Garage floor options - McLaren Life
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage floor options

Hey guys,

I saw AM's thread and it got me motivated to finally upgrade my garage floor. I am starting this thread just as a reminder to me and also to keep all the info I have read lately in one place. If you guys have redone your garage floors then please post any comments pics etc.

http://allgaragefloors.com/epoxy-flooring/

http://teamspeed.com/forums/garage-f...-100-pics.html

12C- Spider, Maserati GT - Convert., NSX, Spec Miata
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Owner

Good idea Ritesh (please don't tell the missus what really motivates you though )

The (675) "Beast"
post #3 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 03:45 PM
Owner

Love the cars, garages and of course the flooring products being used. I love and support hard surface materials aka full body porcelain or natural stone. Cheers.....🍻🍻

post #4 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeride22 View Post
Love the cars, garages and of course the flooring products being used. I love and support hard surface materials aka full body porcelain or natural stone. Cheers.....����
Is that TILES then Ken,no fooling me I've seen the pictures

The (675) "Beast"
post #5 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy c View Post
Is that TILES then Ken,no fooling me I've seen the pictures

No attempts in trying to fool you andy, I'm just trying to be a little more precise in my observation of these beautiful garage floors. Cheers......🍻🍻
post #6 of 39 Old 09-01-2014, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

My house is 5 years old. The concrete slab is 6-7 feet deep. I would prefer tile but Epoxy will be quicker and less expensive.

Adding more links:

http://www.directlift.com/Four-Post-Lifts-C9.aspx

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/fou...fts/hd-7p.aspx

post #7 of 39 Old 09-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Owner

I have epoxy and looks nice but huge mistake if you get snow . would not do it again.
post #8 of 39 Old 09-02-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I don't get any snow but can you explain why Epoxy and Snow don't work.

The other thought is to just stain the concrete but Epoxy will help reduce noise and dust.

post #9 of 39 Old 09-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Owner

I'm thinking due it's slippery nature, unless you've adding sand or carborundum to the epoxy mix which would resolve that potential problem. Cheers......🍻🍻
post #10 of 39 Old 09-02-2014, 10:57 PM

Mine is epoxy with multiple color chips distributed throughout for grip and aesthetics. Sort of a mocha/black/white theme. It's definitely not slippery and cleans up nicely. Many color options. I do notice it is a tad harder to sweep but it is extremely resistant to corrosive fluids.
post #11 of 39 Old 10-21-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh View Post
My house is 5 years old. The concrete slab is 6-7 feet deep. I would prefer tile but Epoxy will be quicker and less expensive.
6'-7 feet deep? is that a bomb shelter or a garage??
dt34 likes this.
post #12 of 39 Old 10-21-2014, 01:22 PM
Owner
Owner

I am going to throw my 2 cents in. I am in the business and manufacture floor coatings for concrete, along with about 1400 other products for the concrete industry.

I am including a few pictures of my garage floor.

To start it all depends on what you are looking for? Showroom looks, Durability, ease of Maintenance, etc....

There are a lot of products out there, some for DYI'rs and some for Professional applications.

The DIY products are typically formulated to be easy to apply. So they compromise on the durability to do this.

Not to promote my own products, but as a car guy I formulated what I thought was the best product for garages. The product we manufacture is a PolyHydroxy compound which is designed to resist everything ( battery acid, brake fluid, Gearbox fluid etc...) basically anything that a car can leak. The product is impenetrable. So your concrete floor maintains its look without any stains, and has a glass like finish. Fluids just sit on the surface and are easily wiped up with a paper towel.

The downside is that if you get snow on it and the concrete is smooth you will end up flat on your ass pretty fast or at a minimum look like Bambi on ice. I know as I have ended up on my ass a few times.You can add silica sand to the sealer to provide abrasive anti slip so this is correctable. To get the best look, the floor should be new without any stains or oil spots, the product will cover oil stains but the finish is not perfect. Also there should not be any sealer already on the floor that would prevent the sealer from penetrating, this goes for any product.

Here are a few pictures of my floor, these are not retouched in anyway. and I have added the brochure. The product is called Durmax, it is a 2 part product, moisture cure,

The concrete itself is integrally colored Buff with highlights of Brown added during troweling.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf SealerComparison_en.pdf (1.26 MB, 278 views)

12 XKR-S 03 Lotus Esprit
06 Ford GT 83 DMC-12
66 Sunbeam Tiger -91 MR2
72 E Type
77 Datsun 280Z
15 Jag XJ
96 911 C4
08 MB SLK55
14 50-12C
15 F Type R
16 Project 7
16 Aston Martin DB 9 GT Bond edition
17 Aston Martin Vantage V12 S 7 Sp Manual
18 Project 8
19 I Pace
22 Aston Project 003 on order
post #13 of 39 Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Owner

Have to say Zach that is the most impressive natural concrete finish I've ever seen,unfortunatly my ass is too skinny to risk the impending impact ,but still its looks too good to be real

The (675) "Beast"
post #14 of 39 Old 12-02-2014, 03:34 AM
Owner

Zach,
for a commercial building such as service area of a dealership, what would you rate Stonhard product vs automotive grade tile?
post #15 of 39 Old 12-02-2014, 03:48 AM
Owner

How does this hold up in a working garage with jack stands, metal-wheeled jacks and engine hoists, dropped parts and tools? Cost per squared foot?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in