First McLaren, 720S! The best and worst parts. - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGTR View Post
If the window sticker listed the carbon wing I would think you could call corporate and have the wing shipped and installed at a McLaren Dealer close to you. Ultimately if it was on the sticker and the invoice than the dealer paid for that option when they received the car. Strange situation.

Did you know that the carbon wing was not on the car? If so, did you address the missing piece prior to signing the paperwork? It sounds like you knew the wing wasnít on the car and requested an updated window sticker.
Curious if you can answer my questions above? If you knew the car didnít have the wing and requested an ďupdatedĒ sticker only to see the wing listed again. Why didnít you address it then prior to signing paperwork? If you knew it didnít have it you definitely should have addressed it at that time. Not after the sale had been consummated. I am not taking the dealers side here just trying to get a clear picture of the situation. It appears you knew the car didnít have the wing (since you requested an updated sticker) and purchased the car anyways. Then came back to the dealer looking for compensation for a piece you knew wasnít on the car.

Ultimately the dealer should have had the factory send them an accurate window sticker. They could have sold you the car with the written understanding that the sale price does not include the carbon wing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 10:06 PM

You say it is $350K. How much did you pay for the car? it's discounted? Why did you ask for an updated window sticker? Why did you think that an updated one would be different from the original one?

They said that you can return the car if you are not satisfied but you are choosing not to do so? (That's the ultimate falling on the sword by a dealer). Cars do come without certain parts sometimes due to shortages. (wheels, wing, carbon fiber bits). People take delivery of the cars that they usually ordered and get the part put on when it comes in. They usually have paid full sticker, meaning they have actually paid for that option.
post #18 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

My only thought was that it had been painted to match the body color. I never considered it not being on the car. I talked to my buddy who owns a resell dealer where I am prior to taking it and he said it could just be painted, ask for an updated window. So that’s what I did. When I got the car and tapped the wing, I instantly knew it wasn’t carbon. My initial thought was “why would anyone paint a carbon wing” but then again you never know. People have different preferences and I was assuming it was either painted, or that it was going to come detached. I honestly have never dealt with anything like this, so I didn’t know what to expect so I asked for an updated window to protect myself. Either way I was not informed that it didn’t come with the wing, and that’s wrong. I don’t know what part of that is hard to understand. I don’t want to give the car back. I want to get what I signed papers for. I don’t want to be strong armed by a dealership. If you were in this situation, how would you feel?

post #19 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

I even said just switch the wheels, let’s work this out... most dealers will swap wheels for free. Lol. Instead I get to deal with a guy who calls himself a GM but has no rationality or any kind of willingness to compromise on a solution. That is bad customer service.
post #20 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

I previously had a DB11, my dealer swapped wheels, painted brakes, and wrapped my car. For free. That is EXCELLENT customer service. This dealer won’t even pick up a phone call let alone offer anything to help a customer when they are having a problem.
post #21 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aafx View Post
My only thought was that it had been painted to match the body color. I never considered it not being on the car. I talked to my buddy who owns a resell dealer where I am prior to taking it and he said it could just be painted, ask for an updated window. So thatís what I did. When I got the car and tapped the wing, I instantly knew it wasnít carbon. My initial thought was ďwhy would anyone paint a carbon wingĒ but then again you never know. People have different preferences and I was assuming it was either painted, or that it was going to come detached. I honestly have never dealt with anything like this, so I didnít know what to expect so I asked for an updated window to protect myself. Either way I was not informed that it didnít come with the wing, and thatís wrong. I donít know what part of that is hard to understand. I donít want to give the car back. I want to get what I signed papers for. I donít want to be strong armed by a dealership. If you were in this situation, how would you feel?
I'd be happy with the deal that I got, if I paid less then MSRP. If I wasn't happy then I'd ask to return the car (which they offered) and buy another one from them or someone else. I'm assuming you don't want to do that because....?
post #22 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

And to top it off even after this missing option, burnt bumper, and service issue, the dealer told me give it back or we’ll report it stolen. I told them to go ahead and report it stolen. I have a purchase agreement. Signed by the dealer... Lol. I got pulled over last night, and guess what, the car isn’t reported stolen! So im dealing with a dealer who: doesn’t sell what they advertise on paper and sign off on, disrespects clients, and threatens them so they just bow down. I will not bow down. I am a customer, they are just avoiding the mistake they made that they could have easily fixed.
post #23 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aafx View Post
I even said just switch the wheels, letís work this out... most dealers will swap wheels for free. Lol. Instead I get to deal with a guy who calls himself a GM but has no rationality or any kind of willingness to compromise on a solution. That is bad customer service.
You're still not answering how much you paid less than MSRP. I'd be on your side if you did pay MSRP. If you paid $40K less then no one is going to be felling sorry for you or your supposed "plight".

The sinister part of me thinks that you bought a car at a heavy discount to flip to a third party reseller and they won't accept the car from you because it doesn't match the window sticker and that's why it's so important for you to get the updated one?
post #24 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

There is no room to even make money on the 720 with this market. Everyone is aware of their unstable values. The fact you would consider that I bought to resell for a profit is comical. I am upset because the dealer has no ethics. If you fail to see that then that’s on you. I don’t want anyone to feel sorry for me. I love the 720S, and I love my car. I strongly dislike my dealer. I made this post not for sympathy, but to make people aware of what kind of business is being ran at McLaren Chicago. If you want to deal with them, be my guest! I daily drive this car, trust me there is no way anyone will make money on this if they were going to flip it lol. I buy to drive, i don’t drive to profit.
post #25 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

I also don’t see why what I paid is any of your business either, that does not change the issue at hand that the dealer made a mistake and instead of correcting it they run from it. That is weakness not only from a business but from a judge of character. I’m not the type of person to run from my problems...
post #26 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Just to make things 100% clear: I will still buy McLaren’s in the future, just never from Chicago. I love the brand, and I love the car. I just hate the process im going through. Thats it. This is a very simple process that most people can easily see a solution too. If you buy something no matter the discount or not, you should get it.
post #27 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 11:38 PM

Yeah but you are making yourself look bad and McLaren Chicago look reasonable. They offered to take the car back. And corporate has told you that a MSO carbon wing will be shipped as soon as they are available. These things happen in life especially when dealing with high end cars Ö.
post #28 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Wrong. They did not say it would be shipped. They never said they would give me one. They just told me they are backordered.
post #29 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

They arent willing to give me the wing period regardless of it being available in the future or not lol thats the problem
post #30 of 41 Old 05-02-2019, 11:47 PM
Owner

Seems like shouldnt have purchased without wing being installed if you can't get past the part that it will show up once it is available. Or had them deduct the price off from msrp and negotiated from there. That is all there really is to satisfy this situation it seems.

If you went in knowing wing on back order chicago can only do so much. They cant make corp produce em faster then they can make em.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in