Various Cylinder Misfires - Page 3 - McLaren Life
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 65 Old 03-05-2019, 04:42 AM

Hello folks, I’m new to the forum and I was hoping that someone here had the same issue and found the problem.
I took my car to the mclaren of SF for a basic oil change, after getting the car delivered back to my work, the car has a huge misfire on bank 5,6,7 and 8 (left side of the engine) and it the engine will shake, rpm will fluctuate during idle as well doing a valve noise due the fluctuating RPM (sounds like a lose nut on the bottom metal pan)
Own the car for 2 years and never had any issue whatsoever. I’m not sure if it’s related to the oil change or just a coincidence. The weird metal noise and misfire disappears during cold start, it will appear once the engine warms up.
Tried to look everywhere for a lead or a tip to find solution for this issue but no luck.
I find very odd to be misfiring on all the cylinders on the driver side of the engine. Also very odd to appears right after an oil change which technically speaking should have nothing to do with the misfire.
If anyone can help, I greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 04:52 AM

So I replaced all spark plugs, switched the ignition coils, o2 sensors, maf sensors, intercooler pressure sensor, replaced air filters and the car still misfires on cylinder 5,6,7,8. The whole bank is misfiring. Only misfires on idle. No misfires when engine is cold or at high RPMs. Very weird and annoying to diagnose. Obviously mclaren of San Francisco will always recommend a new engine or even a whole new car. I’m just trying to work all my options before I do anything else to it. Anyone can help? Any tip? Anything I’m forgetting to check????
post #33 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi.guilherme View Post
So I replaced all spark plugs, switched the ignition coils, o2 sensors, maf sensors, intercooler pressure sensor, replaced air filters and the car still misfires on cylinder 5,6,7,8. The whole bank is misfiring. Only misfires on idle. No misfires when engine is cold or at high RPMs. Very weird and annoying to diagnose. Obviously mclaren of San Francisco will always recommend a new engine or even a whole new car. I知 just trying to work all my options before I do anything else to it. Anyone can help? Any tip? Anything I知 forgetting to check????
Misfire can also occur due to lean fuel - could check injectors.

post #34 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Owner

Quote:
So I replaced all spark plugs, switched the ignition coils, o2 sensors, maf sensors, intercooler pressure sensor, replaced air filters and the car still misfires on cylinder 5,6,7,8. The whole bank is misfiring. Only misfires on idle. No misfires when engine is cold or at high RPMs. Very weird and annoying to diagnose. Obviously mclaren of San Francisco will always recommend a new engine or even a whole new car. I知 just trying to work all my options before I do anything else to it. Anyone can help? Any tip? Anything I知 forgetting to check????
If you are having misfires it could be your flywheel / dampener might have come apart, very common problem with these cars. Mine totally came apart and one the of the springs jam the starter, thankfully it stopped there before it had more damage.

There is also a misfire calibration you might need, the dealer can perform this, but I'm fairly certain that the flywheel might be your problem, best way to check is to pull the starter out and put a borescope through that hole while someone spins the motor.

2014 MP412c Spyder
post #35 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBird View Post
If you are having misfires it could be your flywheel / dampener might have come apart, very common problem with these cars. Mine totally came apart and one the of the springs jam the starter, thankfully it stopped there before it had more damage.

There is also a misfire calibration you might need, the dealer can perform this, but I'm fairly certain that the flywheel might be your problem, best way to check is to pull the starter out and put a borescope through that hole while someone spins the motor.
The fact that the misfire cylinders are on a single bank made me think of the cam phaser spring as a possibility.
post #36 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 01:54 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
The fact that the misfire cylinders are on a single bank made me think of the cam phaser spring as a possibility.
Thats a good point too! might be worth checking it out.
eMcL likes this.

2014 MP412c Spyder
post #37 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 02:12 PM

On the plug oiling issue could check cylinder compression.

Also @XPRD is in Bay Area SF you might PM him as he has a workshop and can/does work on McLaren motors

Last edited by eMcL; 03-07-2019 at 02:20 PM.
post #38 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Owner

Quote:
On the plug oiling issue could check cylinder compression.

Also @XPRD is in Bay Area SF you might PM him as he has a workshop and can does work on McLaren motors
Yea leak down and compression test are in order here.

2014 MP412c Spyder
post #39 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Yea leak down and compression test are in order here.
Great having two threads running on the same subject!
post #40 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 03:16 PM

Thank you guys. I’ll start with the compression test then I’ll check the springs and dampers. Have you guys used the XPRD shop? Are they knowledgeable with opening engines? I don’t want to take to mclaren again because I know they will diagnose the easiest: just change the whole engine and even the whole car. My car always ran fine with no issues whatsoever. It has 31k miles and I hate to see this happen to it.
post #41 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 03:19 PM

If that was the case would be doing a louse metal noise at all time? Mine does a rattling noise when it’s misfiring on idle. No noises and no misfires when you actually driving it. I’ll take a video of the rattling noise today for you guys.

Quote:
Quote:
So I replaced all spark plugs, switched the ignition coils, o2 sensors, maf sensors, intercooler pressure sensor, replaced air filters and the car still misfires on cylinder 5,6,7,8. The whole bank is misfiring. Only misfires on idle. No misfires when engine is cold or at high RPMs. Very weird and annoying to diagnose. Obviously mclaren of San Francisco will always recommend a new engine or even a whole new car. I’m just trying to work all my options before I do anything else to it. Anyone can help? Any tip? Anything I’m forgetting to check????

post #42 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Thank you guys. I値l start with the compression test then I値l check the springs and dampers. Have you guys used the XPRD shop? Are they knowledgeable with opening engines? I don稚 want to take to mclaren again because I know they will diagnose the easiest: just change the whole engine and even the whole car. My car always ran fine with no issues whatsoever. It has 31k miles and I hate to see this happen to it.
Haven't used his shop as my cars have warranty but have met him and he supplies complete engines. He is very active on this forum (you can check out his posts) and has been very helpful to people. I recommend you PM him

post #43 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 03:23 PM

I seen a thread where the dealership replaced all the spark plugs, injectors, air filters and still misfiring. I think it’s related to the amount of air going to the bank. Because it’s weird, when the engine is cold, no misfires, no ratling noises. The engine warms up misfires show up.

Quote:
Quote:
Misfire can also occur due to lean fuel - could check injectors.
post #44 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I seen a thread where the dealership replaced all the spark plugs, injectors, air filters and still misfiring. I think it痴 related to the amount of air going to the bank. Because it痴 weird, when the engine is cold, no misfires, no ratling noises. The engine warms up misfires show up.
Yes. When the engine is cold the fuel flow is increased to provide a rich fuel mix ie choke. As the engine warms the mixture is leaned out.
post #45 of 65 Old 03-07-2019, 04:21 PM

I would agree that could be the injectors if it was one or two cylinders misfiring. But it’s giving me a code for the whole bank, cylinder 5,6,7,8. I don’t see how all these injectors went bad at once, unless it’s a dirt on the fuel rail for those injectors. Before replacing anything else I think I’ll do the compression test to see how it goes. Thank you for your input though. Really appreciated the help.

Quote:
Quote:
I seen a thread where the dealership replaced all the spark plugs, injectors, air filters and still misfiring. I think it’s related to the amount of air going to the bank. Because it’s weird, when the engine is cold, no misfires, no ratling noises. The engine warms up misfires show up.
Yes. When the engine is cold the fuel flow is increased to provide a rich fuel mix ie choke. As the engine warms the mixture is leaned out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in