RPM jump up and down, cold start issue? - McLaren Life
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By eMcL
  • 2 Post By DakotaGT
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Garage
RPM jump up and down, cold start issue?

Got a Mclaren today, 2013, full service done by Mclaren 100 miles ago. When I cold start my RPM jumps 500-1k up and down up and down shuddering almost as if its starving for fuel. No lights, and Mclaren says everything checked and and nothing should be weird, they said maybe an oil cap or something small. Anyone else experience this! Please help tried to get a video and can't, it wont do it again until its fully ice cold the engine. If I rev it the rpm levels off and it stops doing the quick up down up down RPM revs on its own.
Jesse Scialfa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 10:49 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Scialfa View Post
Got a Mclaren today, 2013, full service done by Mclaren 100 miles ago. When I cold start my RPM jumps 500-1k up and down up and down shuddering almost as if its starving for fuel. No lights, and Mclaren says everything checked and and nothing should be weird, they said maybe an oil cap or something small. Anyone else experience this! Please help tried to get a video and can't, it wont do it again until its fully ice cold the engine. If I rev it the rpm levels off and it stops doing the quick up down up down RPM revs on its own.
Have dealer check ISG diaphragm.
DakotaGT likes this.
eMcL is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Garage
Also no lights or codes come on at all, and everything runs normal after a tiny bit warm
Jesse Scialfa is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Garage
any other things it can be? Someone here has to have had this happen or know this issue.
Jesse Scialfa is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 02:16 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,039
eMcL is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 02:26 AM
Owner
 
DakotaGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 175
My 2013 did this pretty regularly with cold start ups, and McLaren Atlanta (where car came from) said it was just a common quirk on some cars. However , I had my doubts, because sometimes it would idle so rough that the Check Engine light would blink for a few seconds. It always went away within a minute. Then, last year, I installed an intake sound generator delete plate, and it hasn’t happened since.
eMcL and RonMathMD like this.

dakota_gt on Instagram
DakotaGT is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Garage
Ok I will change that part to start, and check all caps make sure nobody left like a gas cap or something loose.
Jesse Scialfa is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 05:44 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Scialfa View Post
Ok I will change that part to start, and check all caps make sure nobody left like a gas cap or something loose.
Good, the ISG develops a small (rust) hole in the diaphragm. This allows unmetered air to enter the manifold which leans out the choke Fuel to Air ratio on a cold engine — gives the rough stumble. As the motor heats up there is less effect but in time the hole gets larger and the problem gets much worse for a broader heat range. If you buy the aluminum block off plate from @XPRD that will be a permanent fix for this issue. Hope this is the problem and that you are able to fix it soon ….
eMcL is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
Good, the ISG develops a small (rust) hole in the diaphragm. This allows unmetered air to enter the manifold which leans out the choke Fuel to Air ratio on a cold engine gives the rough stumble. As the motor heats up there is less effect but in time the hole gets larger and the problem gets much worse for a broader heat range. If you buy the aluminum block off plate from @XPRD that will be a permanent fix for this issue. Hope this is the problem and that you are able to fix it soon .

Thank you so much ! Ya it is super rough now, I hope this solves it fingers crossed. Day one with my Mclaren today and it has a flat tire and that issue. And the tires are a week old. Hopefully just a leaking valve stem.
Jesse Scialfa is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Owner
 
Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 527
Could also be a drive line damper.

-Troy

2012 12C | Elite Pearl White | Sports Exhaust | IRIS2 | Alcantara | Carbon Fiber Interior, Mirrors, Turning Vanes, Engine Bay 1 & 2

Instagram: @troysowers
YouTube: Troy Sowers
Lefty is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 03:25 AM
Owner
 
DakotaGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 175
Jesse, any follow up on this issue?

dakota_gt on Instagram
DakotaGT is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 03:31 AM
2012 12C Coupe - VR
Owner
 
RonMathMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Solana Beach, CA
Posts: 1,322
Garage
Hope it's not the cam phasers...Also an issue with 12Cs

2018 720S - Volcano Red
2012 Hyper800R 12C - Volcano Red. Sold but not forgotten.
RonMathMD is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tuned 12C cold start rough idle RonMathMD McLaren MP4-12C 17 05-14-2018 05:55 PM
Picked up a vibration at 3000 rpm's brambleworth McLaren MP4-12C 17 12-28-2016 12:08 PM
Very rough cold start . . . kaninja McLaren MP4-12C 21 12-11-2015 02:08 AM
Topspeed Motors/RPM Lifestyle Exotic Vehicle Gathering 4/11/15 Walnut, CA SoCal, USA angela USA - West 0 04-07-2015 06:31 PM
Sport Exhaust vid - 7000 RPM rev in neutral 6th element McLaren MP4-12C 9 02-25-2012 02:17 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome