LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 84 Old 12-11-2018, 08:07 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
onboard

so this was the final session.. we did 20 min stints.. youtube limit is 15 mins so its in two parts..

part 1

https://youtu.be/l6ffKfpFcaQ

part 2

https://youtu.be/0A9j0-2kDL8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 84 Old 05-17-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner

So i had the old girl out again yesterday... this time at Jerez in southern Spain... Iíd never driven at Jerez previously so it was a challenge to learn the track as well as possible beforehand.. thankfully i did just about enough prep, to make sure i knew which way the track went, but nothing can actually beat driving on the track itself...

This time there was one other mclaren there, but equally there were 5 Williams, so when we werenít running there was some great machinery going round to look at... some of you may have seen Karun Chandhok tweeting about the event from the Williams side..

Was a great day, and am beginning to explore a little more of the performance of the car... mostly getting used to the braking of the car and whilst i made some progress there is still more to come.. slowing from 255 kmh to 80 in less than 80 metres is something that can not adequately be described, and i still have more pressure to find on the brake pedal to shorten the distances further...

We did slightly longer runs this time than my last time out, so tyre and brake temp was easier to find and maintain... the difference in the brake pedal with warm brakes was massive (feel and modulation, they feel very wooden when cold) and also traction when youíre sure the tyres are warm is just immense... (you will be able to hear the TC helping me on a couple of occasions.. )

As last time spending time with the technicians with their experience and stories of the people that they have worked with are just priceless. This time I had one gentleman who joined mclaren when Bruce was still there, and also the mercedes chap who ran the engine ran Lewisí car when he was at mclaren.. all a bit surreal...

By the end of the day not only was i a bit more confident with the brake pedal as described above, but also with the traction... pulling 5th gear at the end of the exit kerb of a second gear last corner is something that is impossible to comprehend.. the thrust and forward momentum is just enormous..

Have a couple of ideas brewing for when the car will run next.. will let you know when itís all a bit firmer..

DLC, ZombiePhysicist, eMcL and 1 others like this.
post #78 of 84 Old 05-17-2019, 04:47 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
You show great restraint @Mikeyb as I'm sure I would wreck within 2 turns. How does it feel when the ass comes out a bit. Does the TC come on early to assist, or is basically all up to you? Is TC adjustable on it?

post #79 of 84 Old 05-17-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
You show great restraint @Mikeyb as I'm sure I would wreck within 2 turns. How does it feel when the ass comes out a bit. Does the TC come on early to assist, or is basically all up to you? Is TC adjustable on it?
Ha.. the point is it doesnt move.. ! Cos i am still not driving close to its limits.. i actually didnít think the TC was firing, but on the onboard you can hear it, particularly on one occasion out of the last corner before the start finish straight..

It is adjustable yes... we dont have it on high, but it is there to help me (or stop me, depending on your point of view.. !)

But like any good car, race car or otherwise, itís a very easy thing to correct, just a small turn of the wheel, and you gather it all up and move on... you can see one small occasion out of i think the hairpin at the end of the back straight where the rear moves very slightly but i honestly barely even felt it...

Are you proud of me for working out how to imbed it all ;
ZombiePhysicist likes this.
post #80 of 84 Old 05-17-2019, 05:49 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyb View Post
Ha.. the point is it doesnt move.. ! Cos i am still not driving close to its limits.. i actually didnít think the TC was firing, but on the onboard you can hear it, particularly on one occasion out of the last corner before the start finish straight..

It is adjustable yes... we dont have it on high, but it is there to help me (or stop me, depending on your point of view.. !)

But like any good car, race car or otherwise, itís a very easy thing to correct, just a small turn of the wheel, and you gather it all up and move on... you can see one small occasion out of i think the hairpin at the end of the back straight where the rear moves very slightly but i honestly barely even felt it...

Are you proud of me for working out how to imbed it all ;
Yea it looked tidy (your turn exit). What's sad is I used to be quite comfortable doing this all myself, but TC has made it so easy now that I worry how I would do on a fully manual car (with lots of power) again. I also can no longer tell, on small blips, if it's me doing the saving or is it the TC. On bigger ass out adventures you KNOW its TC doing its thing, but on the small ones, I *like* to believe it's me.

I guess in the F1 you can totally hear/feel the brakes doing their thing more blatantly?

And kudos on your embed prowess!
post #81 of 84 Old 05-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Owner

So awesome, Mikey! What an amazing thing. Couldn't be happier for somebody I've never even met in real life!
Mikeyb likes this.
post #82 of 84 Old 05-19-2019, 03:05 PM

That really is so cool, thanks for sharing!
Mikeyb likes this.

-no McLaren...yet
post #83 of 84 Old 05-19-2019, 04:52 PM

Great video! driving fast — now you know how good Alonso felt when winning — what a dream; thanks for sharing
Mikeyb likes this.

Last edited by eMcL; 05-19-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #84 of 84 Old 05-19-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
Great video! driving fast — now you know how good Alonso felt when winning — what a dream; thanks for sharing
Thanks emcl. A great deal of the fun is sharing.. its a very unique experience and would be selfish to keep to one’s self. !

Last edited by Mikeyb; 05-19-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in