fault.

2 new sensors coming next week and we should be ready to rock/roll. The plus side is this seems to be clearly a warranty issue and not a human error.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts