Insane Display of 40+ McLarens in Hong Kong - McLaren Life
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By rlukgoat
  • 1 Post By Gum12345
  • 2 Post By rlukgoat
  • 1 Post By f1_oov
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-15-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Insane Display of 40+ McLarens in Hong Kong

Hong Kong McLaren Club's yearly gathering I was fortunate enough to attend.

Can-Am, Project Kilo, 720S, 570 spiders, 675LT's, and a sea of 12C's and 650S.

Check it out!
ima2nr and 720sforme like this.
rlukgoat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 01-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlukgoat View Post
Hong Kong McLaren Club's yearly gathering I was fortunate enough to attend.

Can-Am, Project Kilo, 720S, 570 spiders, 675LT's, and a sea of 12C's and 650S.

Check it out!
Where can one really drive a mcl in Hk given speed limit and traffic?
markj likes this.
Gum12345 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 01-15-2018, 02:09 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: here and there
Posts: 117
Driving a nice car should be great everywhere ;-)
Terrry is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 01-16-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gum12345 View Post
Where can one really drive a mcl in Hk given speed limit and traffic?
As long as you know where the speed cameras aren't and you get up at 7am to beat the traffic, you're good
scottishxj220 and nh4 like this.
rlukgoat is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 01-16-2018, 04:57 PM
InnerCircle
 
720sforme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SF Bay area
Posts: 654
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlukgoat View Post
As long as you know where the speed cameras aren't and you get up at 7am to beat the traffic, you're good
I found this on your dept of transportation website. I see there is no import tax but if true the registration tax seems exorbitant?

Step 5 : Calculation of First Registration Tax

The first registration tax will be derived from the taxable value of your vehicle times the appropriate tax rate. The rate is as shown below :-

Class of Motor Vehicle Rate of Tax
I. Private cars
(a) on the first $150,000 40%
(b) on the next $150,000 75%
(c) on the next $200,000 100%
(d) on the remainder 115%
II. Motor cycles and motor tricycles 35%
III. (a) Goods vehicles, other than van-type light goods vehicles (LGV) 15%
(b) Van-type LGV not exceeding 1.9 tonnes permitted gross vehicle weight:
(i) on the first $150,000 35%
(ii) on the next $150,000 65%
(iii) on the remainder 85%
(c) Van-type LGV exceeding 1.9 tonnes permitted gross vehicle weight 17%
IV. Taxis, Light buses, Buses and Special purpose vehicles 3.7%
Application for the registration and licensing of a left hand drive vehicle will not be accepted unless there are special circumstances.

Phil

_____________________________________________
2019 Porsche Cayenne S
2018 Porsche GT2RS
2018 McLaren 720S
720sforme is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 01-16-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720sforme View Post
I found this on your dept of transportation website. I see there is no import tax but if true the registration tax seems exorbitant?

Step 5 : Calculation of First Registration Tax

The first registration tax will be derived from the taxable value of your vehicle times the appropriate tax rate. The rate is as shown below :-

Class of Motor Vehicle Rate of Tax
I. Private cars
(a) on the first $150,000 40%
(b) on the next $150,000 75%
(c) on the next $200,000 100%
(d) on the remainder 115%
II. Motor cycles and motor tricycles 35%
III. (a) Goods vehicles, other than van-type light goods vehicles (LGV) 15%
(b) Van-type LGV not exceeding 1.9 tonnes permitted gross vehicle weight:
(i) on the first $150,000 35%
(ii) on the next $150,000 65%
(iii) on the remainder 85%
(c) Van-type LGV exceeding 1.9 tonnes permitted gross vehicle weight 17%
IV. Taxis, Light buses, Buses and Special purpose vehicles 3.7%
Application for the registration and licensing of a left hand drive vehicle will not be accepted unless there are special circumstances.


Yup. Anything above HKD $400,000 (around 51,000 USD) is taxed 115%. If a 12C costs USD$200,000 in the states, here it costs USD$410,000+. If you want to drive your car legally everyday, you must register it. However, you could get away with not registering your car (for example if you have a left hand drive and it can't legally be registered) and get a T plate, where you don't have to pay the extra 115% on top of MSRP, but you have to notify the government every time you take your car out (which is rarely), and on top of that T plates are increasingly hard to acquire.

Thats the reason why HK doesn't have any crazy or limited cars like P1s, P1 GTRs, 918s, LaFs, etc..
rlukgoat is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2018, 10:21 PM
Owner
InnerCircle
Owner
 
f1_oov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 720
Fantastic! Had to laugh at the Merc trying to get involved ...
rlukgoat likes this.

Catch me at: [URL=https://www.instagram.com/f1_oov/?hl=en[/URL]
f1_oov is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome