Le Mans 2018 - Page 3 - McLaren Life
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 38 Old 06-17-2018, 05:56 PM
isv
Owner

Glad that Toyota finally got the win, although it's a shame Porsche in particular wimped out of continuing to compete in LMP1.

Any thoughts on whether Toyota 'managed' that stint for the #8 car to be able to catch the #7?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 06-17-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
Glad that Toyota finally got the win, although it's a shame Porsche in particular wimped out of continuing to compete in LMP1.

Any thoughts on whether Toyota 'managed' that stint for the #8 car to be able to catch the #7?
Well 'managed' or not, a win is a win and a team #8 win is better than a team #7 win for everyone except perhaps the members of team #7s feelings.
post #33 of 38 Old 06-17-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
Next stop Indy!
Yeah! I see the headline now… Alonso wins Indy with Honda power.

Last edited by eMcL; 06-17-2018 at 07:15 PM.

post #34 of 38 Old 06-17-2018, 07:42 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
Yeah! I see the headline now… Alonso wins Indy with Honda power.
Or, "Alonso wins Indy with a McLaren".

The thing is, although all the teams use the same spec chassis and one of two engine suppliers, just three teams have dominated the last nineteen 500s almost to the same extent that three teams now dominate F1. It seems that, just as in F1, if you are going to win Indy you need to be in the right car.
post #35 of 38 Old 06-17-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
Or, "Alonso wins Indy with a McLaren".

The thing is, although all the teams use the same spec chassis and one of two engine suppliers, just three teams have dominated the last nineteen 500s almost to the same extent that three teams now dominate F1. It seems that, just as in F1, if you are going to win Indy you need to be in the right car.
Yes but again deep pockets help—The top 3 field many cars to increase the odds in their favor.
A single entry McLaren car is unlikely to win…..so having McLaren sponsorship on the side of an Andretti with Alonso driving maybe the best alternative.
post #36 of 38 Old 06-17-2018, 08:32 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Yes but again deep pockets help—The top 3 field many cars to increase the odds in their favor.
A single entry McLaren car is unlikely to win…..so having McLaren sponsorship on the side of an Andretti with Alonso driving maybe the best alternative.
Other advantages of a multi-car team are doubled or trebled the amount of set-up information and having teammates to help with drafting and traffic.

I too can't see McLaren fielding a single car. Perhaps as you say sponsor another team's car (not sure how much the Honda factor still applies ) for a year or two, with the goal of having their own multi-car team after that. But, if they haven't got enough eggs to fill a Formula One basket, it is not clear how they would fill an Indycar-sized one at the same time.
eMcL likes this.
post #37 of 38 Old 06-18-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner

Quote:

Congratulations Mikeyb…….Fantastic!

Road To Le Mans Race 2, Benham & Tappy Win For Lanan Racing

GT battle spoiled by early fumble

16 June 2018, 12:40 PM

Michael Benham and Duncan Tappy took a convincing win for Lanan Racing, their Norma M30 taking the race to John Falb and Sean Rayhall in United Autosports’ Ligier <acronym title="JavaScript"><acronym title="JavaScript">JS</acronym></acronym> P3 who put up a great fight but in the end didn’t quite have the speed.

Rain was threatened but never troubled an otherwise incident filled 55 minute race. The pole sitting #39 Graff car lost the Norma drag race at the start to Laurents Horr’s #30 CD Sport car, then being tapped from behind in the Dunlop chicane compression to rotate the car over the kerbs. The drama didn’t end there as another strong contender, yesterday’s winner the #11 Eurointernational car, became the innocent victim of the accident at the front of the GT3 field that would bring out an early safety car.

Mike Benham for Lanan Racing was caught slightly napping at the restart, falling back behind Horr with the TFT-SO24 and Ultimate Normas tucked in behind, Julien Piquet’s #60 CD Sport Norma losing ground from fourth. Jean-Baptiste Lahaye got past Benham for second a lap later.

The #79 Ecurie Ecosse / Nielsen Ligier was off with rear damage at second chicane as Colin Noble tried too hard to make up two positions under braking, making the move stick on the #24 Cool Racing car but misjudging the gap and going off at the entry just before the field started to think about pit stops. The #21 DB Autosport and 3 DKR Engineering Normas were among those that stayed out, an epic scrap between Schatz and Hoogenboom developing down the Mulsanne straight.

As the order resumed, Adrien Chila for Graff led Sean Rayhall for United Autosport, who made strong progress to take the French driver for the lead into the second chicane. Duncan Tappy was on a charge though in the #25 Lanan Norma M30, the McLaren factory driver disposing of Chila, who was carrying some frontal damage, and drawing in half a second from Rayhall.

Tappy stood onto the brakes into the slow zone at the start-finish line to be right on the back of the leading Ligier, but Rayhall controlled the gap all the way down the Mulsanne before Tappy made a move around the outside into Mulsanne Corner, then pulling a 2 seconds gap in traffic. Rayhall tried hard in the last two laps but Tappy had it all pegged down for the Lanan win.

Nicolas Schatz in DB Autosport Norma was 12 seconds back in third, Hoogenboom two and a half seconds away for fourth having had an off-track excursion at Tertre Rouge.

Both the #9 and #24 Cool Racing cars received late penalties for pit lane speeding that would adjust the order in the top ten.

“Yeah, thanks firstly to the team, I won’t try and name everyone in the team, because I’ll forget one,” an emotional Michael Benham said after the race. They’ve been rewarded for all the hard work, and I’m happy that we’ve been able to do that.”

“Back on the podium at Le Mans, that’s five times for me, I love it!” Falb said. “We wish we had the win here, Sean had a hell of the race, he just didn’t have the straight line speed to keep the #25 behind us. The guys behind the wall did a great job, they called me in as soon as possible to put our speeding bullet in the car.”

GT3

Early leaders and main contenders Marco Cioci and Sergio Pianezzola collided into the braking zone for the second chicane on the opening lap. This was a wild late braking move by Pianezzola that also claimed one of the main LMP3 contenders. The #71 AF Corse got car back to pits with frontal damage but both cars were out, Cioci predictably (and correctly) furious.

The position at the pit stops was the #54 Spirit of Race Ferrari leading the #69 Stile F Squadra entry, Spirit of Race’s #51 car third. The #51 Ferrari got the better stop though, Maurizio Mediani resuming after taking over the car from Christoph Ulrich, ahead of his team mate Louis Soenen. The #77 Kessel Racing car worked its way into second position, the #54 Ferrari now falling into the clutches of Gino Forgione in the #69 Stile F Quadra car, however a Stop/ Go penalty for Forgione effectively decided the 3rd place.

“I’m without words, winning at Le Mans, the most famous track. Even if it’s not the 24 hours, it’s fantastic. He’s done an amazing job,” said Ulrich.

“I was quite busy early with keeping my wheels on the tarmac, so I didn’t see the incident at the start. It was a big mess. Luckily we survived.”
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...an-racing.html
Thanks fella..

Yeah that was fun.. can kinda say we climbed the mountain... Le Mans is such a special place, to any petrol head, and it really has to be experienced to believe what it’s like to have 300k people in the same place all looking at the same thing.. a big part of them are kind enough to pay attention to the support race, so even we had some of the stands full...

Finally we got rid of our bad luck for the season, and obviously being p1 at Le Mans is very very special, maybe even more so than winning the championship...

Couple of photos for fun... more on my facebook race page... https://m.facebook.com/MikeBenhamRacing/
Attached Images

eMcL, f1_oov and Huahincraig like this.
post #38 of 38 Old 06-20-2018, 06:22 PM

thecheckeredflag
OPINION: WHY ALONSO’S LE MANS WIN WAS NO SHAM
WILLIAM BRIERTY JUNE 20, 2018

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...ckered+Flag%29

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in