McLaren Car Club Info - Page 5 - McLaren Life
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 66 Old 08-08-2018, 06:23 AM

As a newbie, I have not read many pages of this "club" topic, so forgive me if I'm not well informed of the intentions or goals. I'm definitely more of a driver than a C&C guy (but do both).
If the goal is to get drivers together, and there is a lack of participation for whatever reason (and McLaren doesn't seem to care), would it be unreasonable to consider opening it up to other specific cars? I've done some specific brand runs in the past (all driving the same model). Recently even got together with 5 CGT's, which wasn't easy to get some to put miles on their cars. However, the best runs I've done have been a wide variety of cars where I can experience and appreciate other vehicles that don't look and sound identical to mine. In fact, it was one of those runs with a McLaren, Ferrari, a couple of Porsche's, and my Ford GT, that I swapped cars with the Mclaren owner and drove a 12C for the first time. I never considered a Mclaren, and due to this drive, I immediately knew I had to have one. And now I do.

I'm not interested in talking car wax brands, cringing at someone bouncing of the rev limiter in a parking lot, or emptying my pocket of unwanted business cards at the next gas station. I just want to drive through some twisties for a couple of hours with others who want the same. OC, Angela's Crest, or Malibu... I'm mobile.

2014 12C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 09-07-2018, 04:51 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Getting McLaren owners out for drives I think is difficult considering most of us are pretty busy (typically owning such a car places you in the busier category). However, how about centering the club around track events? Seems that McLaren owners, more than any other supercar, are willing to track their cars, and that's something people would put their time in for I think. I have been thinking for a while about starting a highly exclusive track day company (through my company - even though we're a tech cybersecurity company!), but maybe doing it though the McLaren owners club would be cool. We can invite other high end Marques to fill numbers if we need to, but of course focus it around McLaren.

As a premium style thing we'd maybe include track prep, catered lunch, classroom training, maybe even after-track social dinner, for a discounted non-profit price.

The club could still offer drives, social events, etc, but to focus it around something owners love to do, that would be cool. The club would negotiate discounts for tracks, maybe partner with one or more existing track day companies to reserve dedicated run groups for club members (to save costs if we don't have enough people for an entire day). We can partner with track day insurance companies for discounts too.

Special events like Senna/P1 ride alongs during a ride along lunch time session by willing owners would be cool too.

Of course we might need to focus the track events around certain metros (probably near McLaren dealers - so socal, norcal, Houston, New York, etc), but maybe we can arrange for reasonable cost transportation/lodging for owners who want to attend from a less popular area to spend some time on world class tracks (eg Laguna Seca). Could even partner with airbnb or even existing owners who also airbnb their places 🙂

Anyway, just a thought as it feels like a group like us, with limited numbers, and a passion for actually driving our cars, I think such an idea might work - and it'd be a helluva lot more interesting than a quick drive, or a C&C event! 😉

Thanks!

Z.
post #63 of 66 Old 12-15-2018, 03:07 AM
All cars are beautiful
Owner

Garage
Interesting...but both the website and registration page is down. Is this club still operating? I'd like to join.

Enjoy life but be reasonable, you never know but you might actually live another day to pay for it!

post #64 of 66 Old 12-16-2018, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars View Post
Interesting...but both the website and registration page is down. Is this club still operating? I'd like to join.

We killed the site as Corporate has no interst in supporting one. They are focusing keeping events and experiences in house.

So with that the will to fight is not there.

Drive organizer
Drive database and photo locations
Keeper of the Vins (All production models)
PM Your vin if not listed (World Wide list)
McLaren database of cars
post #65 of 66 Old 02-07-2019, 01:05 AM

I think it is a shame that you killed the idea of a club. When any of the other marque car clubs started the manufacturers could not care. It is only when the clubs get to a critical mass that the manufacturers stand up and take notice.
post #66 of 66 Old 02-08-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtracer37 View Post
I think it is a shame that you killed the idea of a club. When any of the other marque car clubs started the manufacturers could not care. It is only when the clubs get to a critical mass that the manufacturers stand up and take notice.

The ultimate reason for killing it was no owners other than a handful offerd to help. Also when we tried to organize events and or drive no one wanted to attend. Unless it was close to them or a cars and coffee no one was willing to drive the distances to meet up. Thus if no one was interested in participating then the effort to make something was lost.

@nh4 and I tried and made it farther but ultimately the ownership base was not interested at this point in time.

Drive organizer
Drive database and photo locations
Keeper of the Vins (All production models)
PM Your vin if not listed (World Wide list)
McLaren database of cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in