McLaren M6GT at McLaren Newport Beach! - McLaren Life
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By New Britain

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-03-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

McLaren M6GT at McLaren Newport Beach!

Evening McLarenLife.com,

Yesterday we received a very special guest… 1 of 4 McLaren M6GT's ever built. In case you're not familiar with the M6GT, the McLaren M6GT is a race car that never was due to FIA homologation changes during its time. With very few examples existing even from its inception, the McLaren M6GT was Bruce McLaren's project to compete in Group 4 GT racing where rivals Ferrari, Porsche, and Alfa Romeo dominated.

We have an entire blog post giving a thorough overview of the M6GT's history and of course, many photos that go over the entire M6GT.

This particular example is in pristine condition and has withstood the test of time. We are currently speaking with the folks at McLaren that have confirmed this is in fact an authentic M6GT and are working to get as much information as we can. We documented the arrival and placement of the M6GT in our showroom with both photos and even video! Yes, this M6GT runs and moves on its own power.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 PM
MPB

Fantastic. These things are beautiful. We don't get to see these cars nearly enough.
Thanks for posting, Newport Beach!
post #3 of 12 Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 AM
Owner

Stunning!! Isn't that the car from Hardcastle and McCormck?

12C- Spider, Maserati GT - Convert., NSX, Spec Miata

post #4 of 12 Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 AM
McLaren Fanatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh View Post
Stunning!! Isn't that the car from Hardcastle and McCormck?
The "Coyote" in that show was a kit car inspired by McLaren called the Manta Montage.

>8^)
ER
post #5 of 12 Old 01-18-2015, 06:02 PM

Hello,
New to the forum, I am about to buy a beautiful black M6B in Germany for racing in Europe. What is the history of that particular M6B GTcar ? How come so few coupe 's were made compared to spiders ? Where can I find the complete list of chassis that raced both in CanAm and also in European Interseries ? Are there any " replicas" and/or several cars with same chassis number like with the Lolas T70 ? This prevented me from buying T70 MkIIIB VIN 136 ( that never existed at the factory ... ) Thank you !
post #6 of 12 Old 01-27-2015, 09:27 PM
InnerCircle

This is an M6GT as far as I knew there were only two road versions, Bruce's own red one with the pull up headlights and
This one appears to be a race only version if it's genuine.

The M6B was a copy of the M6A made and sold by Trojan without an engine - a completely different beast altogether.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-27-2015, 09:52 PM
InnerCircle

I'm sure McLaren Newport Beach know their stuff and have full provenance for this car but it doesn't look right to me.
I don't know how many prototypes McLaren/Trojan made and, I believe, they were all different - but to me, this looks wrong.
The mirrors, the wiper and the colour just don't seem right.
But I'm sure it is me that is mistaken and they know what they are talking about.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-02-2015, 06:38 AM

Thank you Neil. There is another M6GT claiming to have been the property of the British driver David Prophet . You can find a pic of this car on the "McLaren M6/M12 GT " facebook page. ! Have a nice week . I would gladly put the pic on the Forum, but don't know how to do it !
post #9 of 12 Old 02-02-2015, 06:17 PM
InnerCircle

Just had a look - that is the one I tried to post a pic of - but I too am having trouble posting.

That one is definitely genuine, I've seen it at Goodwood a couple of times
http://cars.mclaren.com/featured-art...-m12gt-at.html
post #10 of 12 Old 07-20-2018, 04:56 AM

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...-by-a-chevy-v8

Want to see it in person? If so, then stop by Newport McLaren Beach.

techblog.com
Before the McLaren F1, There was the Mclaren M6GT Coupe, Powered by a Chevy V8
McLaren M6GT Coupe
07/19/2018

Before the McLaren F1, there was the McLaren M6GT project, which was started when Bruce McLaren decided to enter Le Mans endurance racing in the late 1960s. The plan was to take an M6 Can-Am car and develop a coupe body that would be competitive in long distance racing. Only three were ever made, and this particular model was fully restored in 1996, complete with a 5.0-litre Chevrolet V8 engine. Want to see it in person? If so, then stop by McLaren Newport Beach. Continue reading for more pictures, another video and additional information.

Having always harbored an ambition to build his own road car, Bruce McLaren wanted to turn the project into the ultimate road car. He wanted to build the fastest and quickest accelerating car in the world, using expertise developed on the racetrack to create the definitive road-going sports car. In early 1970, McLaren began work on the GT to use it on the road to find out what problems the design would have to overcome.

post #11 of 12 Old 07-20-2018, 06:14 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...-by-a-chevy-v8

Want to see it in person? If so, then stop by Newport McLaren Beach.

techblog.com
Before the McLaren F1, There was the Mclaren M6GT Coupe, Powered by a Chevy V8
McLaren M6GT Coupe
07/19/2018

Before the McLaren F1, there was the McLaren M6GT project, which was started when Bruce McLaren decided to enter Le Mans endurance racing in the late 1960s. The plan was to take an M6 Can-Am car and develop a coupe body that would be competitive in long distance racing. Only three were ever made, and this particular model was fully restored in 1996, complete with a 5.0-litre Chevrolet V8 engine.
According to Eoin Young (who was close to Bruce and the team) writing in 1970, four M6GTs were built: the one bought by David Prophet, Bruce's road car, one sold to a customer in the States, and a fourth assembled by Trojan.

About two years ago I was shown a "bitsa" car that someone was trying to have McLaren certify, but I don't know - that could have been the Trojan car, or perhaps it was one of those flatworm cars, where they start with one valuable chassis, cut it into parts, and miraculously end up with two valuable chassis.
eMcL likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-23-2018, 01:28 AM
Owner

That car is sooo hard to climb in to, only thing more difficult is crawling out ! But still insanely cool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in