I broke off my control stalk - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 19 Old 04-03-2019, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
All cars are beautiful
Owner

Garage
Thanks mdurbahn and zerokewl for your offer and insight!

1. There were no wires that came out that I saw whatsoever.
2. Zerokewl I was told by the dealer that you cannot superglue it together. But based upon what you are telling me that is exactly what can happen. Unfortunately due to lack of time (job) and kids I don't have as much time as I'd like to enjoy this car much less spend time to fix it. However, I'm going to take a look at it better when I have a chance.
3. Mdurbahn Even if I were to buy this from you, unfortunately they said I still need to have it reprogrammed. Thus, I would be no better off since I am going to end up spending most of my money on the labor not the part. Unless there is something different about your part?

Finally, I had a mysterious error message called "Menu Stalk Fault" which the dealership never heard of and need to check out. This error occurred before I broke my control stalk off. Have any of you ever heard of this error message pop up?

Enjoy life but be reasonable, you never know but you might actually live another day to pay for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 Old 04-03-2019, 04:27 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars View Post

2. Zerokewl I was told by the dealer that you cannot superglue it together. But based upon what you are telling me that is exactly what can happen. Unfortunately due to lack of time (job) and kids I don't have as much time as I'd like to enjoy this car much less spend time to fix it. However, I'm going to take a look at it better when I have a chance.
3. Mdurbahn Even if I were to buy this from you, unfortunately they said I still need to have it reprogrammed. Thus, I would be no better off since I am going to end up spending most of my money on the labor not the part. Unless there is something different about your part?

Finally, I had a mysterious error message called "Menu Stalk Fault" which the dealership never heard of and need to check out. This error occurred before I broke my control stalk off. Have any of you ever heard of this error message pop up?
Yeah, superglue on the outside probably won't be great or effective.. but the way I described should be pretty robust.

As for the error, I've not seen it before.. Kinda odd that it happened before it broke, then that's the actual piece that broke. Was it working fine under normal circumstances before it broke?

Thanks!

Z.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-03-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars View Post

I did have that error which is why I changed mine. When I got the error the first time my blinkers stopped working for a minute and then it went away. It got worse and the error message came back permanently and my blinker switch and menu stalk both quit working.

post #19 of 19 Old 04-07-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
All cars are beautiful
Owner

Garage
So I got the quote from the dealer and it is $2,983 and they gotta order the part which will take, I'm guessing, a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I can't use the lift because the stalk is broken but other than the stalk is there anything of major importance that would necessity this being fixed asap? I'm thinking of getting this along with my rear lights all replaced (these under warranty) done with my service come in May/June. Thanks again for all the help.

Enjoy life but be reasonable, you never know but you might actually live another day to pay for it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in