4Likes
  • 1 Post By lolachampcar
  • 2 Post By jmc5
  • 1 Post By SSIIICK
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Unread 03-27-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Non-Squealing CCB after detail

Hopefully my peeps can help with a very small mystery.

My car goes to Mc for airbags. It comes back clean and the carbon brakes do not squeal. A couple hundred miles later and they are squealing again.

I've come to view the squealing as a badge of honor. It keeps me from getting pissed. However, if there is some magic stuff that stops them from squealing, I'd sure like to know about it. Does anyone have any experience with this? With my luck, its probably just keeping them super clean which means there is no hope for me

Thanks,
Bill
carlolsen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Unread 03-27-2019, 02:20 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolachampcar View Post
Hopefully my peeps can help with a very small mystery.

My car goes to Mc for airbags. It comes back clean and the carbon brakes do not squeal. A couple hundred miles later and they are squealing again.

I've come to view the squealing as a badge of honor. It keeps me from getting pissed. However, if there is some magic stuff that stops them from squealing, I'd sure like to know about it. Does anyone have any experience with this? With my luck, its probably just keeping them super clean which means there is no hope for me

Thanks,
Bill
It has been my experience that a strong blast of water on the rotors (making certain to clean the brake dust from all the holes in the face) does stop the squeal for a while. Much sadness, as I am equally bad at keeping my car super clean .
carlolsen and SSIIICK like this.
post #3 of 5 Unread 03-29-2019, 02:08 AM
@ChaseZimmerman
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc5 View Post
It has been my experience that a strong blast of water on the rotors (making certain to clean the brake dust from all the holes in the face) does stop the squeal for a while. Much sadness, as I am equally bad at keeping my car super clean .
+1. I was going to post the exact same thing. When getting the car detailed or washing yourself, just rinse down the rotors thoroughly and it will prevent the squealing for a pretty long time. Once it starts squealing again, it is just letting you know it's time for another wash!
carlolsen likes this.

Current: 2012 McLaren MP4-12C - 3M Gloss Storm Gray / Carbon Black
Past: '14 Audi R8 V10 / '12 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Spyder Performante / '11 Rolls-Royce Ghost Mansory / '10 Audi R8 V10 / '10 Porsche 911 Turbo Vorsteiner / '09 Audi R8 V8 / '09 Nissan GTR / '09 Mercedes-Benz CL63 AMG / '08 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera

post #4 of 5 Unread 03-29-2019, 02:58 AM

I don't know the chemistry/science behind it, but yeah, washing them will remove the squeal for a little bit. It will come back though. I'm guessing even though CCBs don't create dust like normal steel ones, they do obviously wear and leave something behind. I'm guessing washing it off helps briefly.
post #5 of 5 Unread 03-29-2019, 05:11 AM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in