5 year Check up... Ouch - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 08:36 PM

Garage
Might worth checking with an independent shop for the annual service. I believe Raging Bull Performance in Costa Mesa can service Macs. I haven't used them yet so I can't personally vouch for them but I plan on giving them a call when it's time for my service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 05-15-2019, 09:35 PM
Owner

Dano, straight from a tire manufacturer... 10 years. https://www.continental-tires.com/ca...eplacing-tires
Dano likes this.
post #18 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 02:52 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC123 View Post
NB hit me with a high quote for an annual, headlight refurbish and curb rashed rim touchup a couple of weeks ago. I ended up sending the car to O'Gara.
This is unfortunate. Brian was awesome to deal with but I guess left and from what I can tell there is only one service manager dedicated to McLaren as it is. When I first got my 12C I had a number of things done like soft close doors, red seat belts and full AWE exhaust. I had mentioned I was going to use Raging Bull and Brian made it a point to beat any estimate they gave me. I ended up having all the work done at NB service for something like 1600 dollars (I had already purchased all the parts), 900 of which was the exhaust by itself and the other 700 for the door latches and seat belts. NB seemed to be the cheapest by far in terms of labor so I just assumed their annual services would be a bit less.

I'd also check with others on the headlight refurb. Some are reporting that even with the refurb kit, the issue is coming back within ~6 months so it may be a waste of 2K. Ive heard there may be someone local to OC that will do the work in your garage for 500 so I may go that route and give the refurb kits more time and see what others report for more long term results.

post #19 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 03:05 PM

Honestly, upgrading your tires to the latest rubber will increase the performance more than you would by going to an LT lol

Seriously, tires have come such a long way in just a few years. If anything is worth the money, it's the tires.
mcx, Lefty and rnixon like this.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
Honestly, upgrading your tires to the latest rubber will increase the performance more than you would by going to an LT lol

Seriously, tires have come such a long way in just a few years. If anything is worth the money, it's the tires.
Agreed. You wouldn't dream of using old, or lower octane, fuel. Tyres have a direct effect on the cars handling, noise and comfort.
post #21 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 05:19 PM
Owner

What am I missing here - 7k miles and there is thread life left...........? ;-)

Since you are driving like a granny, you don't have to worry about tire deterioration, that is an issue only if you ever put the petal to the floor, or go over 70 MPH...........
Dano likes this.
post #22 of 24 Old 05-16-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_MP4 View Post
What am I missing here - 7k miles and there is thread life left...........? ;-)

Since you are driving like a granny, you don't have to worry about tire deterioration, that is an issue only if you ever put the petal to the floor, or go over 70 MPH...........

LOL. In my defense I bought it from the original owner a year ago with about 6900 miles on it. He put most of the miles on it to date. I'm going to blame him for the excessive tired tread remaining. I've not driven it as much as I should since most of the time the HVAC controls are taken out of the doors while I am working on the new OLED displays. However, I can confirm that is does go well over 70 MPH

Dano
post #23 of 24 Old 05-17-2019, 10:17 PM
Owner

Garage
In light of the OPs message about the 5 year service cost and how far off NB McLaren was with my quote of 1700, I checked with Ogara. Ogara came in at 2800, I believe their hourly rate is a bit higher than NB. Turns out that NB McLaren used the wrong info and gave me the year 3 price quote. I'm guessing that had I dropped it off as is and NB got into the service that I would have been hit with a much larger bill in the end. Also for whats is worth, Ogara also has a 15% discount for first time customers which drops the bill a bit and they agreed to match the 2700 price to begin with. Given the challenges with NB (I believe they are just super busy right now) Im having my year 5 service done at Ogara BH.
post #24 of 24 Old 05-17-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtasp View Post
In light of the OPs message about the 5 year service cost and how far off NB McLaren was with my quote of 1700, I checked with Ogara. Ogara came in at 2800, I believe their hourly rate is a bit higher than NB. Turns out that NB McLaren used the wrong info and gave me the year 3 price quote. I'm guessing that had I dropped it off as is and NB got into the service that I would have been hit with a much larger bill in the end. Also for whats is worth, Ogara also has a 15% discount for first time customers which drops the bill a bit and they agreed to match the 2700 price to begin with. Given the challenges with NB (I believe they are just super busy right now) Im having my year 5 service done at Ogara BH.

Spoke with George today at NB McLaren. He said you can shave the 5 year down to save $ by cutting out a few things, maybe $400 or so but he told me he got my final service total down to $2400 anyway so I figured we'd do the full service. I decided to go with new tires because of my past experience with old tires and a lot of you correctly pointed out that your life is probably worth more than a new set of tires Same concept when riding my Ducati or Indian. You never cut corners when purchasing a good helmet. $600 helmet can save you life just like grippy tires which won't spontaneously unravel at 120 MPH will prevent a serious accident from occurring when you least expect it. So spend the money, safety first. Plus the cost now for a new set of Corsas is $1300 which I think is reasonable.

I also have a few self inflicted scrapes under the car (who doesnt't, lol) and a paint chip or two which need touch up. The paint alone is $1000 / Pint (and one pint is the minimum you can buy from McLaren). ......It must be some kind of magic paint, and it takes 3 weeks to get here after order. I've heard great things about Sterling Auto in Tustin so that will be my first choice for the paint work.

Lot of good comments on here BTW. Thanks.

Dano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in