McLaren Extended Service Contract Scandal - McLaren Life
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By rnixon
  • 2 Post By Capsfan

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

McLaren Extended Service Contract Scandal

The ESC policy (North America) says that "No coverage shall apply and no Claim will be considered .. Unless the McLaren vehicles (sic) service history is up to date". McLaren NA ([email protected]) told me:
Quote:
We have not had any recent changes to our ESC policy although we have been clarifying some confusion with our retailers recently which may be what you’re experiencing. The policy regarding services has always been that the vehicle must have an unbroken history however some retailers incorrectly believed simply bringing the vehicle up to date is enough. As completing proper services on time is extremely important to the longevity of the vehicle we have been reminding our retailer group that this is mandatory for ESC qualification.
As a buyer, this severely limits the cars that I can consider, as most that I see, including at McLaren dealers, have broken service histories. I suspect that there are a lot of cars with existing ESCs that are actually ineligible. I will be asking McLaren about this, and what this will do to secondhand values.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

McLaren have confirmed that they will honour existing ESCs, but not issue new ones without an unbroken service history.

However, they have also confirmed that you will NOT be able to extend an existing ESC if the service history is not unbroken. That's a big deal IMO.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-08-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Corporate have, after much "feedback", backtracked! For now, they won't require an unbroken service history to start, or extend, an ESC. Good news for buyers.
ZombiePhysicist and kpg like this.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-11-2019, 05:05 AM

How about if original warranty has expired and wants to buy ESC?
post #5 of 12 Old 05-11-2019, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwyder View Post
You will need to have owned the car for 90 days, and it to have passed a McLaren inspection. The prices for ESCs have also recently risen.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Thanks for response.
Follow up question: when warranty expires, can I go with no ESC for perhaps 2 years and then buy ESC later which btw, I think it’s more cost effective?
post #7 of 12 Old 05-11-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for response.
Follow up question: when warranty expires, can I go with no ESC for perhaps 2 years and then buy ESC later which btw, I think it’s more cost effective?
You can at present (if the car is still under 10 years old), if you repair anything that the ESC inspection finds. The terms of the ESC may change at some point though, so it's impossible to be certain.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-11-2019, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the most current info about the MESC. Mine was recentlly delivered and I should keep an eye on the unbroken service history in the future.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-17-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
You can as others have indicated you can purchase an extended warranty. One nuance to this is that you must extend the original warranty before it expires in order to get an extension in 2 year increments which gives you a slight price break over a single year extension price. I believe the single year price is $3,800 and 2 additional years is $7,000.

If you want to buy a warranty on a car that does not have a continuous service history or one where the warranty wasn’t extended durning the original 3 year warranty you are stuck with extending in single year increments up to ten years.

If you keep up the warranty your annual maintenance cost should be around $5K including the warrenty extension. Of course if you have to replace something like the brakes (rotors $20k) or battery ($5k) for normal wear and tear that can be expensive. Also don’t lose your keys, I’ll see if I can find the link to that thread. Yikes!
post #10 of 12 Old 05-18-2019, 01:25 AM

What do you figure the $5k/ yr equates to? Is that an average, over say five years, assuming the $2k annual, tires, brakes and potentially a battery? My recommendation is to pull the OEM rotors & pads if tracking the car and replace with something more reasonable.

Track insurance for the yr is $10-12k, but there is a $30-50k deductible 😞

Thanks for the info,
post #11 of 12 Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3THE01 View Post
What do you figure the $5k/ yr equates to? Is that an average, over say five years, assuming the $2k annual, tires, brakes and potentially a battery? My recommendation is to pull the OEM rotors & pads if tracking the car and replace with something more reasonable.

Track insurance for the yr is $10-12k, but there is a $30-50k deductible 😞

Thanks for the info,
I didn’t factor in track insurance. I was really thinking more about years 4 and 5 with the extended warranty and cost without tracking the car. And you are completely right about the rotors and pads, several people that I talked to said they do swap those out for track days or know people who do.
post #12 of 12 Old Today, 01:20 AM

McLaren needs to get their shit together if they want the brand to flourish. Creating obstacles for an already overpriced service will not help the resale market and further push values down. It seems they make hasty decisions without thinking through the big picture.
Jeff M and rnixon like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in