My MP4-22/5A 'Track' Car - McLaren Life
 117Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner
 
Mikeyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 7,831
My MP4-22/5A 'Track' Car

Dreams do come true.

So am delighted to say that I have purchased MP4 -22/5A

Originally driven by Lewis Hamilton in his first season in F1, this particular chassis won twice with him at the wheel, in Hungary and Japan. He also drove it to 4 second places, most notably at Monaco, but also at Malaysia, Bahrain, and Spain and also two pole positions and two fastest laps. It also was the chassis that sadly went into the gravel in the pit lane at China, a pivotal moment in the season that year.

2007 will always be remembered as the only season (so far) that Alonso and Hamilton were in the same team, thankfully at Mclaren. Sadly it will also be remembered for the spygate controversy, indeed arguably the controversy started when Fernando blocked Lewis in the pit lane at Hungary during quali, when Lewis was driving this very chassis. Thankfully as noted above Lewis went on to win the race.

I am hugely grateful to the Boards of McLaren technology group and Mclaren Automotive for sanctioning this sale, as well as the heritage department at MSO for the advice that they gave during the purchase.

The car is currently being refurbished in the heritage bays at MTC so those of you visiting in the coming weeks and perhaps months will see it.

Hopefully the car will be ready to go by the end of the year, and all going well, I will be driving it at Pure Mclaren days next year, maybe the end of this year (although not at the same time as other road cars!)
Attached Images
 
Mikeyb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 08:41 AM
Owner
 
andy c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: yorkshire
Posts: 11,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
Dreams do come true.

So am delighted to say that I have purchased MP4 -22/5A

Originally driven by Lewis Hamilton in his first season in F1, this particular chassis won twice with him at the wheel, in Hungary and Japan. He also drove it to 4 second places, most notably at Monaco, but also at Malaysia, Bahrain, and Spain and also two pole positions and two fastest laps. It also was the chassis that sadly went into the gravel in the pit lane at China, a pivotal moment in the season that year.

2007 will always be remembered as the only season (so far) that Alonso and Hamilton were in the same team, thankfully at Mclaren. Sadly it will also be remembered for the spygate controversy, indeed arguably the controversy started when Fernando blocked Lewis in the pit lane at Hungary during quali, when Lewis was driving this very chassis. Thankfully as noted above Lewis went on to win the race.

I am hugely grateful to the Boards of McLaren technology group and Mclaren Automotive for sanctioning this sale, as well as the heritage department at MSO for the advice that they gave during the purchase.

The car is currently being refurbished in the heritage bays at MTC so those of you visiting in the coming weeks and perhaps months will see it.

Hopefully the car will be ready to go by the end of the year, and all going well, I will be driving it at Pure Mclaren days next year, maybe the end of this year (although not at the same time as other road cars!)
Looking forward to seeing and hearing it on track.....and I will promise to stay thin if you let me have a Photo of me sitting in it (hand tied up for risk of getting near the buttons ).....Special moment for all McLaren fans !!!
scottishxj220 and f1_oov like this.

The (675) "Beast"
andy c is offline  
post #3 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 08:44 AM
InnerCircle
Owner
 
Nudenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Essex UK
Posts: 443
Garage
Just amazing and very exciting news Mikey..... congratulations, am following this journey very closely!! 😎😳


Sent from my HeliPad using Tapatalk HD
andy c and Mikeyb like this.
Nudenut is offline  
 
post #4 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 08:45 AM
Owner
 
roundincircles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Herts UK
Posts: 4,919
Dreams do come true!

It will be very interesting to read your thoughts on how it drives. I'm sure it will be epic.

The colour scheme is better than the current cars, imop, and the history as LH first car makes it very special. It may sporn a thread " What's the appreciation on F1 cars".
andy c and Mikeyb like this.

roundincircles

Started with Scalextric

720S Azores

Smart 4/2 , BMW 5 Touring X, 18 BMW GS 1200.

12C Coupe , Spider and 650S Spider Now History but not forgotten.

Various 911's from 1991, TVR, Beetle 1600S, Morris Minor. Renault 4. Triang 3 Wheeler.
roundincircles is offline  
post #5 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 10:59 AM
isv
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,089
Bloody hell that is awesome mikey. Would love to see it, even if I'm short of a car to get to the Mclaren trackdays I'm sneaking in come what may!
Mikeyb likes this.
isv is online now  
post #6 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 12:21 PM
InnerCircle
Owner
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK & Texas
Posts: 2,440
Completely awesome
Mikeyb likes this.
Boxer is offline  
post #7 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 12:35 PM
InnerCircle
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA - East Coast
Posts: 2,431
My MP4-22/5A 'Track' Car

Fantastic news Miley!! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! I'm glad to see McLaren is finally letting some of these cars get used by enthusiasts instead of sitting around collecting dust! So very few McLaren race cars had ever been in private hands. I remember going to the Pure McLaren event in Austin last year and one owner turned up with an Emerson Fitipaldi McLaren race car and everyone absolutely LOVED IT! It was an incredible spectacle for those of us who got to see and hear it roar around the track!

Obviously I always expected they'd hold on to the most important cars in their history but every year there are two or three chassis that could be used by people like you and to get to be on track alongside them, or even watch them from the pits, is a huge honor for McLaren owners bringing their own street cars to these events. Ferrari has been doing this for years and it's been hugely successful. I'm glad to see McLaren Group shaking off some of their stuffiness of the past and allowing things like this to happen.

Enjoy it and stay safe!
Nudenut likes this.
MarkNC is offline  
post #8 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 12:45 PM
nh4
 
nh4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NH
Posts: 4,384
Garage
That is so cool! I need to work out getting to one of those Pure days next year, even if it's just as a spectator.

-Jamie.
andy c and Mikeyb like this.

I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion. ― Jack Kerouac
nh4 is offline  
post #9 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 12:48 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,485
What's it cost to run?
noone2 is online now  
post #10 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 01:13 PM
DLC
InnerCircle
Owner
 
DLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 982
My MP4-22/5A 'Track' Car

Are you kidding me! WOW.

Mikey: First, let me congratulate you on such an awesome purchase. It's fantastic that this car is in the hands of such a deserving enthusiast (Petrol Head). I couldn't be happier or more excited for you and the family and wish you many years of enjoyment. Please do keep us posted on what will definitely be an awesome experience.

Have fun and stay safe my friend.
DLC is offline  
post #11 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner
 
Mikeyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNC View Post
Fantastic news Miley!! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! I'm glad to see McLaren is finally letting some of these cars get used by enthusiasts instead of sitting around collecting dust! So very few McLaren race cars had ever been in private hands. I remember going to the Pure McLaren event in Austin last year and one owner turned up with an Emerson Fitipaldi McLaren race car and everyone absolutely LOVED IT! It was an incredible spectacle for those of us who got to see and hear it roar around the track!

Obviously I always expected they'd hold on to the most important cars in their history but every year there are two or three chassis that could be used by people like you and to get to be on track alongside them, or even watch them from the pits, is a huge honor for McLaren owners bringing their own street cars to these events. Ferrari has been doing this for years and it's been hugely successful. I'm glad to see McLaren Group shaking off some of their stuffiness of the past and allowing things like this to happen.

Enjoy it and stay safe!
Thanks your support and kind words fella as always. Can't wait to take a photo of you sat in it.. .maybe even your side of the pond.. ;-)

As you say, it's proper cool that we will be able to see these cars out and about in the wild. I think the plans that are afoot will mean everyone will be able to have a really close look at something we have only ever previously seen on the TV..
Mikeyb is offline  
post #12 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner
 
Mikeyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by nh4 View Post
That is so cool! I need to work out getting to one of those Pure days next year, even if it's just as a spectator.

-Jamie.
You do indeed. !
nh4 likes this.
Mikeyb is offline  
post #13 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner
 
Mikeyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC View Post
Are you kidding me! WOW.

Mikey: First, let me congratulate you on such an awesome purchase. It's fantastic that this car is in the hands of such a deserving enthusiast (Petrol Head). I couldn't be happier or more excited for you and the family and wish you many years of enjoyment. Please do keep us posted on what will definitely be an awesome experience.

Have fun and stay safe my friend.
Too kind DLC thanks... i hope to see you and it at the same time one day.. that would be really cool !
DLC likes this.
Mikeyb is offline  
post #14 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 04:47 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 366
There is (was?) an old McLaren F1 car based at our local track (Sonoma) that I've seen zipping past while I'm careening around in my street car. I don't know the specifics, its probably 1970ish. But I imagine with its Ford Cosworth engine and aluminum tub it's a whole lot easier to keep running than a modern MP4-22
scottch is online now  
post #15 of 84 Old 05-30-2017, 05:15 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: here and there
Posts: 117
I learned something today.
I always heard that Mclaren had never sold any Formula 1 car and kept them all.
Happy for you that that was not true.
Congratulations !
Terrry is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome