McLaren at Indy 2019 - McLaren Life
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-09-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

McLaren at Indy 2019

As McLaren are an official entrant in this year's 500, I thought we should have a thread for the race. Yesterday in Woking they launched Alonso's car:
Attached Images

Bendrover, Craigy and Twinscroll like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-09-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

A few other images:
Attached Images

post #3 of 26 Old 04-10-2019, 04:36 PM

Did McLaren miss April 1?

post #4 of 26 Old 04-14-2019, 03:43 AM

MotorSport.com

By: David Malsher

McLaren CEO Zak Brown has admitted that it is probably only a matter of time before McLaren joins the NTT IndyCar Series with a full-time team, although whether that happens in 2020 or 2021 has still not been decided.

Following McLaren’s return to the Indianapolis 500 with Fernando Alonso as part of the Andretti Autosport team in 2017, McLaren and Alonso are heading back to IMS this year with an independent project, albeit in a relationship with sophomore IndyCar squad Carlin Racing which will see an exchange of data and feedback.

Attending the Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach to compete in one of the support races, Brown told media that McLaren shareholders are very interested in joining the NTT IndyCar Series fulltime, now that leading roles in the company’s F1 squad have been filled.

“We're a big fan of this racing series,” he said. “I think Mark Miles and team have done an excellent job. The racing is outstanding – great teams, great drivers, great venues. So it's a place that McLaren would like to race.

“We've been very focused on Formula 1, and we remain very focused on Formula 1, but I've now completed the hiring of the balance of the leadership for the Formula 1 team now that James Key has started as technical director and Andreas Seidl is the managing director of the Formula 1 team. He'll join next month, and we really needed to get that completed.

“And so, going ahead and getting the equipment, making the investment in doing Indianapolis this year in the way we are is another step in that direction.

“There is no doubt that the shareholders at McLaren would like to be in IndyCar. I think it’s more of a when than an if, and if we were to do it for 2020, I think we’d need to make that decision in the summer in order to be properly prepared.

“So it's nothing that we've ruled out for 2020, and that decision will come some time in the summer, and if not then, then we'll look towards 2021.”

McLaren built a strong legacy in Indy car racing in the 1970s, both as a works team, and through other teams – notably Penske – running McLaren chassis. Three times the Indy 500 winner was racing a McLaren (Mark Donohue in 1972, Johnny Rutherford in ’74 and ’76), while Roger McCluskey in ’73 and Tom Sneva in ’77 landed the Indy car championship driving McLarens. By the time the brand pulled out of Indy car racing at the end of 1979, it had amassed 28 race victories
https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...-time/4370283/
post #5 of 26 Old 04-14-2019, 10:57 AM
AWH

It just seems kinda weird to have a "factory effort" when all the cars are spec chassis, with spec aero, and choice of only two engines (neither of which is McLaren). There is nothing "McLaren" about the car.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-14-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWH View Post
It just seems kinda weird to have a "factory effort" when all the cars are spec chassis, with spec aero, and choice of only two engines (neither of which is McLaren). There is nothing "McLaren" about the car.
Is there anything "Penske" or "Ganassi" about other cars? McLaren Racing have a factory where they design and construct racing cars. The rules do not allow them to design their own Indycar, although they assemble their Indycar at their factory and I have no doubt that at the factory McLaren have worked on race simulations and suspension and aero settings. The McLaren effort at Indy this year will involve the factory in ways it did not in 2017, when all McLaren really did was to arrange a sponsor package for an Andretti Racing team car (and supply the driver).
Kannito likes this.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-15-2019, 12:43 AM
AWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
Is there anything "Penske" or "Ganassi" about other cars?

Penske and Ganassi do not make road cars.

And yes, I know McLaren started as a racing org, and still is to a large degree. But it is no longer their primary business.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-15-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
.. I know McLaren started as a racing org, and still is to a large degree. But it is no longer their primary business.
Agreed.
McLaren wants to capitalize on its racing DNA and use that great history to brand and promote its cars.
The problem for McLaren is that the recent years of F1 racing performance is a poor reflection of past glories and at this time there is no clear indication of the path to F1 success. Hiring experts is a good start but it takes many years and monies to acquire/develop the R and D knowledge of a Mercedes ...
McLaren as a standalone entrant into Indy500 will have a tough time . my guess is that Andretti made it look easy and now McLaren with no Honda relationship is stuck with having to go it 'alone' ...
post #9 of 26 Old 04-15-2019, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Penske and Ganassi do not make road cars.

And yes, I know McLaren started as a racing org, and still is to a large degree. But it is no longer their primary business.
Sorry, but I don't see what road cars have to do with the question. By "factory" in this context, one is normally referring to a place where racing cars are built, such as Williams Racing. Ferrari's primary business is making road cars, although there is no doubt that they operate a racing car factory as well.

The question is whether a racing car "factory" must be a place where the car is designed and built from scratch, or rather whether it can also be a place where a car in a spec or semi-spec series is assembled, modified, set up and repaired. In this case, I think one can at least say that McLaren have a racing car factory (for F1) where they also assemble and prepare a spec car for Indianapolis.
post #10 of 26 Old 04-15-2019, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
Agreed.
McLaren wants to capitalize on its racing DNA and use that great history to brand and promote its cars.
The problem for McLaren is that the recent years of F1 racing performance is a poor reflection of past glories and at this time there is no clear indication of the path to F1 success. Hiring experts is a good start but it takes many years and monies to acquire/develop the R and D knowledge of a Mercedes ...
McLaren as a standalone entrant into Indy500 will have a tough time . my guess is that Andretti made it look easy and now McLaren with no Honda relationship is stuck with having to go it 'alone' ...
Yes, single entrant teams in all formulae are at a disadvantage to the multi-entrant teams, be that Andretti, Hendrick or Ferrari.

The funny thing is that, although McLaren's results in F1 in the last few years have been mediocre, the amount of engineering sophistication at their F1 team is enormous, and their road cars benefit from it. (Not sure how much the typical Mercedes road car benefits from Merc's F1 engineering prowess.) The brain power at even slow, impecunious Williams Racing dwarfs the brain power at Lamborghini or Aston Martin. The C-X75 seemed like an interesting prospect; a shame it was never made.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-15-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
The funny thing is that, although McLaren's results in F1 in the last few years have been mediocre, the amount of engineering sophistication at their F1 team is enormous, and their road cars benefit from it. (Not sure how much the typical Mercedes road car benefits from Merc's F1 engineering prowess.) The brain power at even slow, impecunious Williams Racing dwarfs the brain power at Lamborghini or Aston Martin. The C-X75 seemed like an interesting prospect; a shame it was never made.
Yes agreed that McLaren's participation in F1 has a direct benefit to their high performance road car development. And I hope that McLaren continues to participate in F1 even if the results remain mediocre. However in my opinion there is no comparison between the Mercedes/Ferrari/VAG knowledge and McLaren for a start McLaren would be hard put to develop a PU that matches the current Mercedes et al. The technical patent portfolio of Mercedes is tremendous.
post #12 of 26 Old 04-15-2019, 09:34 AM
AWH

Quote:
Agreed.
The problem for McLaren is that the recent years of F1 racing performance is a poor reflection of past glories — and at this time there is no clear indication of the path to F1 success. Hiring experts is a good start but it takes many years and monies to acquire/develop the R and D knowledge of a Mercedes ...
McLaren as a standalone entrant into Indy500 will have a tough time …. my guess is that Andretti made it look easy and now McLaren with no Honda relationship is stuck with having to go it 'alone' ...

And that's how I see it.

In short, "we are sucking in F1 results, which is not helping our brand image, so let's try to win somewhere else"

Having bucket-list, near-retirement Alonso along for the ride provides the catalyst.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-15-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Yes agreed that McLaren's participation in F1 has a direct benefit to their high performance road car development. And I hope that McLaren continues to participate in F1 even if the results remain mediocre. However in my opinion there is no comparison between the Mercedes/Ferrari/VAG knowledge and McLaren for a start McLaren would be hard put to develop a PU that matches the current Mercedes et al. The technical patent portfolio of Mercedes is tremendous.
True, but engine/PU knowledge is, I would say, its own separate category. In all the series that come to mind, even going back, the engine is considered a component of the car while "the car" is the chassis. Hence an F1 entrant must design and produce their own chassis, and nobody cares (from a rules perspective) where they get their engines. So, yes, if one includes the knowledge possessed by a racing team's engine department, then that knowledge combined with the knowledge of their chassis people will be greater than the knowledge of another team that has a chassis department but no engine department.

On that basis the Renault organisation have more total knowledge than say Red Bull do. If Lawrence Stroll were to go out and buy Pirelli, however, I don't think we would then say that Racing Point the organisation have more knowledge about how to make racing cars than Renault do. Indeed, a lot of people are wetting their pants over the prospect of the forthcoming Valkyrie, and that is because of its Red Bull (Newey) DNA. If Renault were to build their own "fastest, least inhibited track car in the world" with F1-type driver positioning, et al, I doubt that the reception would be nearly as rapturous as the Valkyrie's has been, although the company making it would "know more" than Red Bull do.

I am getting into dancing-on-the-head-of-a-pin territory. My original point was that, when car enthusiasts start judging road cars by the car maker's success in F1 racing, they fail to appreciate that even the least successful F1 racing teams are populated by tremendously smart folks, and the primary differentiator of success these days is not the average brain power of the team members but rather the sheer numbers of them on the different teams.
worldattorney likes this.
post #14 of 26 Old 04-15-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
And that's how I see it.

In short, "we are sucking in F1 results, which is not helping our brand image, so let's try to win somewhere else"

Having bucket-list, near-retirement Alonso along for the ride provides the catalyst.
Could be, although it's been argued on this thread that Americans don't much care about F1. About 40% of McLaren's sales are into the US, and therefore it might make sense for McLaren to raise its racing profile in the place where it has the most customers, and in a series where you don't have to spend $300m a year to have any chance of winning a race.
post #15 of 26 Old 04-15-2019, 10:00 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in