First McLaren, 720S! The best and worst parts. - McLaren Life
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 05-01-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

First McLaren, 720S! The best and worst parts.

Hello everyone! This is my first post here and am excited for the future ahead being in this community.

I took delivery of my 2019 720S last week. I absolutely LOVE the 720S, but there has been a few issues and I'd like to share them. First off, I want to make it clear how much love I have for the 720. It's dumb fast, beautiful, and the coolest daily driver I could have ever chosen. Now, for the ugly part... My issue is with my dealer, the worst dealership in business, McLaren Chicago. My car was sold as a new car, 39 miles on it. The options list said it had a MSO Carbon Active Spoiler, which it does not. I asked for an updated window sticker before signing all the papers, and upon delivery.. no wing. I live in Florida. I have never laid eyes on this particular car, but it was priced well and was a nice spec on paper. I figured I'd be able to work this out with the dealer easily. You know... swap the wheels maybe add some kind of credit or give me a wing... or just a credit. None of these are happening. I also told the GM that I would love to get a spider and the LT version of the 720 when it comes out, before all of these shenanigans took place. The GM there has completely went ghost and said I can either give the car back or deal with it... Now if that isn't terrible service, I don't know what is. Especially when I expressed my interest in taking cars from them in the future. That is how I was treated as a first time client, and potentially a future client for many years to come. Beware of McLaren Chicago, and expect nothing more than terrible service. Thank god they are not my in-state dealer.

Besides that, I love the car. The car is absolutely amazing. Incredibly fast, beautiful from all angles, and definitely in a league above it's price point.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 12:24 AM
Spec 570 Spider soon

I really hate hearing this, as I have no dealership in my hometown and have been in contact with this dealership as my go-to. It's a totally different situation than the last time McLaren Chicago's name came up in a non-flattering light, and it seems this time around there are exactly zero non-Mac variables to cloud the issue. I'd love to hear more, especially from GM Josh King.

Good luck resolving things, aafx

An adage from the misspent youth of my skydiving days: "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast..."
post #3 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 01:41 AM
Owner

What are you asking chicago to do?

Was the price not negotiated taking into consideration carbon Wing option deducted from MSRP since it wasnt on the car?

Why sign paperwork if everything wasnt to your liking?

Any idea on why it was listed on window sticker but not on the car?

post #4 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 01:45 AM

I run a car dealership and I find this hard to believe, from time to time we get a car showing something on the window sticker and its missing from the car. In this scenario obviously we give it to the customer because they paid for it. Where exactly did you see this option listed? On a build sheet showing the vin number? On the window sticker? I know its east to be anti dealer and get everyone to jump on the band wagon but I would love to see a little bit more context here. IF you have the actual window sticker and the car has a missing option, you should be able to resolve this with the dealership or corporate in about 10 minutes. Now to be clear if it was a typo in the options on say the website, in that scenario you were not charged for it so the approach could be different
post #5 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

It was posted on the window sticker as advertised on the listing and when I asked for an updated sticker before the paperwork I was sent ANOTHER window sticker with the option listed. It was clearly listed.
post #6 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

I paid what the dealer was asking. Either way, they sent me an updated window prior to me signing with the option listed. If the option isn't on the car, simply remove it from the sheet. The fact that the dealer is choosing to handle this matter in the way they are handling it is the problem, not so much the wing. I do not appreciate being jerked around by a dealership especially on my first car from them and when I express my interest in cars from them in the future. It is just bad business. No one should be treated like that. If someone sends you a list and says this is what you are paying for, and something from that list is missing, thats a problem. I am a very reasonable person and was willing to settle for just a wheel swap, cheaper than the wing, but instead I get a 'take it or leave it' ultimatum. Im a young guy, in my 20s... you would think the dealer would recognize the fact that I am the type of customer who will stick around and buy supercars for another 20+ years... but nope. They chose to burn the bridge as it was laid. That is bad business, and pure disrespect.
post #7 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Josh has been a nightmare to deal with. Everything was all good until this happened. Once Josh was notified of this he said we would find a solution, then went off the grid and came back with a way different tone. Disrespectful and Challenging. I expected way more from a GM of a high end supercar brand. Its just unfortunate. I truly love McLaren and will continue to buy their cars, but never from Chicago. I will not be pushed around by a dealership. This is about principle at this point and if you are interested in taking a car soon I'd recommend McLaren Philly. A couple of my buddies grabbed cars from them and have had excellent experiences. Philly will be getting my business moving forward, even though they are many states away. It's all about how you treat people in this game, Im about relationships, and unfortunately I wasn't able to have a good one with my dealer of my first true exotic. I hope this makes everyone aware of the ethics at McLaren Chicago. I will happily post my window sticker as advertised and the "updated" one I was sent prior to sealing the deal.
post #8 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 07:29 AM
Recent Convert
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvandentop View Post
What are you asking chicago to do?

Was the price not negotiated taking into consideration carbon Wing option deducted from MSRP since it wasnt on the car?

Why sign paperwork if everything wasnt to your liking?

Any idea on why it was listed on window sticker but not on the car?
This ^
They made a mistake on the listing, it happens
You accept its a great price though

Don't let it spoil your ownership experience
Move on and enjoy

If you feel strongly enough about it use another dealer

VR 650S Spider gone but not forgotten after 19k miles
Bloody great bit of kit!
Looking forward to many miles in the 675LTS
post #9 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 10:10 AM

I don’t think the OP is saying he got a great deal because of the incorrect window sticker and missing option. He said he paid asking price.

It’s one thing for a dealer to say “We are selling this at a great price because there is a mistake” upfront. It’s another thing to advertise the car at a great price but not disclose the mistake.

Sounds like the OP discovered the mistake on his own irregardless of the price.
post #10 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 11:52 AM
Owner

Did he not see pictures of the car before sending money over should have been easy to spot?
post #11 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 02:52 PM
Owner

I didnt buy a car from McLaren Chicago, but I did express serious interest in one of my cars during my search for a 720. I did find them to be more fussy than Houston, Dallas, Rancho Mirage, Charlotte or Beverly Hills. They were tne ONLY dealer that had issues that my trade-in had Fabspeed Catted Downpipes and exhaust. The other dealers just asked me if I had the OEM parts (which I did) and made me a trade offer with the assumption their service dept would reinstall the OEM parts. Chicago made a big deal about something other dealerships were willing to accommodate and lost my business. I experienced a sense of the same attitude and stopped my discussions with them after a handful of telephone conversations. I wholeheartedly believe the OP based on my personal experience.

Last edited by SmokinV10; 05-02-2019 at 02:55 PM.
post #12 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 03:17 PM

If the window sticker listed the carbon wing I would think you could call corporate and have the wing shipped and installed at a McLaren Dealer close to you. Ultimately if it was on the sticker and the invoice than the dealer paid for that option when they received the car. Strange situation.

Did you know that the carbon wing was not on the car? If so, did you address the missing piece prior to signing the paperwork? It sounds like you knew the wing wasn’t on the car and requested an updated window sticker.
post #13 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 06:36 PM
Owner

I wonder if this is a case of the carbon fiber parts not being available and shipped to the dealer at a later time like we have heard of before? Seems like a very weird scenario regardless
post #14 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Corporate said the wing is months out, and I told them thats fine I can wait or settle for wheels or something else. I am a very reasonable person. The point is they sold me something on paper that is missing on the car, and do not wish to make it right. I will not be disrespected by a dealer no matter what I paid for the car. This has been my worst experience with any brand of dealer, and its a shame its on a $350k+ car. McLaren Chicago is a poor representation of the McLaren brand. Period. Corporate has told me that this is a dealer issue, so they aren't really getting too involved since Chicago told them they did send me a sticker without the wing, but they only told them this, they didn't show them any proof. All of the stickers/build sheets ive seen with my VIN have an MSO Carbon Fiber Active Rear Spoiler, and it is not on the car. To top it off, the exhaust tip is sideways, loose, and has burned my bumper. I notified McLaren Chicago in particular their GM, and as expected... no response from the guy who calls the shots over there. I truly wish everyone takes this as a sign of caution when considering this dealer. I would have happily paid a little bit more from another dealer for a pleasurable experience and mutual respect, something that should be a given when dealing with cars of this caliber, however that invaluable thing is CLEARLY missing from McLaren Chicago's agenda. I am a young guy, in my early 20s, you would think you would respect someone who not only is taking a car from you, but has expressed interest in future models, and will potentially be a lifelong customer. It's quite obvious some people fail to see the bigger picture. I would love to speak with the owner of this franchise.
post #15 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Here's the window.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in