Can you run E85(Ethanol) in the 12C? - McLaren Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-07-2014, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner

Can you run E85(Ethanol) in the 12C?

E85 flex fuel is supposed to increase power and performance as well as have the turbos run cooler. Is the 12C motor qualified to use that fuel?

2012 McLaren MP4-12C
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2014 Nissan GTR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Sponsor
Sponsor

I am not sure about the MP4, but in my past life I used to build a lot of import and domestic drag cars and when converting to e85 we had to run massive injectors, sometimes two fuel pumps, and re-tune the car. they always did make great power though! I know a lot of people run a blend.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Owner

Don't do it! Ethanol is terribly corrosive and you should avoid it whenever possible. In the mid 1990s I worked for Siemens for several years as a fuel systems engineer for the OEM automotive market, and you would not believe the damage Ethanol does to fuel system components (o-ring seals, injector orifices, even metal sealing surfaces, etc.) It is a terrible idea to use Ethanol (even an E10 or E15 blend), and it is only used in the US because the Farm Lobby has donated sufficiently to politicians that they mandated its use.

I don't know if there's a power increase (the specific energy of Ethanol per unit volume is lower than gasoline, but it can tolerate more aggressive ignition mapping, so in some circumstances you probably could see a power boost), but that will likely be offset by increased maintenance costs replacing seals, injectors, etc.

Go to any boating forum, search "Ethanol", and you'll see what I mean. It tends to damage marine engines even more because they often sit unused longer than a typical car.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-07-2014, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Don't do it! Ethanol is terribly corrosive and you should avoid it whenever possible. In the mid 1990s I worked for Siemens for several years as a fuel systems engineer for the OEM automotive market, and you would not believe the damage Ethanol does to fuel system components (o-ring seals, injector orifices, even metal sealing surfaces, etc.) It is a terrible idea to use Ethanol (even an E10 or E15 blend), and it is only used in the US because the Farm Lobby has donated sufficiently to politicians that they mandated its use.

I don't know if there's a power increase (the specific energy of Ethanol per unit volume is lower than gasoline, but it can tolerate more aggressive ignition mapping, so in some circumstances you probably could see a power boost), but that will likely be offset by increased maintenance costs replacing seals, injectors, etc.

Go to any boating forum, search "Ethanol", and you'll see what I mean. It tends to damage marine engines even more because they often sit unused longer than a typical car.
thanks so much for that valuable info- no ethanol for me!!

2012 McLaren MP4-12C
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2014 Nissan GTR
post #5 of 6 Old 05-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

You make many good points regarding the corrosive nature of ethanol except that 1960s technology is no longer in wide use today. I am willing to bet that McLaren like all car manufacturers are fully aware of ethanol. I would bet a king's ransom that the car's fuel system, lines, rails, gas tank, etc... are bullet proof to the affects of ethanol.

I would not run it because you would need a tune for it and the ecu would freak out. IF you could tune for it, then you would make massive power gains from the cooling effects, alone. I would guess 50 hp, at least, with more ignition advance. You would need bigger fuel injectors but probably not a bigger pump.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-08-2014, 01:44 AM
MmmmcLaren

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP4Dream View Post
You make many good points regarding the corrosive nature of ethanol except that 1960s technology is no longer in wide use today. I am willing to bet that McLaren like all car manufacturers are fully aware of ethanol. I would bet a king's ransom that the car's fuel system, lines, rails, gas tank, etc... are bullet proof to the affects of ethanol.

I would not run it because you would need a tune for it and the ecu would freak out. IF you could tune for it, then you would make massive power gains from the cooling effects, alone. I would guess 50 hp, at least, with more ignition advance. You would need bigger fuel injectors but probably not a bigger pump.

This.

|nsx| |mr2 spyder| |911 targa|

|McLaren is an environment where excellence is a way of life. -McRon|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in