Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-15-2017, 07:12 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...73259-86195883

Hell yeah.. p15 lmp1... now that i can get excited about,.,
As I understand it (and quite possibly I don't), the regs being mooted for LMP1 in 2020 will still be rather race car-specific. Do you really think that McLaren would race a P15 derivative in LMP1? I think it is more likely that, if the new regs are to their liking (that is, if they think they could build a winner), McLaren will build a new, proper racing car conforming to those regs and then offer a road-legal variant of that.
eMcL likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-15-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
As I understand it (and quite possibly I don't), the regs being mooted for LMP1 in 2020 will still be rather race car-specific. Do you really think that McLaren would race a P15 derivative in LMP1? I think it is more likely that, if the new regs are to their liking (that is, if they think they could build a winner), McLaren will build a new, proper racing car conforming to those regs and then offer a road-legal variant of that.
There’s lots of rumours flying around at the moment one of which is that the top category would more closely resemble road cars. It’s clear that nothing is yet clear. Sam Bird recently commented that people come with Porsche, Ferrari, ford, Aston flags not oreca/Dallara etc. So I think it has some merit. We’ll see. Would be cool if thats the route they take.
erich likes this.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-15-2017, 07:26 PM

And Alonso gets to drive it??
post #5 of 15 Old 11-15-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
There’s lots of rumours flying around at the moment one of which is that the top category would more closely resemble road cars. It’s clear that nothing is yet clear. Sam Bird recently commented that people come with Porsche, Ferrari, ford, Aston flags not oreca/Dallara etc. So I think it has some merit. We’ll see. Would be cool if thats the route they take.
Yes.
https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...road-car-looks
post #6 of 15 Old 11-16-2017, 12:01 AM
isv
Owner

Quote:
GTE already exists as silhouette racing as the race cars are hugely different from the cars they are supposedly homologated on (porsche rsr being a prime example). Making LMP1 do the same and restricting the aero rules to provide more silhouette racing but faster than GTE is imho senseless. Also taking cars like the Porsche GT1 street version or Merc CLK GTR as examples of road cars is a bit silly I think.....
post #7 of 15 Old 11-16-2017, 12:01 AM

P15 would work really well. Going against the Project One and Valkyrie. Already would be a great series.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-16-2017, 06:02 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

I don't know anything about this stuff really, but it's hard to imagine that on a race track the P15 could be competitive against either the Project One or the Valkyrie.
For the Valkyrie, the world's best aerodynamicist was given a blank sheet of paper and told to go for it. The P15 is not nearly as extreme.
For the Project One, although the aerodynamics are not as uninhibited as in the Valkyrie, they appear to be roughly of the same degree of road-car-compromise as the P15. However, the Project One's power unit is absolutely cutting-edge hybrid, while the P15's is a derivative of the same conventional turbo V8 that McLaren have been using for years. AMG engineers are convinced that the Project One will be able to beat Stefan Bellof's 6:11 'Ring time, which would be deeply impressive.
Although the P15 will be very fast, I think its starting point was too conventional to allow it to compete against the other two.
pe5787 and eMcL like this.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-16-2017, 08:12 AM

Also current LMP1 are streamlined single seaters with close to 1000HP PU’s. But I do think it would be great if McLaren develops an LMP1 car.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-16-2017, 10:46 AM
isv
Owner

The P15 will never work for LMP1 anyway imo. It's a car that's base design is 3 years before the regs are even set and has been probably designed to exploit GTE just like the Ford GT (and Mclaren have to hope for the ACO being as generous...). The winner of a new LMP1 class will almost certainly be a manufacturer who designs a new car expressly around exploiting those rules rather than one that tries to adapt an existing design to suit.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-16-2017, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner

i don't think anyone is suggesting that the p15 will be an lmp1 competitor within a short period of time.. thought it was just a convenient thread title..

the more interesting points IMV are..

1) that the LMP1 could be more road resembling when the rules are set in 2021... (another reason why any potential entry will not be a p15 derivative)

2) that mclaren are interested in it..

clearly, if its a racing class, unless its a 'run what you brung' a la can am, which isn't happening, whatever manufacturers enter, they will all be building to the technical regs, so comparisons of Valkyrie v merc thing v p15 are not really relevant?

3) even if there are distinct classes within a race, the focus is always on who wins the overall.. even if you win your class at le mans, itself an exceptional achievement, (even if you sandbag to get a good BoP, here's looking at you ford, i haven't forgotten) , you never 'Win Le mans' unless your driving a car in the top class... except perhaps on very rare occasions, which is of course why the mclaren win remains so famous..
erich and New Britain like this.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-16-2017, 03:15 PM

Road & Track -track version of Valkyrie
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...r-pro-preview/
post #13 of 15 Old 11-16-2017, 06:49 PM

P15 won't be a LMP1, they just want to make them look like road cars ala DPi.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-14-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner

post #15 of 15 Old 05-14-2018, 12:20 PM

Garage
Great news. A compelling idea that has a good chance of happening when starting with a blank set of rules. From a marketing perspective, a DPi type series wouldn't be as attractive to spectators as a hypercar based series, so starting from there with about 1000 hp then balancing them out with a manufacturing input in the rules would be the way to go and cheaper to participate using existing platforms and engines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in