Green Energy/Living Taxes Government Politics Thunderdome Thread - McLaren Life
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Green Energy/Living Taxes Government Politics Thunderdome Thread

I think @6th element forked to a good topic deserving it's own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th element View Post
Other than ranting and raving behind the keyboard, anybody here actually doing anything meaningful to help climate? I don't mean that in a contentious way, I am actually interested in ideas. I'm trying - mostly failing - at reducing my household energy consumption and we don't drive many miles on an annual basis.

I've been researching carbon offsets for our personal and business air travel, but don't know too much about whether they actually help. Are they legit.

Yes this is off topic but the GT is zzzzzzz, and for some reason I keep coming back to this forum so I must hold its members is some esteem

So if we can't discuss our existential issues here, then where.
https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...ml#post1714583

So here are my quick $0.02 for what it's worth...

Solar is great if you are building new or maybe even if you are doing a big renovation including roof replacement. I'm not a big believer in offsets, philosophically. Buying someone else's good behavior to enable your bad behavior seems philosophically dubious (like giving a donation to the family after murdering their family member). But fair minded folks will disagree.

I'm doing something with home automation that I think will greatly reduce energy. Having automated windows and shades that work in concert with outside temp measurements (eg its 76 in the house, it's 70 outside, rather than turning on AC, open the windows to let the breeze in, close shades on south side of home, etc).

Also there is great 3M film for windows that will reflect and or keep heat, depending on your location in the world.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/building...utions/energy/
https://www.suncontrolplus.com/3m-wi...s-calculators/

Geothermic works great in many places in the north. Here's some propaganda:

It's used well in europe, problem is finding someone decent in north america to do the install.

Upgrading AC/appliances also does a huge bit.

There also lots of great home grow sustainable food things you can do around the house/property. This is just a recent one i found but there are many others like it:
https://www.lettucegrow.com/the-farmstand/

I think solar power with an electric car for jaunts around the city make some sense too.

I personally find the topic fascinating, and agree, I think a lot of folks here would have good thoughts. Including taxes, govt incentives, etc.
rnixon likes this.

Last edited by ZombiePhysicist; 05-21-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 06:30 PM
Owner

Eat less beef (not meaning to totally cut it off your diet but at lest not eat red meat every day) and don't waste food, which costs a lot of resources to produce even if cheap to buy

Current Cars:

2019: 720s MSO Atlantic Blue
2010: MB SLS coupe
1957: MB 300SL Roadster
1956: Porsche 356 Conv. A 1600S
+several other Audi Porsche and Mercedes cars
post #3 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 PM
Owner

Thanks gents.
ZombiePhysicist likes this.

post #4 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 07:17 PM
isv
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK1982 View Post
don't waste food, which costs a lot of resources to produce even if cheap to buy
^ this many times over would be a bloody good start for the population as a whole in developed countries to reduce the carbon count and actually overall impact. Especially as quite frankly it's a disgrace imo just how much wastage one sees everyday. Could probably extrapolate that to consumption in general as well tbh.... I'm not suggesting being a hermit or whatever as goodness knows I'm hardly a saint but I do try not to waste anything I buy.

Have to say I'm far from convinced about the overall 'green-ness' of electric cars though. I have one but it's more to exploit London parking rules than any real environmental concerns I admit. If someone was doing relatively little mileage sticking with the same car than changing up might very well be better off purely on an environmental basis as otherwise it's mainly just transferring pollution out of sight and out of mind. Where I do think the electric idea has real merit is probably the Tesla semi (short distance haul into city centres from local depots outside that can be accessed by 'usual' long haul transporters) but that's seemingly taken a back burner compared to Musk plugging rockets on his speedster it seems....
post #5 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 07:38 PM
Owner

From the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnixon View Post
Good question.

Minor stuff. I live in California, so don't need to heat much, which given a 1950s (no insulation in the walls, except where we have remodelled) house is just as well. We open windows overnight, which cools the house (except for a few nights per year), so don't have / need air conditioning. We drive older modern cars, so they are relatively clean, but not being scrapped prematurely. We have three Redwoods, and a lower water garden.

My main excess is flights back to Europe, and I don't like economy. I also ski in Tahoe once a year, which isn't that green, but at least I drive there. I also sail (offshore and in the SF Bay), which is fairly green. Otherwise, I probably only drive 7-8k miles a year. My electricity usage has crept up, as my wife works from home, but that's in a remodelled (and very well insulated) outbuilding (which I did myself). I should consider solar, although will probably wait until I know where I will retire.
I do wonder if "green" actions, e.g. solar, always are, i.e. how closely the economic payback matches the energy / pollution payback.
post #6 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
I think @6th element forked to a good topic deserving it's own thread.
Thank you - I agree.

Quote:
I'm not a big believer in offsets, philosophically. Buying someone else's good behavior to enable your bad behavior seems philosophically dubious (like giving a donation to the family after murdering their family member).
I partially agree, although it's better than nothing, IMO.

Quote:
I'm doing something with home automation that I think will greatly reduce energy. Having automated windows and shades that work in concert with outside temp measurements (eg its 76 in the house, it's 70 outside, rather than turning on AC, open the windows to let the breeze in, close shades on south side of home, etc).
Sounds good.

Quote:
Geothermic works great in many places in the north. Here's some propaganda:

It's used well in europe, problem is finding someone decent in north america to do the install.
There's also heat pumps, that are quite efficient.

EDIT: They are talking about heat pumps, not Geothermal, IMO. My understanding is that Geothermal is using underground heat sources to heat your home, not a constant(-ish) temperature thermal mass to act as a heat source or sink.

Quote:
Upgrading AC/appliances also does a huge bit.
This is another one where I wonder about the trade-off between manufacturing a new instance, verses using a current one for its natural life. It applies to cars too. I'm too lazy / busy to do the research though.

Thanks again for the thread,

Roger

Last edited by rnixon; 05-21-2019 at 07:47 PM.
post #7 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnixon View Post
Thank you - I agree.

I partially agree, although it's better than nothing, IMO.

Sounds good.

There's also heat pumps, that are quite efficient.

EDIT: They are talking about heat pumps, not Geothermal, IMO. My understanding is that Geothermal is using underground heat sources to heat your home, not a constant(-ish) temperature thermal mass to act as a heat source or sink.

This is another one where I wonder about the trade-off between manufacturing a new instance, verses using a current one for its natural life. It applies to cars too. I'm too lazy / busy to do the research though.

Thanks again for the thread,

Roger
I sold my old appliances at decent discounts, and donated some others, so they got good use. Also, I think there are some decent recycling centers for appliances. But a bunch of my appliances are the equivalent of hand-me-down iphones. Still high end and useful to others, so their useful life is used, and I basically pay the brunt of depreciation for upgrading everyone around me.
post #8 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
^ this many times over would be a bloody good start for the population as a whole in developed countries to reduce the carbon count and actually overall impact. Especially as quite frankly it's a disgrace imo just how much wastage one sees everyday. Could probably extrapolate that to consumption in general as well tbh.... I'm not suggesting being a hermit or whatever as goodness knows I'm hardly a saint but I do try not to waste anything I buy.

Have to say I'm far from convinced about the overall 'green-ness' of electric cars though. I have one but it's more to exploit London parking rules than any real environmental concerns I admit. If someone was doing relatively little mileage sticking with the same car than changing up might very well be better off purely on an environmental basis as otherwise it's mainly just transferring pollution out of sight and out of mind. Where I do think the electric idea has real merit is probably the Tesla semi (short distance haul into city centres from local depots outside that can be accessed by 'usual' long haul transporters) but that's seemingly taken a back burner compared to Musk plugging rockets on his speedster it seems....
I agree that electric cars have dubious green'ness. As noted in prior thread, the rare earth minerals/materials for batteries are just another form of "fossil" fuel mining. That said, I think when you couple electric cars with nuclear/solar energy, they probably are a net positive. So if you put solar on your home, having an electric car charged by the sun, is likely a net win.
post #9 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 10:09 PM
InnerCircle

I have no idea why Americans want to drive around in large cars? Is it to compensate for small penises? I really have no idea.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

PS - nothing I say should be taken seriously but I am lucky enough to live in Woking and do get to see a lot of McLarens
Random McLaren of the day.#McLaren #RMTD
post #10 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 10:15 PM

Garage
I don't want to get off topic on a thread again after that GT thread hijack, but does anyone know how to mash tofu into a creamy consistency?
post #11 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have no idea why Americans want to drive around in large cars? Is it to compensate for small penises? I really have no idea.
I think it's just in case we have to carry more british water for every time we have to bail you guys out.
Neil and A West like this.
post #12 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_p View Post
I don't want to get off topic on a thread again after that GT thread hijack, but does anyone know how to mash tofu into a creamy consistency?
Almost nothing here is off-topic. I think soylant green is the solution youre looking for.
smokeygt likes this.

Last edited by ZombiePhysicist; 05-21-2019 at 10:34 PM.
post #13 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 11:03 PM
InnerCircle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK1982 View Post
Eat less beef
You have to be kidding.

Not going to happen. My burger was only 400g this evening and I very really eat much more than that. Are you suggesting I should starve?

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

PS - nothing I say should be taken seriously but I am lucky enough to live in Woking and do get to see a lot of McLarens
post #14 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You have to be kidding.

Not going to happen. My burger was only 400g this evening and I very really eat much more than that. Are you suggesting I should starve?

From our friends down under...
francis_p and PieGuy like this.
post #15 of 58 Old 05-21-2019, 11:36 PM
InnerCircle

Quote:

From our friends down under...
Iím on holiday and for breakfast I have a small white baguette with marmite and cheese spread. So maybe food doesnít always have to contain meat. Who would have guessed it?
ZombiePhysicist and PieGuy like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in