Suddenly, keyfobs don't work - McLaren Life
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 02-03-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Suddenly, keyfobs don't work

Last Sunday I went to a store, left work fine. I got to the store, car wouldn't lock but went inside anyway because nobody can figure out how to open the door (slider) anyway. I came back out, key not found. It took maybe 10 minutes to manage to get the ignition to turn on and eventually start it. At some point it suggested I left the keyfob in the frunk when it was in my hand. With the car started and the keyfob at the cupholders, I started driving and the car suggested I check to see if a key was present. I made it home and parked it.

Fast forward to today. I changed batteries in my keyfob thinking that was it, same thing. I grabbed my spare, same thing. Checked voltage of batteries in both keyfobs 2.995 and 3.1v, transmitting should be no big deal. I again try to make it do anything, best I can get is the ignition to turn on if the keyfob is to the right of the start/stop button, sometimes. It still says key not found

Next logical step for me was disconnect the battery, so I did for about 5 minutes. When I connect power back, mirrors fold in and lights blink. I think, GREAT, fixed it. I use the keyfob to unlock the car and pop the door, fantastic. Go to start it, key not found. Try the keyfob to lock/unlock again, nothing.

What do I have going on here? I feel like the car needs the keyfobs programmed to the car again which I'm sure I can't do #becauseMcLaren or some module has gone bad which I also won't be able to program to the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-03-2019, 01:38 AM

Check entry by @XPRD and @Flash2k6

https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...open-fobs.html

Last edited by eMcL; 02-03-2019 at 01:41 AM.
post #3 of 29 Old 02-03-2019, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post

Link, to link, to link, to got it! I browsed some comments to find a mention of parking near an automatic door. The store I parked at didn't have automatic doors BUT I was parked right at the door, 10 ft from it maybe. Now I'm curious if that scrambled it. It wouldn't explain why it won't work at my house all the sudden. Nothing has changed at my house, if I can get it to start consistently in the "happy place" I may drive it elsewhere and see what happens.
eMcL likes this.

post #4 of 29 Old 02-03-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMF Audio View Post
Link, to link, to link, to got it! I browsed some comments to find a mention of parking near an automatic door. The store I parked at didn't have automatic doors BUT I was parked right at the door, 10 ft from it maybe. Now I'm curious if that scrambled it. It wouldn't explain why it won't work at my house all the sudden. Nothing has changed at my house, if I can get it to start consistently in the "happy place" I may drive it elsewhere and see what happens.
Yeah I think interference seems to have caused issues with some early fobs. Another link
https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...b-problem.html
post #5 of 29 Old 02-03-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

So, an update on what I've done: I left the battery disconnected overnight, reconnected it a bit ago. When putting power back to the car, it locks and mirrors fold in, just like last time. This time, the keyfob DOESN'T unlock it which causes an obvious problem. I disconnect the battery again, reconnect then immediately hit the button to unlock and it does. Great, I can get in now. I try every spot anybody ever mentioned to get it to start and the ONLY way I could get it to start (and did it twice) was to put the keyfob directly next to the start/stop button. So, it wasn't even an every time thing but I did get it to do ANYTHING. So we're onto something right? Put the frunk back together put tools away, use the keyfob to pop the frunk and unlock it. Great, that works. Go to lock it (window down this time) and won't do it. Unlock, frunk, nothing. So anything to do with the keyfob is totally hit or miss and range is garbage when it does work.

At this point I can only assume it's a hardware failure or there is some magical interference that has popped up both at the store I was at and my house. I find that to be highly unlikely.
post #6 of 29 Old 02-03-2019, 04:33 PM

Seems like you have checked everything — maybe needs a new security module. This earlier post from @garyw may be applicable to your case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw View Post
I've had this and have also had the security module and tracker replaced under warranty.

From memory it was the tracker causing an issue initially but it was interacting with the security module.
All replaced and whilst I've not been locked out since, I have had to wander around the car trying to get it to respond to the keyfob, oddly the bonnet release worked but not the doors...?
post #7 of 29 Old 02-03-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Seems like you have checked everything — maybe needs a new security module. This earlier post from @garyw may be applicable to your case?

I don't have a tracker, USA model. Security module sounds like the winner which I'd like to find a part number or part cost to. I'm out of warranty and I'm a DIY guy but I have a feeling that's one of those dealer program items too.
post #8 of 29 Old 02-03-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I don't have a tracker, USA model. Security module sounds like the winner which I'd like to find a part number or part cost to. I'm out of warranty and I'm a DIY guy but I have a feeling that's one of those dealer program items too.
You could PM @XPRD for security module information. The issue/problem may be reprograming the fobs to sync with the module.
You may be aware of this diagnostic tool :-
https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...ming-keys.html
post #9 of 29 Old 02-03-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You could PM @XPRD for security module information. The issue/problem may be reprograming the fobs to sync with the module.
You may be aware of this diagnostic tool :-
https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...ming-keys.html

7 grand is a lot to stomach for informing me of what the problem is without fixing the problem. For 5 grand I could just have a warranty that does the fix, parts and labor. That's the cheapest tool I've seen advertised, another one told me $25k. I'll shoot him a message and see what he says.
post #10 of 29 Old 02-04-2019, 04:21 AM

post #11 of 29 Old 02-04-2019, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead View Post

Ah, the feeling of closure by Canadian's going "uh.... we don't know". I've experienced it at my house and 6 miles from my house so it's less isolated.
post #12 of 29 Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 PM

Stupid question but did you try a new battery? Happened to me about a couple weeks ago. Was on the way home and the fob had already been acting up a week prior with hard to open doors and start. One day I stopped for some fuel and when I tried to start the car it said fob cant be found. So I sat in the car for a good 30mins at the gas station trying to get the car to find the fob in my hand by placing in every location I could in the car, which worked the previous week but no dice that day. Luckily I had a set of batteries for the fob in the car that I had bought earlier and after replacing it fired right up. So far it has worked without a hitch since then.
post #13 of 29 Old 02-04-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
Stupid question but did you try a new battery? Happened to me about a couple weeks ago. Was on the way home and the fob had already been acting up a week prior with hard to open doors and start. One day I stopped for some fuel and when I tried to start the car it said fob cant be found. So I sat in the car for a good 30mins at the gas station trying to get the car to find the fob in my hand by placing in every location I could in the car, which worked the previous week but no dice that day. Luckily I had a set of batteries for the fob in the car that I had bought earlier and after replacing it fired right up. So far it has worked without a hitch since then.

I think I mentioned it in another post, but I did replace both batteries just to be sure, and checked voltages of each battery as well. I do plan on keeping a battery in the car though. See below for that solution I found this morning.
post #14 of 29 Old 02-04-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

BEHOLD! My solution. I knew it had to be a bad module or RF interference. Fortunately for me it was in fact interference, being generated inside the car, so moving the car didn't matter.

scottch, eMcL and XPRD like this.

Last edited by EMF Audio; 02-04-2019 at 11:00 PM.
post #15 of 29 Old 02-04-2019, 10:55 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Garage
Quote:
BEHOLD! My solution. I knew it had to be a bad module or RF interference. Fortunately for me it was in fact interference, being generated inside the car, so moving the car didn't matter.

Your video won’t play for me. Can you tell me what you figured out?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in