What do McLaren need to do - McLaren Life
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By silentownage001
  • 3 Post By ZombiePhysicist
  • 1 Post By rnixon

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

What do McLaren need to do

After reading EvolutionAutomotive's thread on his 720 and the customer service he's received I wanted to spark a more in-depth conversation about the various challenges McLaren have faced, some of which are self-inflicted.

I wanted to first share this video from Thorney Motorsport in the UK. Based on all that has been posted on this forum, I think it paints a pretty good picture of McLaren ownership. Certainly some reliability problems, but not nearly as bad as some people (ahem YouTubers) make out. Not trying to knock those who have had legitimate issues, but others just seem to want to cause a fuss.

I think it's also a positive sign Thorney has the diagnostic equipment for McLarens. Perhaps more independents will be able to service them in the not too distant future.

Seriously though, why did they cheap out on the coolant clamps? Stronger clamps would have avoided the issue and the damage to McLaren's reputation.

Secondly, I wanted to share this thread from PH as it is quite the discussion on ideas for how McLaren can improve resale values.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...=242&t=1809336

To be fair, from what I've read here it seems the newer cars are doing better. It also seems promising that the UK owners' club has been having discussions with McLaren.

Ultimately, what I glean from all of this is that McLaren could certainly come out on top of the competition and change the game more than they have already done so if they just get it together in specific areas.

Current
2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 01:29 PM
Owner

I feel the title of your post is incomplete. Need to do, to accomplish what, exactly?

Do they need to shift more cars? Now or in the future? Do they need to build a positive brand reputation? Again, now or in the future? Do they need to provide better after-sale service? Do you think that even hits the agenda at board meetings?

Do they need to IPO? Do they need to be ethical?

I bet we here can't even agree. Regardless, the archives of this forum are littered with virtual checklists and summaries of this exact question, neatly itemized for MA execs to reference.

Hint: They won't bother.

Perhaps still a fun discussion, though.

My two cents: They need to step up QA/QC and reliability. I can forgive a lot for a great performing car that is trouble-free. Otherwise, I'm not even interested in a new one, or a used one.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 02:45 PM
Jas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th element View Post

Hint: They won't bother.
I couldn't disagree more.

I've had a lot of recent meetings (at events) with top McLaren execs, including Mike Flewitt. I get exactly the opposite impression. They are listening, they care, and are engaging with owners.

Specifically on our feedback, residuals, service standards, quality control.

I get a better feeling from McLaren's attitude than any other car company I've dealt with.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I feel the title of your post is incomplete. Need to do, to accomplish what, exactly?
Hmm. Yes I should have been clearer. Perhaps a general guide could be for them to succeed long-term (although still vague). I do remember years ago some people (not necessarily on here, but in general) had doubts over whether or not McLaren would last. While sales have been increasing, unlike other companies they have not yet dealt with a major economic downturn. Aston, for example, had a massive decrease in sales when the last recession hit.

Quote:
I bet we here can't even agree. Regardless, the archives of this forum are littered with virtual checklists and summaries of this exact question, neatly itemized for MA execs to reference.
Hmm. Yes I should have been clearer. Perhaps a general guide could be for them to succeed long-term (although still vague). I do remember years ago some people (not necessarily on here, but in general) had doubts over whether or not McLaren would last. While sales have been increasing, unlike other companies they have not yet dealt with a major economic downturn. Aston, for example, had a massive decrease in sales when the last recession hit.

Perhaps the thread is somewhat redundant.

Jas's experiences seem to align with what is being said on PH.

I think a big takeaway is that an independent shop in the UK can service McLarens.

Current
2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
post #5 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 03:57 PM
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentownage001 View Post

Jas's experiences seem to align with what is being said on PH.
New owners always seem to be convinced that 'now things are different' and are the most evangelical in waxing lyrical about the brand of car they have just bought......
post #6 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 04:22 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
I think a lot of the things in the video are right on point. The clamp issues pretty embarrassing, or at least should be embarrassing to McLaren. But the number one thing that would increase confidence in the brand is for McLaren to let more third-party service centers service the car is more economically.
carlolsen, Jeff M and rnixon like this.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 04:37 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
I couldn't disagree more.

I've had a lot of recent meetings (at events) with top McLaren execs, including Mike Flewitt. I get exactly the opposite impression. They are listening, they care, and are engaging with owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
New owners always seem to be convinced that 'now things are different' and are the most evangelical in waxing lyrical about the brand of car they have just bought......
Jas, they have always done that. As far back as 2012, Tony Joseph and Antony Sheriff went around to all dealership cities, having dinner roundtable discussions with owners, listening, listening, ...

When the same problems persist, year after, at some point you have to concede that the listening is simply lip service.

I'm not trying to live in the past. Just hanging around to see if things eventually head in a better direction. I still think the cars are great, but, for example, I find the situation with 720S windshields completely unacceptable on. On many levels.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 05:42 PM
Owner

Just two things for me:
1. Expand their reach so we can get more extensive after sales support. I don’t necessarily mean more dealers because I know this is an inherently low volume operation. But perhaps having some certified service subcontractors?

2. Do better in F1.

Other than that I think they’re doing a helluva job
post #9 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 07:02 PM
Owner

Garage
There needs to be some standards of customer care instilled in the dealers.

Independents need to have access to diagnostic tools.

Decrease the cost of parts to reflect the reality of what they are worth.

While I love the idea of the 'Pure McLaren' events and McLaren exclusive track days, the costs are absurd. If they want to involve more owners with the company events, lower the price.

That's just a start.

As far as the ownership experience goes, mine has been brilliant.

There was no way I was buying new, because of depreciation. I found the exact spec I would have ordered at McLaren Houston. They treated me like a valued customer and I was able to buy 1000 mile car and save $60K.

Reliability wise..... spot on. It's done trips, track days and the day to day. I had a soft close door issue and my local dealer took good care of me. The dealer had to update software and had issues getting the car to take it, which was a bit of a pain.

Service: Annual checks are basically an oil change (year 1) and some checks. Dealer wanted ~$2K. That is insane. I own a shop and we did the service. Parts were less than $100. We are currently working on getting a Mac dx tool. After that, we are good to go.

So far, the ownership experience has been great. I love the car. The performance is better than anything else out there. The looks are proper exotic, and the car just makes everyone smile...... especially me!
Attached Images

Dino

Ferrari F40, Challenge Stradale, TR, 348, Mondial, 308
March/Cosworth 88C
McLaren 570 S 'Track Pack'

Last edited by Ingenere; 05-26-2019 at 09:03 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 07:18 PM
Jas

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
I bought it a year ago.... but if that's what you think so be it.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Jas

Quote:
Jas, they have always done that. As far back as 2012, Tony Joseph and Antony Sheriff went around to all dealership cities, having dinner roundtable discussions with owners, listening, listening, ...

I can only hope you're wrong, and McLaren are now changing their approach. (I believe they are.)

If not, then there are other brands ready to take their mantle. And I'd be perfectly happy to drive something better.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-26-2019, 07:40 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
Decrease the cost of parts to reflect the reality of what they are worth.

While I love the idea of the 'Pure McLaren' events and McLaren exclusive track days, the costs are absurd. If they want to involve more owners with the company events, lower the price.
The ESC only allows McLaren sponsored track events. Parts prices have increased dramatically. I can only assume that McLaren has made a deliberate choice to screw owners. They simply do not appear to understand what a reputation is worth.

Let's hope that they change their approach.

It's rather irksome that they charge a fortune for known-defective parts, e.g. 12C headlights.
Jeff M likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-27-2019, 01:36 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

They need to fix their parts availability issues.
-Parts are in short supply.
-Parts are packaged wrongly (part number on box is different than part in the box)
-McLaren discontinue parts like MSO 12c front bumper, anniversary undertray, etc...
-Wait time for parts can be months

Build quality:
-water pumps are rubbish
-hose clamps are a subpar
-refusal to sell tools

XPRD
post #14 of 15 Old 05-27-2019, 11:08 AM

Executives are trained to say what people want to hear. What they do with their actions are what matters. I’ve had nothing but problems. Can’t see myself staying with the brand after this purchase.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-27-2019, 01:35 PM
InnerCircle

I do like his car.

John Thorne is a nice guy and I do like his car.
Attached Images

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

PS - nothing I say should be taken seriously but I am lucky enough to live in Woking and do get to see a lot of McLarens
Random McLaren of the day.#McLaren #RMTD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in