Carbon Armadillo / Heat Blanket - XPRD - McLaren Life
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By Oildoctor
  • 1 Post By Lefty
  • 1 Post By Oildoctor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-15-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Carbon Armadillo / Heat Blanket - XPRD

For almost 6 months I have been contemplating a carbon armadillo on my 12C. I've read through all the horror story threads on bubbling/color changed resin and failed armadillo's. I've been a customer of XPRD since I started and his knowledge of these cars is extensive. At first we didn't think it would be possible to find a solution, but after some back and forth we started to find a couple groups we thought might be successful. We looked at multiple options and took a gamble with a UK based company that said they could make one that could hold up to the heat.

After about a month back and forth we finally received the Armadillo. The armadillo looks great, but has a slight color to it due to the high temperature resin process the manufacturer uses. The manufacturer tested it on a vehicle of theirs as well, with multiple track days, and stated they hadn't seen any degradation, which was very promising.

XPRD also suggested, as added precaution with our new piece from across the pond, to add a heat blanket to cut back on temperatures as well. After some spirited driving, I used to have to remove my hand from above the armadillo after about 5 seconds. Not anymore. I can get my hand about an inch away and hold it there for about a minute. XPRD's designed blankets cut way back on the heat.

Today we finally found where we both had free time and got to installing the pieces. We had everything swapped out and back in within two hours. Took the car for a quick run with no issues or faults. I then drove the car home about 100 miles, taking some back roads to be able to push the temperatures high, and pulled the car in the garage for a quick look just before the rain started. As you can see the Armadillo held up without any issues. I'll be doing some more driving this coming weekend, but it seems a solution was finally found, thanks to XPRD!
Attached Images

RonMathMD, DakotaGT and ima2nr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-16-2019, 01:34 AM
@ChaseZimmerman
Owner

Looks phenomenal... if it holds up well I'll buy one for sure!

Current: 2012 McLaren MP4-12C - 3M Gloss Storm Gray / Carbon Black
Past: '14 Audi R8 V10 / '12 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Spyder Performante / '11 Rolls-Royce Ghost Mansory / '10 Audi R8 V10 / '10 Porsche 911 Turbo Vorsteiner / '09 Audi R8 V8 / '09 Nissan GTR / '09 Mercedes-Benz CL63 AMG / '08 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2019, 02:50 PM

Looks fantastic! Well done, and given XPRD's *excellent* reputation, I'm sure it will stand up to the test of time. Given my mechanical ignorance, though, I am obliged to ask what may be a stupid, stupid question.

Isn't the whole point of the Armadillo to vent heat out of the engine compartment? In other words, being unable to hold your hand over it for more than 5 seconds is a FEATURE and not a bug, right? Glad to see that the heat blanket will restrict the amount of heat going into the Armadillo, but don't we WANT heat to exit the engine area, as much as possible?

What am I missing? (Again, this really could just be my mechanical ignorance here...)

thx,

--Dennis

post #4 of 9 Old 04-17-2019, 01:03 AM
Owner

I wish the weave would be centered/meet up in the middle like on your wing rather than just going one direction.

-Troy

2012 12C | Elite Pearl White | Sports Exhaust | IRIS2 | Alcantara | Carbon Fiber Interior, Mirrors, Turning Vanes, Engine Bay 1 & 2

Instagram: @troysowers
YouTube: Troy Sowers
post #5 of 9 Old 04-17-2019, 01:54 AM
@ChaseZimmerman
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
I wish the weave would be centered/meet up in the middle like on your wing rather than just going one direction.

-Troy
And I thought I had OCD!

Current: 2012 McLaren MP4-12C - 3M Gloss Storm Gray / Carbon Black
Past: '14 Audi R8 V10 / '12 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Spyder Performante / '11 Rolls-Royce Ghost Mansory / '10 Audi R8 V10 / '10 Porsche 911 Turbo Vorsteiner / '09 Audi R8 V8 / '09 Nissan GTR / '09 Mercedes-Benz CL63 AMG / '08 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
post #6 of 9 Old 04-18-2019, 12:54 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSIIICK View Post
And I thought I had OCD!
Yeah...it's pretty bad LOL

-Troy
SSIIICK likes this.

2012 12C | Elite Pearl White | Sports Exhaust | IRIS2 | Alcantara | Carbon Fiber Interior, Mirrors, Turning Vanes, Engine Bay 1 & 2

Instagram: @troysowers
YouTube: Troy Sowers
post #7 of 9 Old 04-18-2019, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post

-Troy
We based the selection to try and "mirror" the MSO version, which is one direction weave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead View Post
Looks fantastic! Well done, and given XPRD's *excellent* reputation, I'm sure it will stand up to the test of time. Given my mechanical ignorance, though, I am obliged to ask what may be a stupid, stupid question.

Isn't the whole point of the Armadillo to vent heat out of the engine compartment? In other words, being unable to hold your hand over it for more than 5 seconds is a FEATURE and not a bug, right? Glad to see that the heat blanket will restrict the amount of heat going into the Armadillo, but don't we WANT heat to exit the engine area, as much as possible?

What am I missing? (Again, this really could just be my mechanical ignorance here...)

thx,

--Dennis
The exhaust wrap was mainly used to reduce radiant heat to the armadillo incase it started to degrade over time. Based on the driving I've done I don't believe it will bubble. All carbon items under heat start to "yellow" over time. This was to do our best to prevent that as long as possible. The armadillo does a good job of cooling the exhaust when moving, but not while stationary!

The heat will ultimately still leave the engine bay via the exhaust. Should increase the exhaust gas velocities.
BigHead likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-18-2019, 12:29 PM

NICE! XPRD is the king. whats the costs?

current cars:
2013 12c 1000whp goal
2018 glc63 amg
1994 toyota soarer 1200whp
2014 audi r8
secret level 6 armored car

past cars:
2016 bmw i8
1998 RHD supra
2015 m4
2018 m3
2008 m3
2004 twin turbo gallardo
2013 gallardo 50th anniversary
2013 GTR
post #9 of 9 Old 04-21-2019, 02:09 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

HEAR!

HEAR!

LONG live THE KING of the P-SERIES Platform's... He who holds answers to all thing McLaren that must be replace, repaired, or improved upon!

KING XPRD!!!

- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C Graphite Gray (his)
- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C Brilliant White (hers)
- 2017 Alfa Romero Giulia Quadrifoglio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in