6Likes
  • 3 Post By Dave_Car_Guy
  • 1 Post By Dave_Car_Guy
  • 1 Post By Doc MD4-12C
  • 1 Post By Doc MD4-12C

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-02-2017, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

The McLaren gets an E-Type garage pal

I have loved the Jag E Type for as long as I can remember. Today, I took delivery of my new-to-me 1969 E Type Series 2: Hemi-head, dual OHC, Twin Stromberg carbs, big 4.2 liter 6-cylinder in red and black (apparently, a color scheme I like). The car has settled into my garage next to the 12C and is ready for some work to be done to it. She is a good "driver" quality car, not a concours nominee, and my first step is to drain and change all fluids, as I bought this at auction and knew she would need a little love. Taking her place in the garage I realize now that my collection is 3/8ths British. I never set out to do that, but the designs are some of my favorites. While it doesn't drive like a 12C, at least I can actually repair stuff on it!

Ritesh, Neil and rav1up like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-02-2017, 04:44 AM

Very nice addition to your great collection of sports cars! IIRC the E type takes about 9 quarts of engine oil and the transmission around 10!
Hope to see it at Blackhawk cars & coffee
post #3 of 14 Old 02-03-2017, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
Very nice addition to your great collection of sports cars! IIRC the E type takes about 9 quarts of engine oil and the transmission around 10!
Hope to see it at Blackhawk cars & coffee
Yes, luckily I upgraded the size of my oil drain pan when I had my Cayman S rebuilt to a 3.8L and 11 quart capacity!

I hope to have the car ready for Blackhawk CnC this Sunday, pre Super-Bowl (if it doesn't rain!)
eMcL likes this.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Owner

That's quite the stable. Two of my former playmates in there. I had a '61 XKE roadster and a Datsun 1500 set up for racing way back when. I love the size of your garage and the flooring!
post #5 of 14 Old 03-27-2017, 03:45 AM
Owner

Did you have to sell something Dave to make room in your garage for that beautiful E-Type?

Current: MP4-12C, Tesla Model S P85D
post #6 of 14 Old 03-27-2017, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Did you have to sell something Dave to make room in your garage for that beautiful E-Type?
Not really, although I did sell the 1967 Corvette roadster last year so there was plenty of room. There's a chance I sell another one in the next year to make room for a project (maybe another Datsun), but for now I'm pretty settled. Lots of work to do to the E Type to get it where I want it to be, so it'll keep me busy for a while!
post #7 of 14 Old 03-27-2017, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpel View Post
That's quite the stable. Two of my former playmates in there. I had a '61 XKE roadster and a Datsun 1500 set up for racing way back when. I love the size of your garage and the flooring!
Thanks! I'm curious if you miss the Datsun 1500 or the XKE at all? Sometimes I have a hard time letting go of certain cars!
post #8 of 14 Old 03-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Owner

Don't miss the Datsun, but the XKE was fun to drive and, as is obvious to anyone who's seen one, simply gorgeous. Balancing the three SU carbs, however, was very time intensive, and probably the only thing about the car I didn't enjoy. And yes, I miss it at times, especially when I see one on the road. With the top down, that 3.8 liter engine just sounded right.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-07-2017, 12:06 AM

Garage
My 61 E-Type roadster (No.437) is currently at Classic Showcase (Oceanside CA) for an 18 month concourse rotisserie restoration before it come back to join its sisters. You don't realize how much you miss it until its gone! Definately my favorite car despite the moss/truck gearbox.
Attached Images

post #10 of 14 Old 04-07-2017, 12:26 AM

Garage
This is my 61 E-type before restoration outside Classic Showcase. She will be back in May of 2018 in Opalescent gunmetal grey with a red interior. She does not look that perfect in real life!
Attached Images

Ritesh likes this.

Last edited by Doc MD4-12C; 04-07-2017 at 12:30 AM.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-07-2017, 12:55 AM
Owner

Looks good to me, and looks like it's BRG. My '63 was green with a light green leather interior. I'll have to hunt around for some photos I have.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-07-2017, 01:08 AM

Garage
It is supposed to be opalescent dark blue but the third owner had is repainted an incorrect metallic dark blue. I like opalescent gunmetal grey with red interior but the heritage certificate showed it to be originally opalescent dark blue with light blue interior and a navy blue top. Not sure if straying from original color will hurts its value but I'm not selling it anyway!
Scalpel likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-10-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc MD4-12C View Post
It is supposed to be opalescent dark blue but the third owner had is repainted an incorrect metallic dark blue. I like opalescent gunmetal grey with red interior but the heritage certificate showed it to be originally opalescent dark blue with light blue interior and a navy blue top. Not sure if straying from original color will hurts its value but I'm not selling it anyway!
She is a beauty, Doc!! I love the color choice you are going with, and can't wait to see it! My car is definitely a "driver", not a show car. Much of the work done by a previous owner in the 90s was sub-par (the underside of the bonnet was the worst part). So I've considered a full restoration but I think I want to drive it around this summer a bit to know how much I want to commit. Sounds like you are "All in" on yours, that's great! How long have you owned it?
post #14 of 14 Old 04-11-2017, 07:38 PM

Garage
I had my car for only 8 weeks before I sent it to Classic Showcase for a show level restoration in January of this year. The car will come back in Opalescent gunmetal grey with red interior. It will be restored to original specification which means it will have all the original problems which include overheating and the original slow moss gearbox with no first gear syncro. I'll use Evans waterless coolant to help with cooling and prevent corrosion. The car will operate at a 5-10% higher temp but Evans adds zero pressure to the cooling system as it boils at 375 C (much less chance of a head gasket or hose failure). I did have a series II car many years ago when I lived in the UK and they do not have any cooling issues that I can remember but I would recommend Evans to prevent internal corrosion. These are my favorite classic cars which still feel modern by todays standards. The E-type in 1961 is very similar to the 12c in 2012. Both cutting edge with innovative technology not seen in street cars at that price point. I'll post more pictures when I get my car back next spring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in