Le Mans 2018 - McLaren Life
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 05-31-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner

Le Mans 2018

start the discussion

do like what Porsche have done with their (only) garages this year..

http://www.dailysportscar.com/wp-con...-Mans-2018.jpg
eMcL likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-31-2018, 04:51 PM

Yes McLaren at Le Mans again reliving No. 59 will be great…..

McLaren Wants to Race the Senna
If McLaren's most track-focused product seems to be the perfect base for a GTE race car, that's because it is. Woking is fully aware of that.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ace-the-senna/
post #3 of 38 Old 05-31-2018, 07:16 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
They better show they can win, contrary to F1

post #4 of 38 Old 05-31-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
Yes McLaren at Le Mans again reliving No. 59 will be great…..

McLaren Wants to Race the Senna
If McLaren's most track-focused product seems to be the perfect base for a GTE race car, that's because it is. Woking is fully aware of that.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ace-the-senna/
I think things have moved on since then heh. ;-)
eMcL likes this.
post #5 of 38 Old 05-31-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobroux View Post
They better show they can win, contrary to F1
Yes formula 1 is a work in progress…….

But this was fantastic!
http://www.evo.co.uk/mclaren/11169/m...-mans-24-hours
A West and Huahincraig like this.
post #6 of 38 Old 06-01-2018, 07:01 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
Yes formula 1 is a work in progress…….

But this was fantastic!
http://www.evo.co.uk/mclaren/11169/m...-mans-24-hours
Great story, thanks for posting!
eMcL likes this.
post #7 of 38 Old 06-01-2018, 08:32 PM

post #8 of 38 Old 06-04-2018, 01:59 AM

Fernando Alonso tops 24 Hours of Le Mans test day for Toyota

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/18462
post #9 of 38 Old 06-07-2018, 01:05 PM
isv
Owner

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...ncept-greenlit

Have to say, I'm not hugely in favour of silhouette racing cars just to give the impression of being like whatever current car the manufacturers are keen to market but given GTE/GT3 is exactly that already perhaps it makes sense for the LMP1s to follow.
post #10 of 38 Old 06-07-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...ncept-greenlit

Have to say, I'm not hugely in favour of silhouette racing cars just to give the impression of being like whatever current car the manufacturers are keen to market but given GTE/GT3 is exactly that already perhaps it makes sense for the LMP1s to follow.
if it helps with marketing and so forth then I am all for it..

the interesting thing is something that was pinpointed last year although it is a common point.. when you turn up to le mans, people are carrying Ferrari, ford, Porsche, Toyota flags .. not necessarily in that order...

they rarely carry ligier, oreca or Dallara, or Gibson etc etc..

its the big brands that are supported, even if there were really two only in the top class... if the top class of racing becomes Ferrari v Porsche v Toyota v mclaren v Peugeot v audi and you can cheer on your preferred brand AND it vaguely resembles your dream car, can only think it's a good thing..
TTM0TION and A West like this.
post #11 of 38 Old 06-07-2018, 01:55 PM

I absolutely love Le Mans weekend. I normally pull an all nighter and don't miss a thing. This year due to some poor planning I'll be in London with my wife who entertains my hobby but not enough for a red eye blast to Le Mans burning two days of vacation lol.

Are there any places to watch LM in London? I have reciprocity to RAC but do they show anything there?

-no McLaren...yet
post #12 of 38 Old 06-07-2018, 11:01 PM
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
if the top class of racing becomes Ferrari v Porsche v Toyota v mclaren v Peugeot v audi and you can cheer on your preferred brand AND it vaguely resembles your dream car, can only think it's a good thing..
It's exactly that which I disagree with I guess, the pretence that the road car will be in any way actually related to the actual racing prototype car just because the race car has some visual styling cues taken from it and therefore which a good many people then extrapolate to meaning road car X is better/faster than road car Y due to the racing results.
post #13 of 38 Old 06-08-2018, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
It's exactly that which I disagree with I guess, the pretence that the road car will be in any way actually related to the actual racing prototype car just because the race car has some visual styling cues taken from it and therefore which a good many people then extrapolate to meaning road car X is better/faster than road car Y due to the racing results.
ha, well that's being a little idealistic isn't it... crikey .. look at NASCAR where the lights are painted on..

at the end of the day if the manufacturers are paying then I guess it makes more sense for them to race something that their fans can relate to, IF it seems that more manufacturers prefer to race something that resembles their road cars, and that increases participation and fan involvement it can only be a good thing..

I think the number of manufacturers in the top class currently numbers 1..

and I guess if we agree that race cars don't resemble road cars, then we can perhaps accept that father chrismtas doesn't exist either..

Last edited by Mikeyb; 06-08-2018 at 09:32 AM.
post #14 of 38 Old 06-11-2018, 06:22 PM

open link for photos

CARBUZZ
New Rulebook Opens The Door For Hypercars To Race At Le Mans

McLaren Senna and Aston Martin Valkyrie among the leading contenders.

The latest hypercars promise to absolutely shatter our notions of what we thought the automobile could do – on road, and track. Now it looks like they're about to undergo their biggest test yet. At its most recent meeting, the FIA's World Motor Sport Council approved a radical new plan for the World Endurance Championship and its headline event, the 24 Hours of Le Mans. And while the details are still being worked out, the bottom line is that it will mean converting hypercars like the Aston Martin Valkyrie and McLaren Senna to race spec.

Set to come into effect in 2020, the new regulations call for “freedom of design for brands based on a 'Hypercar' concept.” Just which hypercars remains to be confirmed, but rumors have been circulating for some time that the Senna and Valkyrie could be among them. Both McLaren and Aston Martin have taken part in formulating the new rules, as have Ferrari and Ford (which currently field their 488 and GT supercars in the GTE class) and Toyota (the last manufacturer left in the hybrid LMP1 class). The current top class has been dying a slow death over the course of the past several years, with manufacturers like Porsche, Audi, Nissan, and Peugeot all shutting down their LMP1 programs.

Apparently the costs have just been too high, but series organizers are out to cut costs drastically to “one quarter of current LMP1 budgets,” according to the FIA. If Toyota remains committed to the format, as it's reiterated, it could develop something new like the GR Super Sport concept it showcased at the Tokyo Auto Salon earlier this year. It wouldn't be hard to imagine the Ford GT brought up to spec, either. And Ferrari could similarly upgrade its 488 GTE or base its entry on something more exotic like the FXX-K/LaFerrari. Nor would it be hard to imagine, at that rate, other manufacturers like Lamborghini, Porsche, and Mercedes getting in on the action, too.
https://carbuzz.com/news/new-ruleboo...ace-at-le-mans
TTM0TION and DLC like this.
post #15 of 38 Old 06-11-2018, 06:35 PM

That would be awesome.

-no McLaren...yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in