Ceramic Paint Coating - McLaren Life
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By JJWNH
  • 1 Post By Bob_D

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-21-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Ceramic Paint Coating

As a total newbie (less than 3 weeks with a 2014 Spider) I was wondering if any other owners had good or bad experiences with Ceramic Paint Coatings. There seems to be a lot of different warranty levels anything from 1 yr to Lifetime and every combination in between !
ima2nr likes this.

Its an MP412C life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-21-2019, 02:01 PM
Spec 570 Spider soon

I am NOT affiliated with Chicago Auto Pros, but have researched ceramic coatings for my upcoming purchase, and find these guys super-eager to share information. I know their shop uses Modesta quite a bit, but there are other high-quality suppliers, too. Good luck in your research!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK_...ci-9bwq2YDSifQ

Go to bottom of page, "Jason's Detail Tips" and there are four vids from a detailer's perspective about ceramic coatings. I hope you find this useful.
ima2nr likes this.

An adage from the misspent youth of my skydiving days: "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast..."
post #3 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 07:45 AM

Better PPF + Ceramic Coating

post #4 of 10 Old 04-22-2019, 03:48 PM

paint correction first, then PPF and ceramic coating. Seems there is a difference of opinion whether the PPF should also have a ceramic coating applied. Personally i don't see the logic but I know others will disagree.

Last edited by GenevaGT; 04-22-2019 at 03:52 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 03:20 AM
Owner

One of my posts from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
CeramicPro is notorious for marketing BS. No coating will last 4-5 years without maintaining it/retopping it. The life/longevity of a coating is based upon PREP of the surface, install, and maintenance of the coating. Proper maintenance. I own a high end detailing studio.

I use Gyeon and CarPro CQuartz for coatings.

PPF can be topped w/ a coating, but if you do a coating first, the PPF will lift/fail.

-Troy

2012 12C | Elite Pearl White | Sports Exhaust | IRIS2 | Alcantara | Carbon Fiber Interior, Mirrors, Turning Vanes, Engine Bay 1 & 2

Instagram: @troysowers
YouTube: Troy Sowers
post #6 of 10 Old 04-29-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the feedback. I found a local company who uses Pearl Nano coatings and will do the PPF. I was intrigued by the concept of lifetime coating but Lefty makes sense as I couldnlt see how it works.

Its being done in early may so will ost some before/after shots.

Once agian thanks

Its an MP412C life
post #7 of 10 Old 04-29-2019, 02:05 PM

Realize at some point the PPF or Coating or both will age out. The PPF will yellow and need to be replaced. The coating will eventually need redoing as well. It won't happen tomorrow or next year, but a few years down the road it will need to be redone.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-29-2019, 03:50 PM
Owner

Sprayable ppf is becoming a thing will be interesting to how much it takes over marketshare need a paint booth obviously though
post #9 of 10 Old 05-06-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

I guess it mirrors life then, my outer shell needs to be redone !

Its an MP412C life
post #10 of 10 Old 05-06-2019, 03:17 PM
Owner

I have had Modesta coatings on all my cars since i discovered ceramic coatings, 7 cars and counting.

My take on it is that when you strip away some of the more exaggerated claims regarding ceramic coatings (Modesta doesn’t make any BS claims that i’ve read, but some other brands do), the product meets expectations and has value. It certainly makes car care MUCH easier and the sacrificial outer layer has protected me from surface damage (note - not impacts but contamination and etching).

Is it worth it? Personally, for me, it is. I’m not willing to compromise on the quality of my cars’ finish, so i’m essentially trading money for my time. Other people think it’s crazy to spend that much money for something they can do themselves, and they’re not wrong either.

The one other observation i have is that I really do think installers should be willing to work with you on the overall cost, depending on the job. The overwhelming portion of the installer’s cost is labor, particularly if a lot of paint correction is needed, so if you’re taking a clean car to him without a lot of damage or marring, he should pass some of his savings to you. I’m not sure if that’s what installers generally do, but mine certainly does work with me...although of course i’m not sure if what i’m getting is a “your car is already clean” discount, or a “repeat customer” discount....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in