McLaren Indy 500 - McLaren Life
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-28-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

McLaren Indy 500

And we are off!!! Gorgeous day at Indy. ALO looking smooth and steady so far.

-no McLaren...yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-28-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Drove himself up to 4th before pit stops. Looking nice and smooth thus far! It's been rather exciting so far!

-no McLaren...yet
post #3 of 17 Old 05-28-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Leading!!!!!!
RonMathMD likes this.

-no McLaren...yet

post #4 of 17 Old 05-28-2017, 07:34 PM

Poor Alonso!
post #5 of 17 Old 05-28-2017, 08:12 PM

Honda should quit racing at this point, it is a joke. And alonso's wasn't the first to burst.
Anyway, first time i watched an oval race. Cool show, but racing wise it is very boring, or should i say primal, as the crashes and straight speed are the entertaining points .
Alonso has nothing to prove in such series, he has barely shown his talent. It is more a lottery than a car race. Too many yellow flags, up to lap 160 it is only about laping steadily and strategy, there is no braking, no racing line other than being dragged, no gear change. Do they have a full steering rack or just a 10deg left wheel turn angle??
Kamran and ZombiePhysicist like this.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-28-2017, 08:55 PM
DLC
InnerCircle
Owner

Alonso is just a pure racer. He would do well in any car or series you were to put him in. I was clearly entertained by this effort and his professionalism throughout the whole month leading to this race. A fan for life. Well done Alonso.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-28-2017, 09:14 PM

Alonso is one a the best drivers of the decade.
He is fast, tenacious, extremely regular and probably the fittest driver today.
It would have been great to see him win, but even though they all have almost the same car in indycar, it doesn't value the pure racing skills. Too many outside factors. It feels more like an entertaining show than a race.

3 mclarens running this WE, 3 DNFs. Alonso probably hates honda now, would be interesting to hear zak brown's comment...
post #8 of 17 Old 05-28-2017, 11:03 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouch View Post
Honda should quit racing at this point, it is a joke. And alonso's wasn't the first to burst.
Anyway, first time i watched an oval race. Cool show, but racing wise it is very boring, or should i say primal, as the crashes and straight speed are the entertaining points .
Alonso has nothing to prove in such series, he has barely shown his talent. It is more a lottery than a car race. Too many yellow flags, up to lap 160 it is only about laping steadily and strategy, there is no braking, no racing line other than being dragged, no gear change. Do they have a full steering rack or just a 10deg left wheel turn angle??
Are you referring to the same Honda that supplied the engines in the winning car and four out of the top five finishers?
andy c, DLC and Declan like this.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-28-2017, 11:03 PM
Owner

Same here dlc, fan for life after this effort. What a race, sucks for ALO obviously but at least a Honda engine won the race...

Dixon cheated the grim reaper today, wow.

I have a feeling ALO is writing this race into all future contracts. He really could have won. He had the fastest avg speed of any driver in the race before his DNF.

Stoked for Sato, that was the best post race.

To be honest, would rather watch this every weekend than the undercut overcut bullish!t Fo1 fake racing.
DLC and markj like this.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-28-2017, 11:12 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th element View Post
Same here dlc, fan for life after this effort. What a race, sucks for ALO obviously but at least a Honda engine won the race...

Dixon cheated the grim reaper today, wow.

I have a feeling ALO is writing this race into all future contracts. He really could have won. He had the fastest avg speed of any driver in the race before his DNF.

Stoked for Sato, that was the best post race.

To be honest, would rather watch this every weekend than the undercut overcut bullish!t Fo1 fake racing.
In a post race interview, didn't Alonso reply to a question by saying, "If I come back next year..."?
I suspect that if a year from now Alonso is in contention for the WDC, and Monaco and the 500 again coincide, he will postpone his return trip to Indy for at least a year.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-28-2017, 11:47 PM
isv
Owner

Alonso is definitely an easier driver to like these days and fair play to him for trying this and doing so well. Can't still bring myself to agree with DLC and 6thE as a fan for life, he's got way to much history in his 'teflonso' (as martin Brundle quipped before) years with Briatore for me. No doubting the guy is an awesome driver, imo still the best in F1 today.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-28-2017, 11:50 PM
Owner

My son & I enjoyed the race, and enjoyed watching Alonso lead many laps -- he was really pacing with an almost 2 second lead at one point, before a crash. We had great seats, great race.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-29-2017, 12:04 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
Alonso is definitely an easier driver to like these days and fair play to him for trying this and doing so well. Can't still bring myself to agree with DLC and 6thE as a fan for life, he's got way to much history in his 'teflonso' (as martin Brundle quipped before) years with Briatore for me. No doubting the guy is an awesome driver, imo still the best in F1 today.
That is true, of course. I guess a large portion of my respect comes from admiring the courage to race an oval at 230mph. Particularly as he is already a 2 time WDC. I remember reading once that Shumie wouldn't do it as he thought it too dangerous.

Bourdais' smash in quantifying was also frightening, if you missed it last week. Yes Fo1 is dangerous, but this is another level, imo.
DLC and markj like this.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-29-2017, 02:13 AM
Owner

p.s. Bourdais crash 118Gs on impact. Broken pelvis, hip and 2 ribs.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-29-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
Are you referring to the same Honda that supplied the engines in the winning car and four out of the top five finishers?
Alonso went to indy500 to escape the tragedy he 's living in F1 with honda. And what happens, his engine blows. Just like 1 or 2 others in the race. Even constant revving engines are not flawless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in