Why don't McLarens sound like this? - McLaren Life
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By kovalser
  • 1 Post By mikey k

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Why don't McLarens sound like this?

Great sound from this Aston Martin. Mercedes AMG GTSs also sound great compared to McLarens. Why is it that these other twin turbo cars sound so good but McLaren can't or won't replicate it despite all being about 4.0 liter twin turbos?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 02:04 AM
Owner

Diff length headers and front vs mid engine as well
post #3 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 06:41 AM
Owner

Garage
It's primarily related to engine design, flat plane crank versus cross plane crank, and resulting differences in firing order.

Flat plane crank with even exhaust pulses sounds like a vacuum cleaner at low rpm and lacks secondary balance, but it revs high and fast and favors high power over low end torque. These engines are in McLaren, Ferrari, Ford Shelby GT350, Porsche 918 Spyder, and also the new Koenigsegg Jesko.

Cross plane crank with uneven exhaust pulses has a more aggressive, deeper burbling exhaust at low rpm and much better secondary balance, but revs slower with a lower redline and favors low end torque over maximum power. These engines are in pretty much all other V8 cars, including Mercedes and Aston Martin.
Jas and EMF Audio like this.

2018 McLaren 720S
2015 Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe
2017 Maserati Levante
2018 Lexus NX300
2006 Hummer H1 Alpha

IG: eric.kovalsky

post #4 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Spyder View Post
Great sound from this Aston Martin. Mercedes AMG GTSs also sound great compared to McLarens. Why is it that these other twin turbo cars sound so good but McLaren can't or won't replicate it despite all being about 4.0 liter twin turbos?
Sorry, but I wouldn't be seen dead in a car with such a crass rear wing and body-kit. To have done that to the tailored suit that is an Aston Martin, is criminal. They've taken a beautiful car and ruined it.

Personally, I care more about acceleration than engine sound.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalser View Post
It's primarily related to engine design, flat plane crank versus cross plane crank, and resulting differences in firing order.

Flat plane crank with even exhaust pulses sounds like a vacuum cleaner at low rpm and lacks secondary balance, but it revs high and fast and favors high power over low end torque. These engines are in McLaren, Ferrari, Ford Shelby GT350, Porsche 918 Spyder, and also the new Koenigsegg Jesko.

Cross plane crank with uneven exhaust pulses has a more aggressive, deeper burbling exhaust at low rpm and much better secondary balance, but revs slower with a lower redline and favors low end torque over maximum power. These engines are in pretty much all other V8 cars, including Mercedes and Aston Martin.
Thanks for the great explanation! Do you believe McLaren has tried to maximize exhaust sound the way Ferrari tried when they put turbos on the 488? I haven't heard them side by side but have the impression Ferrari has the better sound
post #6 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 11:10 AM
Spec 570 Spider soon

Quote:

If any of you are/were off-road motorcyclists, it's the same powerband and acceleration characteristics comparing enduro bikes (4-cycle engines, low end torque) to motocross bikes (2-cycle engines, high end torque). I was the lone motocross rider in a group of enduro friends, and they'd dig out of wet, sloppy corners much faster than I could, but once I could build revs on a straight, I'd come from behind and fly by them...

Both have their place, both a good deal of fun, but they're just different animals. And that's ok...

An adage from the misspent youth of my skydiving days: "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast..."
post #7 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 11:15 AM
Spec 570 Spider soon

Quote:

If any of you are/were off-road motorcyclists, it's the same powerband and acceleration characteristics comparing enduro bikes (4-cycle engines, low end torque) to motocross bikes (2-cycle engines, high end torque). Back in the day, I was the lone motocross racer in a group of enduro trailrider friends, and when I'd go out with them, they'd dig out of wet, sloppy corners much faster than I could, but once I could build revs on a straight, I'd come from behind and fly by them...

Both have their place, both a good deal of fun, but they're just different animals. And that's ok...

An adage from the misspent youth of my skydiving days: "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast..."
post #8 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 04:53 PM
Owner

Garage
I think the car in the video is a road going version of their race spec car.

Dino

Ferrari F40, Challenge Stradale, TR, 348, Mondial, 308
March/Cosworth 88C
McLaren 570 S 'Track Pack'
post #9 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Recent Convert
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
I think the car in the video is a road going version of their race spec car.
No its an AMR V8
Road spec car tarted up as a track car.
All noise, no turbos hence the noise
I had an S version and it did sound great
Sound is on of the few things Aston do well
Handling is not - unlike McLaren
I'd never go back to Aston after two McLarens
Easy enough to change the cats and pipes on any McLaren for more noise
Bob_D likes this.

VR 650S Spider gone but not forgotten after 19k miles
Bloody great bit of kit!
Looking forward to many miles in the 675LTS
post #10 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Jas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey k View Post
No its an AMR V8

Handling is not - unlike McLaren

Agreed, but Aston Martin now have Matt Becker... so the handling will improve.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

"Easy enough to change the cats and pipes on any McLaren for more noise" More noise yes. But not the beautiful raspy growl and gurgles you get from other engines. I assume Kolvaser is right that the difference is the flat plane crank.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-11-2019, 11:17 PM

Flat plane crank, and properly pulsed exhaust through turbos very short equal length exhaust pipes as well. all that will lead to the sound of efficiency!
post #13 of 14 Old 05-12-2019, 01:05 AM

My 720s coupe with exhaust and downpipes sounds sick. It doesn't sound like a Performante but more F1-especially at high RPM's.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Recent Convert
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Agreed, but Aston Martin now have Matt Becker... so the handling will improve.
true but they are a long way off carbon tubs decent suspension

VR 650S Spider gone but not forgotten after 19k miles
Bloody great bit of kit!
Looking forward to many miles in the 675LTS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in