Wtb: 2012-2014 12c - Page 4 - McLaren Life
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 88 Old 02-23-2019, 10:10 PM

I think the 3 most important factors for higher cost 12c are

1. passing "inspection" for warranty
2. active warranty, which the cost of warranty keeps increasing year by year
3. known niggles, hvac display, IRIS2, headlights have been dealt with

the color/interior I think are not as important unless its a weird combination. There are tons of whites and blacks for sale for some reason. CCB help, Extra carbon fiber helps push it over the edge.

I let my 12c spider with 34k miles on it go for 106k on a trade in, but I think if I would have consigned it, 10-15k extra. Active warranty for 10 months at that time. Im waiting for it to pop back up for sale, wonder where its going...

private party and McLaren dealers can transfer active warranty, but other car dealers cannot. If warranty is not even an issue that opens up the search a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 88 Old 02-24-2019, 12:33 AM
AWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstkill View Post
I think the 3 most important factors for higher cost 12c are

1. passing "inspection" for warranty
2. active warranty, which the cost of warranty keeps increasing year by year
3. known niggles, hvac display, IRIS2, headlights have been dealt with.

Along those same lines is the requirement to purchase repair service and parts from the stealership. That finally appears to be changing, albeit slowly. Scan tools are now starting to show up with some of the capability of the proprietary MDS.

Once indie shops can diag and repair, 12C ongoing ownership will be much less expensive.
post #48 of 88 Old 02-24-2019, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
The market is flooded right now... terrible time to sell. While a car is only “worth” what someone would pay, mine is far too rare of a car with this set of options to go for much lower than $140k in a private sale. If I were selling (which I am not) I would happily wait for someone who appreciates the spec and thereby fetch a more worthy price.
If there exist people that will pay a huge premium for a particular spec, how does the market being "flooded" stop them from doing so?

There may be some looking to buy as an investment, but they'd typically want a good spec and ultra low mileage.

post #49 of 88 Old 02-24-2019, 04:50 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnixon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
The market is flooded right now... terrible time to sell. While a car is only “worth” what someone would pay, mine is far too rare of a car with this set of options to go for much lower than $140k in a private sale. If I were selling (which I am not) I would happily wait for someone who appreciates the spec and thereby fetch a more worthy price.
If there exist people that will pay a huge premium for a particular spec, how does the market being "flooded" stop them from doing so?

There may be some looking to buy as an investment, but they'd typically want a good spec and ultra low mileage.
It doesn’t. Those nice spec cars are (in my opinion) few and far between, and picky buyers will wait for them to pop up. Less picky folks currently have a buyers paradise. There are few better deals in supercar-land than a used 12c.
post #50 of 88 Old 02-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Owner

I keep on hearing about these nice spec cars, but have not seen that much variety in what is on the market, only distinguishing factors I found are elite paint, carbon brakes, MSO parts. Likewise 9/10 cars I looked at were in what I would consider excellent condition. Maybe I have not been picky enough, so what am I missing?
post #51 of 88 Old 02-26-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlykot View Post
I keep on hearing about these nice spec cars, but have not seen that much variety in what is on the market, only distinguishing factors I found are elite paint, carbon brakes, MSO parts. Likewise 9/10 cars I looked at were in what I would consider excellent condition. Maybe I have not been picky enough, so what am I missing?
If you must have a certain set of options (I'm guilty), and want IRIS2, HVAC screens replaced, perfect service history and no track use, then it's tough. Condition wise, you could be picky about stone chips, chin scrapes, kerb rash, tyre age, seat bolster wear etc. If you want a white car, or don't care about interior and exterior colours, it's a lot easier.

What you're missing is that some sellers think that:
1. High mileage (compared to average) car is 'special' and worth 40% more than the market says;
2. Car owes them a certain amount, either because of what they've spent on it, or how much debt they have secured on it;
3. Spouse will be happy if the car is for sale, but can't sell.

There is the odd buyer that will pay more than a car is worth to those that have done their research - people sometimes buy on impulse. A seller may get lucky, but likely won't.

I seem to have exhausted the cars currently for sale, so am waiting for new ones to come on the market. I've only seen one that was ideal (for what I want), but that failed inspection.

Last edited by rnixon; 02-26-2019 at 02:52 PM.
post #52 of 88 Old 02-26-2019, 11:14 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlykot View Post
If you must have a certain set of options (I'm guilty), and want IRIS2, HVAC screens replaced, perfect service history and no track use, then it's tough. Condition wise, you could be picky about stone chips, chin scrapes, kerb rash, tyre age, seat bolster wear etc. If you want a white car, or don't care about interior and exterior colours, it's a lot easier.

What you're missing is that some sellers think that:
1. High mileage (compared to average) car is 'special' and worth 40% more than the market says;
2. Car owes them a certain amount, either because of what they've spent on it, or how much debt they have secured on it;
3. Spouse will be happy if the car is for sale, but can't sell.

There is the odd buyer that will pay more than a car is worth to those that have done their research - people sometimes buy on impulse. A seller may get lucky, but likely won't.

I seem to have exhausted the cars currently for sale, so am waiting for new ones to come on the market. I've only seen one that was ideal (for what I want), but that failed inspection.
What you’re missing, as rnixon points out, is that if you want a particular spec (e.g. volcano orange, CCB, all carbon options, good service history, updated electronics, etc.) all in one car, pickings are slim. If you are more general (any elite color, any brakes, etc.) it’s not too hard to find a good car.

The comments about sellers having either “special” cars due to mileage or being financially invested in their cars has nothing to do with it.
post #53 of 88 Old 03-01-2019, 01:19 AM

I am also looking for one. Looking for a good deal (and obv inspection & warranty) rather than tons of options. Found this one: https://ebay.us/SNGIxl
Any comments/opinions please?

One thing... The car has a full wrap that makes it look dirty and damaged, but it's actually pretty cool looking imo.
post #54 of 88 Old 03-01-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ettorri View Post
I am also looking for one. Looking for a good deal (and obv inspection & warranty) rather than tons of options. Found this one: https://ebay.us/SNGIxl
Any comments/opinions please?

One thing... The car has a full wrap that makes it look dirty and damaged, but it's actually pretty cool looking imo.
To be frank, it's one of the worst adverts for a $100k+ car that I've ever seen - right up there with the ones that show 4 photos, have the only feature of the car as an AM/FM radio, and then have a description that waffles on about McLaren with zero information about the particular car.

Don't get me started on incorrect aspect ratios, or using old photos when the car looked completely different.

Last edited by rnixon; 03-01-2019 at 02:34 AM.
post #55 of 88 Old 03-01-2019, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I am also looking for one. Looking for a good deal (and obv inspection & warranty) rather than tons of options.
Post a WTB thread giving your criteria, and you may be contacted by people that aren't openly advertising their cars. It is a buyer's market, so I'd make some cheeky cash offers and see what sticks. If you're not fussy about colours or amount of Carbon fibre, you're spoilt for choice at the moment. Where are you based?
post #56 of 88 Old 03-01-2019, 03:02 AM

I'm in Houston.

I will post a WTB. I'm a little worried about a car not sold by a dealership but as far as I've seen a pre-warranty inspection by a McLaren dealership should be good enough.
post #57 of 88 Old 03-01-2019, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm in Houston.

I will post a WTB. I'm a little worried about a car not sold by a dealership but as far as I've seen a pre-warranty inspection by a McLaren dealership should be good enough.
An existing Extended Service Contract (ESC) can be transferred in a private sale.
post #58 of 88 Old 03-01-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm in Houston.

This isn't too far from you, and has a little of an ESC left to run. I don't know what the reserve is, although would be concerned that it's more than it's worth.
post #59 of 88 Old 03-04-2019, 11:07 AM

It looks to me that there is a big dent in the hood. The light reflection is much more than caused by wrap. Also, when I bought mine from a non MAC dealer it was "very fancy certified". Bull. Cost me over 9k before it would qualify for ESC. Ask the dealer to let a MAC dealer inspect it. If is passed inspection you will pay for the inspection. If not, then you know what is really wrong with it.
rnixon likes this.
post #60 of 88 Old 03-04-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
This isn't too far from you, and has a little of an ESC left to run. I don't know what the reserve is, although would be concerned that it's more than it's worth.
Got to $87,600 (below the reserve, unsurprisingly). I would have expected more, given that it is has a transferable ESC. It didn't have enough CF for me (interior is a requirement, with engine bay CF and CCB being highly desirable). The "Buy It Now" of $119,900 was never going to happen, IMO. Lovely colour, ESC and recent service though.

Last edited by rnixon; 03-04-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in