Formula 1, 2018 - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 756Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 2408 Old 12-13-2017, 08:24 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
Yes it is interesting. However Boullier is of course giving the McLaren viewpoint on the oil tank issue. The Honda View seems to be that McLaren didn’t provide the increased g force stress loadings (affecting oil tank) that should have been anticipated with the new tires and aero, tracks etc. Also insufficient track testing cooperation. It seems like two separate companies that failed to form a team.
Anyway lessons have been learned and it is good that Boullier and the McLaren-Renault F1 team are enthusiastic about the Renault relationship and 2018 season prospects.

http://en.hondaracingf1.com/newsroom...velopment.html
One does feel sorry for Honda, who worked incredibly hard if not incredibly effectively. McLaren Racing are smart people, however, and if the root problem had been only that McLaren had failed to supply Honda with sufficient simulation data to estimate the g-loads, I have to think that McLaren would not have been so desperate to upgrade to the third-best PU at the cost of $100m/yr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 2408 Old 12-14-2017, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Formula1.com
Exclusive - Eric Boullier on McLaren’s bright new beginning
MCLAREN
13 Dec 2017
The 2017 season was another tough one for McLaren, as their revived Honda partnership again failed to deliver. As a result that partnership is no more and from 2018 the Woking team will be powered by Renault. Given how good the MCL32 chassis was this year, it’s a change that team principal Eric Boullier believes should put them very much back on a winning path…

Q: Eric, you said that it dawned on you even at the Barcelona tests in February that 2017 would be another disastrous year. Can you talk us through the discussions that set in at that very moment?

Eric Boullier: That’s easily told: I went to the management, showed them the data and told them that we cannot accept another year like this. We had a tough first year with Honda, we had a tough second year, and had expected progress good enough to get us back to where we belong – but Barcelona showed that we would go backwards and that was absolutely not an option. I obviously warned them about the consequences of another year of no results, where you keep everybody afloat. We have a new team, which has been reconstructed in the last three years: new people, very good new people – competitive people who used to win – and the danger was we’d lose them. The perception of a team is still very much based on drivers, because they are the faces of the team, but for me the real danger was losing those people. That was the discussion at the very beginning of the season.
When you look at what we have achieved in terms of car performance, we know that we are back on the podium

Q: With all the troubles this season – and the previous two – is there anything positive to take from 2017?
EB: Oh yes, a lot. When you look at what we have achieved in terms of car performance – chassis performance – we know that we are back on the podium, at the top. That for me is a huge reward – that we have achieved this in difficult circumstances. The other positive I take from the past three years is that the team is really joined now. We have been suffering so much for three years, but at the same time nobody has left the team. Everybody agreed that this team will be winning again. There is a huge trust and confidence in what we are trying to achieve and because of that we have gone up, up, up, keeping developing this car.

Q: So the car is a podium contender, but now you have to deal with a completely new power unit for 2018. Could that potentially set you back again?
EB: You have to adapt and adjust to the engine layout, but the architecture will remain the same. We have a clever concept, so it’s not going to be a big drama. Sometimes we are trying not to be stupid! (Laughs)

Q: You will have the same engine as Red Bull Racing in 2018 – so they should not have a massive advantage and you should not have a big handicap…
EB: Both no. Maybe we made the decision to change the engine manufacturer two weeks too late for our schedule – but these two weeks have almost been recovered.

Q: How difficult was it to let go of that dream of successfully reviving the famed McLaren-Honda partnership? What was meant to be a fairy tale wedding ended in divorce with seemingly irreconcilable differences…
EB: Any big decisions are always difficult to take. The concept of McLaren winning with Honda was a dream for everybody, yes – it was a beautiful story. Today we have huge respect for them and we definitely don’t divorce with fights and screams and finger pointing. We are all very professional – and in the end it was a business decision, which they understand. There is a sadness that it didn’t work out like we wanted. McLaren-Honda in terms of brands was a good fit – in terms of results it didn’t work. That’s what it is in the end. Now we have to see that we get back to competitiveness – back to the top!

Q: Despite the split, the aim was also to keep Honda in F1 – so they switched to Toro Rosso. What do you think these new partners can achieve?
EB: First of all, I wish them well. I want them to be successful – as long as they stay behind us! (Laughs) We have tried hard the last three years, but the maturity and the timing was wrong for us. That’s a fact. They will go on developing – and they can be successful in the future, of course. With a different timing. Formula 1 is changing so fast. Sometimes the speed of change in Formula 1 doesn’t fit corporate speed!

Q: Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner predicted that you would go through a honeymoon period at the start of your new cooperation with Renault. Has the honeymoon already started?
EB: Ha, I had one with Honda and I’ve learned from it. I have learned about the danger of honeymoons! (Laughs) But yes, at the start of any relationship you would be foolish to bounce the table before knowing your partner. We are now in a ‘get to know each other better’ phase. We are building relationships. And I will make sure that the honeymoon lasts longer than the last one!

Q: It is always said to be crucial for a team to have its new car ready at the first test. Will you?
EB: It is too early to say that now. You push the boundaries to the limit all the time and if you have that constant development in performance – in the wind tunnel, in CFD, whatever – you want to push the limit to the last minute before you start the manufacturing process. You simply want to wait as long as possible to make sure that you’ve derived each and every bit of information and data when you start manufacturing. And I can say: so far so good!

Q: British teenager Lando Norris, the reigning FIA F3 Euro champion, is your reserve driver for 2018 and will race in F2 next season. How much will he be involved in the F1 business? And will he one day be a fully-fledged McLaren driver?
EB: I hope that he will one day drive for McLaren – that’s why we took him on board! But first is F2 – a good sporting challenge for him. He will spend a lot of time in the simulator and he will have the opportunity to test. He was also pushing to get some FP1 outings, but I am not a fan of this. But he will still have a busy life!

Q: The good news for McLaren in 2018 is that it can’t really get any worse than 2017. But what realistic expectations do you have?
EB: I think it would be wrong to draft any expectations now. I am a fan of the motto ‘Over-deliver but under-promise’! So no promises. Let’s see where we will be.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/i...beginning.html
post #18 of 2408 Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 AM

Nothing too new from Eric. I mentioned some time back that losing engineers would be a real risk if they continued with Honda.

post #19 of 2408 Old 12-14-2017, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeSpirit View Post
Nothing too new from Eric. I mentioned some time back that losing engineers would be a real risk if they continued with Honda.
Yes. Finishing last, 3 years in a row, must have been demoralizing for the McLaren F1 team. It is great that McLaren management have been able to provide an environment that has encouraged and maintained the team spirit. Clearly now McLaren needs a 2018 podium finish to maintain the F1 talent.
Much rests on Renault being able to overcome their PU reliability and power deficits. Companies that are 15% government owned worry me a bit. On the plus side the F1 engineering interface between McLaren and Renault should be smoothed by the Boullier connections.

http://en.f1i.com/news/288268-renaul...liability.html

Last edited by eMcL; 12-14-2017 at 04:19 AM.
post #20 of 2408 Old 12-15-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

post #21 of 2408 Old 12-15-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

F1 cars set for two-second speed leap in 2018

By: Jonathan Noble, Formula 1 Editor

Formula 1 cars are predicted to be more than two seconds per lap faster next season, according to the latest simulation data that Pirelli has been given by the teams.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/c...n-2018-985697/
post #22 of 2408 Old 12-15-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

McLaren Formula 1 - Preparing for 2018

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/ins...-2018-3174957/
TTM0TION likes this.
post #23 of 2408 Old 12-16-2017, 02:29 AM
Owner

Harsh but fair 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24 of 2408 Old 12-16-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Hi Res Photos of Honda F1 PU from F1news.autoroad.cz

http://f1news.autoroad.cz/novinky/90...rie-1/detail/8
post #25 of 2408 Old 12-18-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

MOTORSPORT
Mercedes "close" to breaking 1000bhp barrier with F1 engine

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...engine-989330/
post #26 of 2408 Old 12-18-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Excerpts from ESPN F1
Laurence Edmondson F1 Editor

As a general rule, the more dependent cars are on aerodynamics, the more performance they lose while running in the turbulent air of a car in front and the more difficult it becomes to overtake. While the issue is nothing new in Formula One, the current research project has allowed Brawn's technical team to dig deeper than ever before with CFD tools that are more advanced than the teams'.

Now that the 2017 season has finished, F1's current teams have also agreed to provide their CFD data from 2017 so that the project can continue to develop a better understanding of why F1 cars struggle to follow each other.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...-aero-research
post #27 of 2408 Old 12-18-2017, 04:51 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
Excerpts from ESPN F1
Laurence Edmondson F1 Editor

As a general rule, the more dependent cars are on aerodynamics, the more performance they lose while running in the turbulent air of a car in front and the more difficult it becomes to overtake. While the issue is nothing new in Formula One, the current research project has allowed Brawn's technical team to dig deeper than ever before with CFD tools that are more advanced than the teams'.

Now that the 2017 season has finished, F1's current teams have also agreed to provide their CFD data from 2017 so that the project can continue to develop a better understanding of why F1 cars struggle to follow each other.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...-aero-research
About 8 or 9 years ago there was an "Overtaking Working Group" composed of some of the top engineers in F1. Their job was to try to figure out how to encourage more overtaking.

Paddy Lowe was McLaren's representative in the group. In an interview, he said that, until they thought it through and did some simulations, no one (including himself) in this group of the best and brightest engineers had realised why in the good old days there was so much more overtaking than there was in the modern, aero-focused era.

It seems that, on the older cars with their smooth, "slippery" noses that usually tapered upward from the floor forward, the noses would normally generate front lift. Then when a car got in the wake of a car ahead, the less dense air behind the leading car caused the front lift of the following car to diminish. It was the opposite effect to what we have now. In those days, it was faster, or easier on the car, to follow than to lead.
Mikeyb and eMcL like this.
post #28 of 2408 Old 12-18-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
About 8 or 9 years ago there was an "Overtaking Working Group" composed of some of the top engineers in F1. Their job was to try to figure out how to encourage more overtaking.
Yes-It is good to see the 'Group' resurrected. Reducing wake air turbulence effects on the following car is in my opinion a preferable method of obtaining close racing than the proposal of simpler more standardized PU’s. As you point out overtaking becomes easier and less dangerous. It is good that Brawn appears to have obtained F1 Teams support tor this.
post #29 of 2408 Old 12-18-2017, 06:22 PM
isv
Owner

Makes a hell of a lot more sense for any 'technical group' to be independently hired reporting to Brawn and not comprising of team representatives who will always have their own agenda (just look at when Brawn himself pointed out the flaw in double diffuser rules in 2008 and everyone else thought he was BS-ing as they were all so hung up about getting an advantage over each other) although how one then pays enough to attract good people unless they are retired and bored is tricky.
post #30 of 2408 Old 12-19-2017, 07:29 PM

But I'm going through and watching all of the old races as I sit on terrible conference calls and there simply was not more overtaking. What era are you guys going back to? I was watching the Senna Prost seasons the other day and they generally lapped the entire field but 3rd and 4th.

-no McLaren...yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in