Any e85 guys? - McLaren Life
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ima2nr

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-05-2019, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Any e85 guys?

How many guys running e85 and larger injectors on the forum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-05-2019, 03:53 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Not one that I know of. I have a kit to run it. Injectors, bullet rails, and I know a couple tuners whi can hook it up.

XPRD
post #3 of 10 Old 01-05-2019, 05:16 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPRD View Post
Not one that I know of. I have a kit to run it. Injectors, bullet rails, and I know a couple tuners whi can hook it up.

XPRD
Hmm.. got any details on it? Went to your website but seems to just be a contact us page 😉

I run E85 on my other car, but interested in hearing about it on the Mac.. is there a flex fuel map you know of too?

Thanks!

Z.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-05-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

I dont think you can add a flex fuel sensor easily if at all.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-05-2019, 04:48 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

"Ethanol Content Analyzer" kits run around 500.00 or less. It just splices into the fuel line. This will give the driver a real time digital readout of their E-fule ratio (example "E87") so they know if they have good fuel or not...

example of the Ethanol sensor kit - https://www.aemelectronics.com/artic...nt-sensor-kits

example of the ethanol display - https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...RoC6E4QAvD_BwE

The trick is to buy a system that can feed the ECU a signal with the mealtime ratio so the ECU can adapt as conditions change.

so the obvious questions become:

1) does the McLaren ECU have any possible way to receive the data input?
2) Are there any McLaren ECU Tuners that have the talent and the motivation to spend a few hundred hours programming and mapping the fuel tables to pioneer such a setup?

Of course it would be less programming for the tuner if the user agree to a "pure E85" tune, where it is assumed the owner would only use E-85, no exceptions. Then the ECU could be programmed with out any external electrical inputs, and the driver would be responsible to check his Ethanol content religiously every time the car was driven.

The you must remember there "really" are only a handful of people that have actually programmed the McLaren ECU (meaning they could be the person that has the skills to write entirely new fuel maps and coding). The rest of the ECU Tune vendors are basically selling pirated/copied software from someone else. (basically stolen or legally resold, these vendors don't have the programming skills, they are just re-selling someone elses work under a different advertisement or set of performance claims)

So you now have to find one of the 3 or 4 Tuners that can actually write the code, and propose a business case where it will be profitable enough for them to spend the countless hours writing code, then you testing the code on your 100k+ supercar, then they refine the code some more, then more dyno testing, and some street testing, and "maybe" some broken parts and repairs out of your pocket, ... , "rinse, lather, and repeat"... and so on... Basically be prepared to invest TIME, MONEY and ENERGY.

Remember. If your are the first to go where no other McLaren owner has gone before... you will learn things no one else has learned (it mightr be cheaper than expected, or it might cost more than you imagined. BUT you will be the HERO of our micro-universe here on McLaren Life!!!

I'm not discouraging you, because I feel there are MANY people here that would love someone else to take the plunge, So call up Crystal-Impreza and throw him some cash to tune your ECU for the E85 Juice!

Be the HERO that proves just how bad-ass our 3.8L power plant performs when it is allowed to run on a superior fuel!

BASICALLY WE ALL WANT IT (every person reading this thread has mostly likely dreamed of it) BUT SO FAR NOBODY HAS BEEN WILLING TO BE THE FIRST TO HAVE THE TESTICULAR FORTITUDE TO DO IT....

MAYBE the cooler temps of Ethanol will ELIMINATE some of the past engine failure issues see on the earlier 12c's (think "cracked Heads" with coolant leaks)? Maybe E85 is the miracle cure! and you get a 200+ HP bonus to go with it? It's not really far fetched if you have studied the benefits of E85 as a high horsepower fuel.

I will say if it was already done. Tested, Proven Results, and just a "point, click, pay, and bolt on" ready product I would be a buyer right now. But honestly I'm not prepared to be the pioneer hero because my pockets are deep enough to absorb the worst case scenario that such a project could bring.

So please be our HERO! Do it first, and all rest of us will be ready to buy the completed bolt on/ tested/tuned kit.
RonMathMD likes this.

- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C Graphite Gray (his)
- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C Brilliant White (hers)
- 2016 Tesla P85d w/Insane Mode
post #6 of 10 Old 01-06-2019, 03:30 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Yeah, flex fuel sensors are easy (I installed one in my other car - just an in-line fuel analysis sensor), so really the issue is the tuning of the Bosch ME17.8.3.2 ECU. The sensors I use (Continental) output a digital signal, and use frequency to determine ethanol content (50Hz to 150Hz, with 50Hz = 0% and 150Hz = 100%), and pulse width to determine temperature (1ms width for -40C to 5ms for 125C. A free digital input on the ECU could read this, but I’m not fully versed in ME17 mapping so not sure exactly how this would work. It’s pretty easy on Evo ECUs, but does require some significant code changes in the ROM to provide the needed tables.

If there isn’t a free input, we could even tap in to the CAN bus to deliver the data to the ECU.

For me personally I’d have to do a ton more research in to this ECU to see what it’s capable of.. would be nice, for sure. However, saying that, none of the tracks I go to ever have E85 anywhere near them, so that would be annoying.

Happy to hear if any other tuners have been able to figure it out tho.

Thanks!

Z.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-22-2019, 09:34 PM

Garage
You could tap into the ISG once you delete it. Or you could code in logic to use the widebands to determine ethanol content. This is a common practice FCA uses in it's ecu's
post #8 of 10 Old 01-23-2019, 03:27 AM
2012 12C Coupe - VR
Owner

Garage
I think Dynospectrum is working on E85 for Mcs

2018 720S - Volcano Red
2012 Hyper800R 12C - Volcano Red. Sold but not forgotten.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-21-2019, 03:34 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal_imprezav View Post
You could tap into the ISG once you delete it. Or you could code in logic to use the widebands to determine ethanol content. This is a common practice FCA uses in it's ecu's
What is your opinion of e85 in comparison to pump gas w/ meth?
post #10 of 10 Old 02-21-2019, 03:44 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMathMD View Post
I think Dynospectrum is working on E85 for Mcs
https://www.facebook.com/DynoSpectru...585317?sfns=mo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in