Revving the 570S - McLaren Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-28-2019, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Revving the 570S

I recently bought a 2019 570S. It is my first exotic or any car more than 130k. I plan to keep the car for it’s lifetime, as I don’t trade in or sell my cars. I’ve driven this car on the racetrack and all but when my friends ask me to rev the engine I’m afraid something will happen. The only few instances where I did I didn’t let it exceed 4000RPM. I know these cars are built to be driven hard, but I still don’t always hit redline even if I’m accelerating hard. What are some tips to prolong engine life, and if I were to rev it at a track or such, how should I proceed. I know never to rev it when cold or launch it.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-28-2019, 04:25 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Never rev up any engine at idle when cold. Let the engine warm up. When in normal mode (when you don’t press Active) it won’t let you go above 4Krpm at idle. When you press Active, it will let you go beyond that in Sport/Track mode.

Either way, revving up the car is never really good for it. It generates more heat without any air flow. It typically won’t damage it if you do a couple of blips, but don’t sit there and keep revving it.

Also never launch the car until fully warmed up...

Thanks!

Z.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-22-2019, 09:17 AM

Revving by itself is not very harmful, the major wear comes from rapidly changing the temperature of the engine materials. Which means the worst thing you can do is to extract a lot of power from the engine when its cold, revving is worse than idling but much less harmful than accelerating hard in gear building boost etc.

Just make sure the engine is up to temperature before going heavy on the throttle and will keep the mechanical wear to a minimal.

When the engine is up to temperature there is basically no harm in revving it for a few seconds even if it reaches redline.

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 12:30 AM

Let the car warm up before driving it hard. DO NOT rev the motor at idle or when cold. If you take it to the track, which you SHOULD because you cannot even scratch the surface of the cars potential on the street. Let the car idle for 5-10 minutes post track then, using a wheel chock, hold the parking brake release in when shutting off the car. That way the parking break will not get stuck to the hot rotors. I just put an additional 200 miles on mine at Virginia International Raceway WOW what an incredible car.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtracer37 View Post
Let the car warm up before driving it hard. DO NOT rev the motor at idle or when cold. If you take it to the track, which you SHOULD because you cannot even scratch the surface of the cars potential on the street. Let the car idle for 5-10 minutes post track then, using a wheel chock, hold the parking brake release in when shutting off the car. That way the parking break will not get stuck to the hot rotors. I just put an additional 200 miles on mine at Virginia International Raceway WOW what an incredible car.
Thanks for the info on how to keep the parking brake off. I was wondering about how to do that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in