Who no McLaren road racing? - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 26 Old 03-08-2019, 02:54 PM

The GT4 program, Was moved from CRS to McLaren in-house. The McLaren Pure events have factory support.

Last edited by Twinscroll; 03-08-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 03-08-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinscroll View Post
The GT4 program, Was moved from CRS to McLaren in-house. The McLaren Pure events have factory support.
I'm asking about GT racing, not factory events. Pirelli Challenge, Weathertech series, Blancpain series.
post #18 of 26 Old 03-08-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpel View Post
I'm asking about GT racing, not factory events. Pirelli Challenge, Weathertech series, Blancpain series.
My knowledge was that the GT3 car was going to be backed by McLaren a bit. But that was from the media. (Fake News?)

post #19 of 26 Old 03-11-2019, 09:34 AM
Owner
Owner

Quote:
@ Mikeyb, since you obviously have the best perspective on this, please correct me if I'm wrong: I thought that, since there are amateur classes in both GT3 and GT4, that factory involvement with mechanics, parts and race prep was present in all but the amateur divisions. Perhaps the distinction is only whether or not the drivers are full-time professionals? And if so, why is there only one team that I've noticed in any series that fields a McLaren? Is it because there's too much difficulty getting parts or making repairs? Thanks for your insights.
not sure that this is right scalpel...

there will be all pro teams, but there are equally teams with pro cars and pro am cars and maybe even some with Am car in there as well..

M sport run just bentleys with pro drivers for example...

but there are boundless GT3 teams that run just pro cars but aren't factory teams... WRT run Audi, Grasser run Lamborghini.. walkenhorst run BMW...

the interaction of the factories is nuanced... for example a couple of years ago all mercedes teams were penalised in the spa 24h when they were all given what was ruled an illegal engine map by the manufacturer... so the manufacturers support the teams in GT3 but mostly equally...

pretty much at all the big GT3 meetings where there are multiple teams running multiple cars, the factory will be there with their support to assist the teams.. this is normal across racing in general... Teo martin used to get factory support from BMW in GT open in the form of an articulated lorry was present at every event with spares and technicians... all the chassis manufacturers will have a presence at ACO events, be they Ligier, Norma, Dallara, Oreca etc, as will the engine manufacturers..

as for the reasons why there are few 720 GT3 out in the world yet, the reason for that is simple.. the GT3 car was delayed a year due to the split between CRS and Mclaren.. obviously the damage to the brand has been real in the GT world where teams have moved away from mclaren during the switch as they felt quite rightly no doubt that they would not receive the support that they needed... K Pax in the US is a good example, but equally there are always two sides to the story and Teo Martin, after a terrible time with BMW despite the factory support are running two new 720 in GT Open.. team Goh are running in the japanese GT, Balfe Motorsport are running the British GT... its true there aren't any cars in the Blancpain this year, nor at this late stage are there likely to be...

the racing department has some credibility to rebuild now, but hopefully if the car is reliable and well supported they can start down that road.. at least its a little clearer which direction that road is taking now, so that should give potential teams some encouragement..
A West and Scalpel like this.
post #20 of 26 Old 03-16-2019, 11:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
some odd comments here.

think you need to distinguish between GT3/4 and GTE...

GTE is often the factories themselves ... porsche, ford, aston, ferrari... etc.. these are factory efforts with factory drivers... Bentley, Lamborghini, Honda, do not have factory GTE cars... mclaren have looked at it a lot, the senna GTR could easily have been a GTE in my view..

the reason i think that mclaren hasn't committed to GTE is because they would like to win Le Mans outright... which a GTE car will never do.. so they're heavily involved with the ACO about what the top class of the WEC will look like going forward.. equally am sure that they don't want to do both LMP1 (or whatever it becomes) and GTE on grounds of cost...

GT3/4 is much more customer racing, where the factories produce the car but then the cars are run by teams that are independent of the factories... this is supposedly to make it more interesting for the independent teams as running against a full factory team is unlikely to produce a positive result.. in practice of course the line is very hazy, with the factories often being heavily involved, supplying technical assistance etc... AF corse is a good example of an almost factory team, and M sport likewise with Bentley... garage 59 was to all intents and purposes was the mclaren factory team, but for now mclaren prefer to be a hands off manufacturer in GT3...

as regards the comment about mclaren being a tech company first and a race company second, i couldn't disagree more... they are still a race company foremost.. even if they are much more diverse than they once were.. the Sheikh and Mansour are passionate about racing and have been involved for a good deal of time.. just becuase Ron is no longer there doesn't mean to say the ethos of the company has changed, even if you can understand that Ron was always about F1.. they're doing Indy for the first time in a very long time this year, just in case that little point was missed..

if the climate is right, i think you'll see mclaren do a full factory attempt on the WEC and le mans, but i don't think that that climate has yet presented itself..
I sat next to Mclarens Motorsport Director Dan Walmsley last night and found him engaging and passionate in Mclarens future program in GT racing including involvement in WEC. He has acknowledged mistakes over the past period but is intent on going forward in the correct way. They flew him to Melbourne to oversee the 720 in the race (which won in its first race then they restricted it down 50hp) He came with a lot of support and training for the local team.

He seems the right guy for the job and has the factory behind him
Scalpel likes this.
post #21 of 26 Old 03-17-2019, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_p View Post
I sat next to Mclarens Motorsport Director Dan Walmsley last night and found him engaging and passionate in Mclarens future program in GT racing including involvement in WEC. He has acknowledged mistakes over the past period but is intent on going forward in the correct way. They flew him to Melbourne to oversee the 720 in the race (which won in its first race then they restricted it down 50hp) He came with a lot of support and training for the local team.

Which race was a 720 competing in??
post #22 of 26 Old 03-17-2019, 08:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Which race was a 720 competing in??
Melbourne Grand Prix GT Championship
post #23 of 26 Old 03-17-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
McLaren's profit, not gross revenue, in 2017 was over $86 million dollars. Enough, I think, to support a GT team. I'd like to see them in GT racing. All I'm hearing are excuses as to why they're not doing it, not any data that would show why it's not feasible. I've gone to F1, group 6, and CanAm racing since I was a kid, and love it. Personally, therefore, I'm disappointed that my vehicle of choice right now is built by a company without a sporting, competitive nature beyond F1, that showcases their sports cars. I guess, from the responses I'm seeing, that no one else feels that way.
Mclaren did NOT make 86mn in 2017. the group lost money.
post #24 of 26 Old 03-17-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Melbourne Grand Prix GT Championship
in the invitational class as car isnt homolgated and didnt score any points.... But car is looking good, had the pleasure of seeing it on track at Paul Ricard this week, and it looks great
ChrisK1982 likes this.
post #25 of 26 Old 03-18-2019, 11:13 AM
Owner
Owner

Quote:

Yes. He’s a top fellow. For sure they’re making the right noises and moves with him in place.
post #26 of 26 Old 03-18-2019, 09:59 PM

Dan Walmsley, Motorsport Director, McLaren Automotive.
New McLaren 720S GT3 takes victory in Melbourne on customer debut
18 Mar 2019
Customer team 59Racing secures historic first-ever pole positon and race win for the McLaren 720S GT3
Victory at Melbourne’s Albert Park for the track-only Super Series model on competitive customer debut
Race wins and further podium finishes for McLaren 570S GT4 in Australia and United States
The McLaren 720S GT3 scored pole position and a memorable victory on its first ever race in customer hands during the opening round of the Australian GT Championship at the Albert Park circuit in Melbourne, Australia. Newly-launched McLaren customer team 59Racing enjoyed strong results in both the GT3 and GT4 categories, racing as part of the support package for the opening round of the 2019 Formula 1 World Championship. The 570S GT4 of customer team Motorsports In Action also performed well in the United States to secure a podium finish, and now leads the Michelin Pilot Challenge.
The 720S GT3 made its customer team debut at the iconic Melbourne street circuit, driven by Australian GT regular Fraser Ross. The experience of the Melbourne local, combined with the strengths of the newly-developed 720S GT3, were evident over a one-lap sprint as he claimed P2 in the first qualifying session and topping the timesheets during the second qualifying session to secure the first ever pole position for the car.
The first of the weekend’s racing action saw Ross in a three-way battle for the lead throughout the opening laps of the 25-minute sprint race. A bold move in the latter stages of the race saw Ross take the lead and then gradually extend the gap to the chasing pack, eventually crossing the line with a 2.2 second lead to record the historic debut victory for the team and for the McLaren 720S GT3. Building on this success, the second race saw further silverware as Ross steered the 720S GT3 to a hard-fought P2 finish, and second podium of the weekend.
The 570S GT4 of 59Racing also enjoyed a strong weekend, driven by Ryan Simpson. Making his first ever race start in a McLaren, Simpson narrowly missed out on GT4 class victory in the opening race, crossing the line in P2. From here, the 31-year old went on to improve this result with three victories in the remaining races of the weekend.
The track-only Sports Series model was also racing in the USA over the weekend, in the support races at the FIA World Endurance Championship-IMSA double-header event at Sebring International Raceway in Florida. Customer team Motorsports In Action continued its strong start to the season with a second consecutive podium finish in the Michelin Pilot Challenge Grand Sport class.
Throughout the two-hour race, drivers Corey Fergus and Jesse Lazare were in the hunt for the overall race lead. As the race entered the final few laps, the duo in the #69 570S GT4 was still pushing for the top step of the podium. Despite their best efforts, and with the chasing pack closing the gap, the pair eventually crossed the line P3. As a result, the Canadian outfit now leads in the overall championship standings.
“This weekend has been hugely significant for our customer teams and the 720S GT3, but also for McLaren Customer Racing. I’d like to pass on my congratulations to 59Racing for taking pole position and race wins with both the 720S GT3 and 570S GT4 on the first outing for the team. Also, well done to Motorsports In Action after a great result in Sebring, which sees them now leading the championship.
“Any race win is a significant achievement, especially against such strong opposition. However, this first win for the 720S GT3 is a particularly proud moment for McLaren Customer Racing. We have seen the car performing strongly throughout the testing programme, but it is really great to see the car competing on track with the first of our customer teams, and hitting the ground running with a pole position and race win straight out of the box is a very strong foundation on which to build.”
Attached Images

Scalpel likes this.

Last edited by eMcL; 03-18-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in