5 year Check up... Ouch - McLaren Life
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
 
Dano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 60
5 year Check up... Ouch

So I just brought my 2014 12C in for it yearly service to McLaren in Newport Beach. As it's a 2014 they told me I need the 5 year servicing which is $2700 instead of the normal $1800 yearly service. Now they are saying the tires are 6 years old and need to be replaced for $1800 plus a "slight" oil leak they can fix for $1100. The car only has just over 7K miles on it. Has been in my garage for over a year now without one drop of oil on the floor. Tires are probably from 2014 but still look great to me. they say the tire dampers are gone too $550 (I don't even know what those are, lol). Does this sound legit to you guys that have gone through this or are they creating new things to do to get as much money out of this service as possible. I'm just never that trusting when I drop off a car and let them tell me what they think needs to be done.



PS: I haven't given up on the new OLED screens. Still working on a new version to be tested when I get the car back.


Dano
Dano is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 10:16 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 662
OGARA is traditionally cheaper. A lot can be skipped. Windshield wipers. Key battery. Cabin filter. You can shave a few hundred here and there pretty quickly.

You will need a break down to see what the service includes.

Tires are fine to skip I’d your not tracking or doing aggressive driving.
Dano likes this.
Firstkill is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Dano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 60
Thanks for the advise. I appreciate it.
Dano is online now  
 
post #4 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 12:42 AM
 
midnightblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 135
Garage
The rubber compounds in tires get harder and lose grip with age. So, even if you have not worn down the tread the tires may become dangerous if they are too old. With a high performance car this is doubly true as loss of traction can quickly turn into a wreck. (Like what happened with Paul Walker and his CGT which was running on its original tires). If you look at the sidewall of the tire it has a manufacture date listed. First two digits are the week and the second two are the year. Anything over six years is probably not a good idea. Anything over ten is flat out dangerous.
On my 2016 570S the tires show as below (week 18 of 2016)
Attached Images
 
vegasmac and Dano like this.
midnightblue is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 02:10 AM
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
I would personally not skip the tires.

I had ten year old tires on my Lamborghini Diablo some years ago. Same story as everyone - low miles car with excellent tread left. I took a visiting friend out in the back roads around my house for some fun, touching 130 in places. After I dropped him off, toodling home at 55, the right rear suffered a catastrophic failure and completely separated from the sidewall. If that had happened a half-hour earlier, there's no question in my mind that the car would've been totaled and possibly me and him with it. No prior evidence of issue with the car or the tires, and proper tire pressure checked and maintained at every drive.

I bought my 2005 Vanquish S used in 2012. Had the original tires on it, which had great tread life left. The first few months I was disappointed with the handling of the car. Not nearly as sharp as I expected and it wanted to spin tires in many places where my old Testarossa would not. When it dawned on me to check the tire dates, I replaced them immediately. The car was transformed. New grippy rubber gave me the car I knew I had paid for.

I know that things add up in a hurry, and those of us (myself absolutely included) who buy depreciated cars that might otherwise be either unobtainable or unwise, are tempted to save where we can. But tires are the only thing connecting your six-figure car and your priceless butt to the pavement. If it were me, having been nearly burned badly, I would skip everything else first to do the tires. Just my $0.02.
Saudio, Dano and Peter Brink like this.
cgperry is online now  
post #6 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 03:10 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 662
ogara will price match tirerack to some extent, so best to come armed with data and pricing
Firstkill is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 03:13 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,799
Not sure what the tire dampeners would be?
dvandentop is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 03:37 AM
Owner
 
smrtasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 33
Garage
I also have a 14 12C spider and stopped by NB last week to schedule service. I gave up trying to call after 3 days of no one answering the phones. I was quoted 1700 for my 5 year service by George I think it was. He told me that the year 5 service was the same as the year 1 service and the cheapest at 1700. He is supposed to email me a breakdown as there are a few things I will probably skip like the wipers. Interesting that you were quoted 2700 and I was quoted 1700....
smrtasp is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 06:33 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtasp View Post
I also have a 14 12C spider and stopped by NB last week to schedule service. I gave up trying to call after 3 days of no one answering the phones. I was quoted 1700 for my 5 year service by George I think it was. He told me that the year 5 service was the same as the year 1 service and the cheapest at 1700. He is supposed to email me a breakdown as there are a few things I will probably skip like the wipers. Interesting that you were quoted 2700 and I was quoted 1700....
NB hit me with a high quote for an annual, headlight refurbish and curb rashed rim touchup a couple of weeks ago. I ended up sending the car to O'Gara.
JRC123 is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
 
Dano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgperry View Post
I would personally not skip the tires.

I had ten year old tires on my Lamborghini Diablo some years ago. Same story as everyone - low miles car with excellent tread left. I took a visiting friend out in the back roads around my house for some fun, touching 130 in places. After I dropped him off, toodling home at 55, the right rear suffered a catastrophic failure and completely separated from the sidewall. If that had happened a half-hour earlier, there's no question in my mind that the car would've been totaled and possibly me and him with it. No prior evidence of issue with the car or the tires, and proper tire pressure checked and maintained at every drive.

I bought my 2005 Vanquish S used in 2012. Had the original tires on it, which had great tread life left. The first few months I was disappointed with the handling of the car. Not nearly as sharp as I expected and it wanted to spin tires in many places where my old Testarossa would not. When it dawned on me to check the tire dates, I replaced them immediately. The car was transformed. New grippy rubber gave me the car I knew I had paid for.

I know that things add up in a hurry, and those of us (myself absolutely included) who buy depreciated cars that might otherwise be either unobtainable or unwise, are tempted to save where we can. But tires are the only thing connecting your six-figure car and your priceless butt to the pavement. If it were me, having been nearly burned badly, I would skip everything else first to do the tires. Just my $0.02.



I know exactly what you and Midnightblue are talking about. Although I must admit I was hoping someone would give me a good reason to not replace a perfect looking set of very expensive tires, LOL. However I have also had experience with aged tires. I had an old Lincoln Navigator that had tires with plenty of tread but were probably 5-10 years old. Coming back from Vegas a few years ago, in the middle of nowhere between Nevada and California, going 70MPH, my passenger rear tire decided to come apart. Not a pleasant experience. It looked like an 18 wheeler re-tread that you see laying in the road some times. The tire didn't blow out but 3/4 of the tread just separated from tire. It whacked the wheel well something awful and pretty much took out the back passenger side of the vehicle. Since then I have been a big believer in changing old tires. Kinda sucks for me because I have 4 cars and 3 motorcycles so my vehicles don't get a lot of wear but, there you go. Safety first. Always. Damn


The comments from all the other owners is very helpful too. I need to make a few phone calls tomorrow. Thanks.
Dano is online now  
post #11 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 01:16 PM
Owner
 
2016 650S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kansas City Missouri
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightblue View Post
The rubber compounds in tires get harder and lose grip with age. So, even if you have not worn down the tread the tires may become dangerous if they are too old. With a high performance car this is doubly true as loss of traction can quickly turn into a wreck. (Like what happened with Paul Walker and his CGT which was running on its original tires). If you look at the sidewall of the tire it has a manufacture date listed. First two digits are the week and the second two are the year. Anything over six years is probably not a good idea. Anything over ten is flat out dangerous.
On my 2016 570S the tires show as below (week 18 of 2016)
midnightblue has a great point. My Ford Gt was 10 years old with 3,000 miles on it and the tires (goodyears) were very hard and would not grip. Replaced them and a totally different feel and car.

If you don't drive much or not exercising the car, tires are ok. If you get on it from time to time, good insurance. BTW, check the date on new tires as you buy them. Some tires sit on the shelf for along time and they are getting old just sitting on the shelf. Batteries and tires are like milk, check the date.


Mike
Dano likes this.
2016 650S is online now  
post #12 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 01:24 PM
570S Silica White
 
Gary(SF)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Los Altos Hills, CA
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvandentop View Post
Not sure what the tire dampeners would be?
My guess: the foam inserts in the Pirelli PZeros.
Gary(SF) is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 02:29 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary(SF) View Post
My guess: the foam inserts in the Pirelli PZeros.
really curious as to what they look like, does anyone have a picture?
zlykot is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 02:43 PM
570S Silica White
 
Gary(SF)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Los Altos Hills, CA
Posts: 642
I don't have a picture, but I've seen them, because when I ordered new Corsas I had the tire shop rip them out before installation. They are foam blocks that are a few inches tall, an inch or so wide, mounted crosswise in the tire and glued in place, spaced maybe 6 inches apart throughout the tire. They are intended to reduce road noise, but I've heard several reports of them coming loose in the tire, especially at track events, so I had them removed. Didn't really notice much difference in noise level from the OE tires that had the foam inserts.
Dano likes this.
Gary(SF) is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 03:02 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
great, thanks
zlykot is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check vehicle history before buying - VIN Check johu89 McLaren MP4-12C 1 07-20-2018 02:04 PM
Ouch, Wheel Spoiler Damage jerome88 McLaren MP4-12C 9 08-28-2013 06:42 AM
Ouch!!! nicklinacre17 McLaren MP4-12C 5 08-24-2013 04:49 AM
Long Awaited Spa Track Day Video (Ouch!) macmadmark McLaren MP4-12C 16 06-26-2013 04:30 PM
Ouch..... Wrecked 12Cs falb McLaren MP4-12C 11 01-16-2012 07:13 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome