Wtb: 2012-2014 12c - Page 3 - McLaren Life
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 88 Old 02-21-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Los Altos (San Francisco Bay Area)
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
My 2012 12C will go to a dealer for $87,500. at the end of the month. Car has completely upgraded engine (heads, track-pack water pump, etc., also HVAC updated, seats updated to elect. with orange contrast, CF interior (including a.c. vents), etc.). I will get that PLUS 9% tax incentive off my new Porsche. Thus it is not worth begging on this forum for someone to come buy it.
That's a good dealer offer for a higher mileage (IIRC) 12C. Enjoy your new car!
markj likes this.
rnixon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 88 Old 02-21-2019, 10:38 PM
Owner
 
lolachampcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: WPB, FL
Posts: 889
sounds like that is the market for these cars
lolachampcar is offline  
post #33 of 88 Old 02-22-2019, 03:14 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 448
Garage
I won't let a clean / low milage 12c go any lower than 125k. Those letting cars go under 100k are just nuts.
carbon is offline  
 
post #34 of 88 Old 02-22-2019, 03:55 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 72
You can only sell it for what others are willing to pay.
rnixon likes this.
Jeff M is online now  
post #35 of 88 Old 02-22-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Los Altos (San Francisco Bay Area)
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
I won't let a clean / low milage 12c go any lower than 125k. Those letting cars go under 100k are just nuts.
That's fine, if you don't need to sell and are willing to take the risk on prices falling more. If you do need to sell, and have what I'm looking for, then I have the cash and can make a deal happen quickly.
rnixon is offline  
post #36 of 88 Old 02-23-2019, 04:31 AM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner
 
nordstat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 230
FWIW, I think it largely comes down to the buyer’s wants in the car. A random enthusiast will just want a 12c and be less scrutinizing of the color, add-ons, brakes, etc. A more particular individual looking for volcano colors, CCB, carbon everywhere, etc. will be far more willing to pay more to get what they want.

A local dealership appraised my car and said I could expect up to $140-150k in the private market. They offered ~$125-130k through consignment or ~$115-120k for a trade-in. Said it was a bit of a unicorn and required the right buyer, but it ticked all the right boxes. We also looked at the cars on the market and mileage did not seem to matter much. The two highest priced cars had a more than 10k mile difference on their odo’s. Just depends on the car.

For reference my car’s factory specs include...
2012 12c coupe, ~$310k msrp, under 19k miles
Volcano orange
Clear headlights without fog or mold
Carbon interior, exterior, and engine upgrades
Carbon ceramic brakes
Black alcantara/leather interior, orange stitching
Variety of other misc. upgrades
19 months left on ESC
Annual service completed 11/2018
nordstat is offline  
post #37 of 88 Old 02-23-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Los Altos (San Francisco Bay Area)
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
For reference my car’s factory specs include...
2012 12c coupe, ~$310k msrp, under 19k miles
Volcano orange
Clear headlights without fog or mold
Carbon interior, exterior, and engine upgrades
Carbon ceramic brakes
Black alcantara/leather interior, orange stitching
Variety of other misc. upgrades
19 months left on ESC
Annual service completed 11/2018
That's a great spec. EDIT: I see that it's a very early car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
FWIW, I think it largely comes down to the buyer’s wants in the car. A random enthusiast will just want a 12c and be less scrutinizing of the color, add-ons, brakes, etc. A more particular individual looking for volcano colors, CCB, carbon everywhere, etc. will be far more willing to pay more to get what they want.
I agree to some extent, although the sheer number of 12Cs (especially 2012s) does pull values down. IMO, cars without nice options (including colour) just don't sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
A local dealership appraised my car and said I could expect up to $140-150k in the private market. They offered ~$125-130k through consignment or ~$115-120k for a trade-in. Said it was a bit of a unicorn and required the right buyer, but it ticked all the right boxes.
Bite their hand off - $115-120k trade-in is unheard of (on a correctly priced purchase). I would say, if everything else is positive, $110-112k in a private sale. We should talk if you're not offended by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
We also looked at the cars on the market and mileage did not seem to matter much. The two highest priced cars had a more than 10k mile difference on their odo’s. Just depends on the car.
Asking price means nothing. That appears to be the justification used by sellers with cars that don't. There's not a lot of point in pricing against ones that haven't sold, IMO. Higher (not really in absolute terms, 20+k) mileage cars are very difficult to sell, and appear to go under $100k.
Jeff M likes this.

Last edited by rnixon; 02-23-2019 at 03:21 PM.
rnixon is offline  
post #38 of 88 Old 02-23-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Los Altos (San Francisco Bay Area)
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
A local dealership appraised my car and said I could expect up to $140-150k in the private market. They offered ~$125-130k through consignment or ~$115-120k for a trade-in. Said it was a bit of a unicorn and required the right buyer, but it ticked all the right boxes.
Here's a price data-point. I was very interested in this car, which is a later VIN with comprehensive options. I said that I thought that it was worth ~$107k with a fresh service and clean McLaren inspection. On that basis, and without a deposit (as I hadn't personally seen it), it had the service and inspection, which it failed due to unknown accident damage, so no deal.
rnixon is offline  
post #39 of 88 Old 02-23-2019, 06:53 PM
AWH
 
AWH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnixon View Post
Higher (not really in absolute terms, 20+k) mileage cars are very difficult to sell, and appear to go under $100k.

You may be a little low but close...with 41K miles and early VIN, mine just went for more than that in private sale, but it also had active warranty. Took just over a month to find the right buyer. Had several lowball offers prior to that.



Of course, that's just one data point...



Dealership said they'd just wholesale the car on trade...didn't really want 12C's on the lot. Happy to take my 570S, though...and did...for ok money.

Last edited by AWH; 02-23-2019 at 06:56 PM.
AWH is online now  
post #40 of 88 Old 02-23-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Los Altos (San Francisco Bay Area)
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWH View Post
You may be a little low but close...with 41K miles and early VIN, mine just went for more than that in private sale, but it also had active warranty. Took just over a month to find the right buyer. Had several lowball offers prior to that.
IMO, you got really lucky. It was a nice car too, which helps.
rnixon is offline  
post #41 of 88 Old 02-23-2019, 07:42 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnixon View Post
IMO, you got really lucky. It was a nice car too, which helps.

I agree. His car had an impeccable service history and a warranty to boot. Not much more you could ask for when buying a car like a 12C.
rnixon likes this.
Jeff M is online now  
post #42 of 88 Old 02-23-2019, 08:14 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner
 
nordstat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnixon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
For reference my car’s factory specs include...
2012 12c coupe, ~$310k msrp, under 19k miles
Volcano orange
Clear headlights without fog or mold
Carbon interior, exterior, and engine upgrades
Carbon ceramic brakes
Black alcantara/leather interior, orange stitching
Variety of other misc. upgrades
19 months left on ESC
Annual service completed 11/2018
That's a great spec. EDIT: I see that it's a very early car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
FWIW, I think it largely comes down to the buyer’s wants in the car. A random enthusiast will just want a 12c and be less scrutinizing of the color, add-ons, brakes, etc. A more particular individual looking for volcano colors, CCB, carbon everywhere, etc. will be far more willing to pay more to get what they want.
I agree to some extent, although the sheer number of 12Cs (especially 2012s) does pull values down. IMO, cars without nice options (including colour) just don't sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
A local dealership appraised my car and said I could expect up to $140-150k in the private market. They offered ~$125-130k through consignment or ~$115-120k for a trade-in. Said it was a bit of a unicorn and required the right buyer, but it ticked all the right boxes.
Bite their hand off - $115-120k trade-in is unheard of (on a correctly priced purchase). I would say, if everything else is positive, $110-112k in a private sale. We should talk if you're not offended by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
We also looked at the cars on the market and mileage did not seem to matter much. The two highest priced cars had a more than 10k mile difference on their odo’s. Just depends on the car.
Asking price means nothing. That appears to be the justification used by sellers with cars that don't. There's not a lot of point in pricing against ones that haven't sold, IMO. Higher (not really in absolute terms, 20+k) mileage cars are very difficult to sell, and appear to go under $100k.
My car is VIN 0179. Very early, yes. All service done thru McLaren, basic niggles replaces (A/C screens, etc) and the accumulators changed out. Nothing major.

Hate to say it, but imho you and many others are spoiled with lower-spec cars going for peanuts (no insult intended). The market is flooded right now... terrible time to sell. While a car is only “worth” what someone would pay, mine is far too rare of a car with this set of options to go for much lower than $140k in a private sale. If I were selling (which I am not) I would happily wait for someone who appreciates the spec and thereby fetch a more worthy price.

It’s all about priorities. Money has little value to many on this forum (and good for them!), so they are willing to part with cars at lower costs to get into something new. Others may not be able to afford their cars and need to sell at lower prices. I am in the third group: those that do not have unlimited resources, but who are willing to wait out the 12c market flood for selective buyers who want and are willing to pay for a special and high-spec car. Until then, I will happily drive my 12c (why else buy it in the first place)!
nordstat is offline  
post #43 of 88 Old 02-23-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Los Altos (San Francisco Bay Area)
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
Hate to say it, but imho you and many others are spoiled with lower-spec cars going for peanuts (no insult intended).
IMO, the spec doesn't make the difference that you think it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
While a car is only “worth” what someone would pay, mine is far too rare of a car with this set of options to go for much lower than $140k in a private sale. If I were selling (which I am not) I would happily wait for someone who appreciates the spec and thereby fetch a more worthy price.
Appreciating the options and paying way above the market price are two different things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstat View Post
I am in the third group: those that do not have unlimited resources, but who are willing to wait out the 12c market flood for selective buyers who want and are willing to pay for a special and high-spec car. Until then, I will happily drive my 12c (why else buy it in the first place)!
Good for you. Enjoy your car, because I doubt that anyone will offer enough for you to sell it.
rnixon is offline  
post #44 of 88 Old 02-23-2019, 09:48 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner
 
nordstat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 230
Now, no. In a year or two, maybe. I’ve already had offers that made me think twice as they were in the ballpark of what I would ask for. But the car is just too good, and I don’t want to drop another $200k on top of the sale to get a 720s immediately afterwards. Frankly, the tesla roadster has my eye, if it actually comes to market. Time will tell.
nordstat is offline  
post #45 of 88 Old 02-23-2019, 10:07 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 676
I think the 3 most important factors for higher cost 12c are

1. passing "inspection" for warranty
2. active warranty, which the cost of warranty keeps increasing year by year
3. known niggles, hvac display, IRIS2, headlights have been dealt with

the color/interior I think are not as important unless its a weird combination. There are tons of whites and blacks for sale for some reason. CCB help, Extra carbon fiber helps push it over the edge.

I let my 12c spider with 34k miles on it go for 106k on a trade in, but I think if I would have consigned it, 10-15k extra. Active warranty for 10 months at that time. Im waiting for it to pop back up for sale, wonder where its going...


private party and McLaren dealers can transfer active warranty, but other car dealers cannot. If warranty is not even an issue that opens up the search a lot.
Firstkill is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome