McLaren at Indy 2019 - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 7Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 26 Unread 04-15-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
After all these years of practising the fastest-possible pit stops, these guys have got rather good at working quickly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Unread 04-15-2019, 10:24 PM
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Agreed.
McLaren wants to capitalize on its racing DNA and use that great history to brand and promote its cars.
The problem for McLaren is that the recent years of F1 racing performance is a poor reflection of past glories — and at this time there is no clear indication of the path to F1 success. Hiring experts is a good start but it takes many years and monies to acquire/develop the R and D knowledge of a Mercedes ...
McLaren as a standalone entrant into Indy500 will have a tough time …. my guess is that Andretti made it look easy and now McLaren with no Honda relationship is stuck with having to go it 'alone' ...
i actually think differently.... i feel taht because they have been used to building their own cars to their own design, they are much more versed in solving issues and finding performance.. i think the fact that it is a spec chassis may make some 'lazy'... i think mclaren will find ways to exploit performance that others have not perhaps thought of, or look at it it in a different way...
post #18 of 26 Unread 04-16-2019, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
i actually think differently.... i feel taht because they have been used to building their own cars to their own design, they are much more versed in solving issues and finding performance.. i think the fact that it is a spec chassis may make some 'lazy'... i think mclaren will find ways to exploit performance that others have not perhaps thought of, or look at it it in a different way...
Yeah not sure what part of my post you are referring to but if it was this :- “McLaren as a standalone entrant into Indy500 will have a tough time …. my guess is that Andretti made it look easy and now McLaren with no Honda relationship is stuck with having to go it 'alone' ... “

The post wasn’t about McLaren’s capability to field an Indy500 car, more about the difficulty of obtaining a win against multi car entries from competitors and their wingmen. Look at the current line up — last year Andretti provided wingman support for Alonso — this year Alonso will be alone, in a team of one, amongst the good ol’ boys — of course they will have a soft spot for a ‘furrin’ F1 team and be really helpful, oh I must be dreaming … Maybe team Carlin will help?

A.J. Foyt Racing (Chevrolet)
Tony Kanaan
Matheus Leist
Andretti Autosport (Honda)
Ryan Hunter-Reay
Alexander Rossi
Marco Andretti
Zach Veach
Conor Daly
Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsport (Honda)
James Hinchcliffe
Marcus Ericsson
TBD
Carlin Racing (Chevrolet)
Max Chilton
Charlie Kimball
TBD
Chip Ganassi Racing (Honda)
Scott Dixon
Felix Rosenqvist
Clauson-Marshall Racing (Chevrolet)
TBD
Dale Coyne Racing (Honda)
Sebastien Bourdais
Santino Ferrucci
TBD
DragonSpeed (Chevrolet)
Ben Hanley
Dreyer & Reinbold Racing (Chevrolet)
TBD
TBD
Ed Carpenter Racing (Chevrolet)
Ed Carpenter
Spencer Pigot
Ed Jones
Harding Steinbrenner Racing (Honda)
Colton Herta
TBD
Juncos Racing (Chevrolet)
TBD
TBD
McLaren Racing (Chevrolet)
Fernando Alonso
Meyer Shank Racing (Honda)
Jack Harvey
Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (Honda)
Graham Rahal
Takuma Sato
Jordan King
Team Penske (Chevrolet)
Will Power
Josef Newgarden
Simon Pagenaud
Helio Castroneves
https://racer.com/2019/02/25/insight...ries-in-years/

Last edited by eMcL; 04-16-2019 at 02:31 AM.

post #19 of 26 Unread 04-16-2019, 11:53 AM

Indy 500 Q&A: Carlin talks McLaren alliance, possibility of 2020 partnership
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ind...amp/3060984002
post #20 of 26 Unread 04-16-2019, 06:29 PM

New Britain likes this.
post #21 of 26 Unread 04-16-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Very articulate explanations from Gil. (One wishes that the interviewer had not kept interrupting with stupid remarks.)
post #22 of 26 Unread 04-16-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
Very articulate explanations from Gil. (One wishes that the interviewer had not kept interrupting with stupid remarks.)
Yes impressive; — great to hear from Gil, adds to the anticipation
post #23 of 26 Unread 04-16-2019, 09:42 PM
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Yeah not sure what part of my post you are referring to but if it was this :- “McLaren as a standalone entrant into Indy500 will have a tough time …. my guess is that Andretti made it look easy and now McLaren with no Honda relationship is stuck with having to go it 'alone' ... “

The post wasn’t about McLaren’s capability to field an Indy500 car, more about the difficulty of obtaining a win against multi car entries from competitors and their wingmen. Look at the current line up — last year Andretti provided wingman support for Alonso — this year Alonso will be alone, in a team of one, amongst the good ol’ boys — of course they will have a soft spot for a ‘furrin’ F1 team and be really helpful, oh I must be dreaming … Maybe team Carlin will help?

A.J. Foyt Racing (Chevrolet)
Tony Kanaan
Matheus Leist
Andretti Autosport (Honda)
Ryan Hunter-Reay
Alexander Rossi
Marco Andretti
Zach Veach
Conor Daly
Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsport (Honda)
James Hinchcliffe
Marcus Ericsson
<acronym title="To be discussed">TBD</acronym>
Carlin Racing (Chevrolet)
Max Chilton
Charlie Kimball
Chip Ganassi Racing (Honda)
Scott Dixon
Felix Rosenqvist
Clauson-Marshall Racing (Chevrolet)
Dale Coyne Racing (Honda)
Sebastien Bourdais
Santino Ferrucci
DragonSpeed (Chevrolet)
Ben Hanley
Dreyer & Reinbold Racing (Chevrolet)
Ed Carpenter Racing (Chevrolet)
Ed Carpenter
Spencer Pigot
Ed Jones
Harding Steinbrenner Racing (Honda)
Colton Herta
Juncos Racing (Chevrolet)
McLaren Racing (Chevrolet)
Fernando Alonso
Meyer Shank Racing (Honda)
Jack Harvey
Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (Honda)
Graham Rahal
Takuma Sato
Jordan King
Team Penske (Chevrolet)
Will Power
Josef Newgarden
Simon Pagenaud
Helio Castroneves
https://racer.com/2019/02/25/insight...ries-in-years/
Yes perhaps I slightly misinterpreted your post. You’re right he won’t have any wingman although I wonder if Andretti won’t be enlisted with some help. Their name is all over Uniteds cars after all. But you’re right of course. I was indeed referring to their ability to engineer the car, rather than the other aspects you refer to.
eMcL likes this.
post #24 of 26 Unread Today, 05:49 PM

https://www.cars.mclaren.press/releases/695
------------------------------------
MOTORSPORT.COM
By: David Malsher

McLaren Automotive has confirmed a multi-year agreement with IMSA which will see Compass Racing running a McLaren 720S GT3 in the Sprint Cup, starting at the next round in Mid-Ohio.

IMSA’s WeatherTech Sprint Cup will support the full WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, and is open to GT Daytona class competitors. Following the round in Mid-Ohio, the championship will race at Detroit’s Belle Isle, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, Lime Rock Park, Road America, Virginia International Raceway, and WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca.

Compass Racing has scored 30 wins in IMSA competition, including the Michelin Pilot Challenge event at Daytona with the McLaren 570S GT4, and as revealed last December, will run its 720S for McLaren factory driver Paul Holton and Matt Plumb, with the pair contesting all seven rounds of the 2019 Sprint Cup season.

Dan Walmsley, motorsport director at McLaren Automotive, commented: “The popularity of GT3 racing in North America has dramatically grown over recent seasons and the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship is one of the most competitive GT series in the world.

“With the North American market the largest for McLaren Automotive, it is great to have customer teams racing with the 720S GT3 in such an exciting and well-supported championship; we are proud to partner with IMSA and having McLaren cars competing in the GTD class from 2019 is an important and significant moment for McLaren Customer Racing.”
https://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news...mpass/4373386/
Attached Images

Last edited by eMcL; Today at 05:57 PM.
post #25 of 26 Unread Today, 05:53 PM

The car looks so simple and basic next to a F1 car.
I hope he pulls off the win!
post #26 of 26 Unread Today, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinscroll View Post
The car looks so simple and basic next to a F1 car.
I hope he pulls off the win!
Yes that would be great!

But just participating has a value in the USA as it promotes and expands McLaren brand recognition — the most common question in the gas station is "what is it?"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in