570S vs 458 vs AMG GT R - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 43 Old 01-15-2019, 05:26 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: AVL
Posts: 50
I wish I knew about exotics racing before I booked with Royalty Exotics in Vegas. It would be really nice to see how they handle on the track. I'm headed to Vegas next week and have rented a 570 Spyder, 720S, and 488 Spyder over a few days to see what I think. Not really considering the Ferrari to purchase, but seriously considering the 570S.

I was down in Charlotte this last weekend and realized that they have a McLaren dealership there now. It's owned by the owner of Metrolina Auto Group. I just drove up to check it out. It's a very small building and had one sales guy moving cars around. After a short conversation he let my wife and I take out a 570S spyder and a 720S!

Everything you read about comparing these two cars is pretty spot on. I'm 6'4" 240 lbs. and the 570S was roomy enough, but the 720 had even more space and much more visibility through the windshield. I drove both in sport mode and the 570S definitely has a firmer suspension compared to the 720S. The 720 steering wasn't as firm but still very responsive. The 720 handled crappy road and downtown streets most comfortably. I couldn't compare high speed cornering with any extensive detailed comparison on a test drive, although he said he didn't have anything else to do that day so he let me wife and I take it out for about 45 min!

All I can say is that if you are considering a 570S, DO NOT drive a 720S because you will not stop trying to rationalize how to come up with or spend an extra $100K. Can't wait drive them both with an extended test out out in the desert next week. Sorry this post didn't really answer or address anything relative to this thread.
xxlnevermiss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 43 Old 01-15-2019, 10:07 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,799
Where did you rent the 570 spider from in vegas??

Royalty treated me good the 3 times i have rented from them
dvandentop is offline  
post #18 of 43 Old 01-16-2019, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 41
When I went to Vegas last time, I drove 4 cars at Exotics Racing. The R8 was my favorite over the Nissan GTR, Corvette Z06, and Ferrari 430. Then I did a 100-mile rental of an R8 to see how it drove on various roads. After that, I was sold. It was around $1700 total, but that was money well spent. Much cheaper than buying the wrong car and dumping it after a few months.

When I started out, I was leaning towards the 430. The R8 was just a better all around car for the same price, and a manual didn't cost a premium. This time, I'm expecting to prefer the 570S over the 458. The AMG GTR is a completely different car, so that's going to be interesting.
BillionaireDoors is offline  
 
post #19 of 43 Old 01-16-2019, 12:49 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: AVL
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvandentop View Post
Where did you rent the 570 spider from in vegas??

Royalty treated me good the 3 times i have rented from them
I'm actually going next week and they have been great to deal with over the phone. I just wish I would have know about the option to take these cars in the track in LV and see how they handle at speed in the appropriate environment.
xxlnevermiss is offline  
post #20 of 43 Old 01-16-2019, 12:56 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlnevermiss View Post
I'm actually going next week and they have been great to deal with over the phone. I just wish I would have know about the option to take these cars in the track in LV and see how they handle at speed in the appropriate environment.
Who had the 570s spider i would like to rent my car out wesr next time i go out there


I have rented 570 coupe 720 and 488 spider from the.

Take it up to mt charleston or valley of fire and can stretch their legs
dvandentop is offline  
post #21 of 43 Old 01-16-2019, 04:17 AM
Owner
 
Ingenere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Desert SW
Posts: 206
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gum12345 View Post
Which insurance carrier? What's the deductible you have?
State Farm. $2K

Dino

Ferrari F40, Challenge Stradale, TR, 348, Mondial, 308
March/Cosworth 88C
McLaren 570 S 'Track Pack'
Ingenere is offline  
post #22 of 43 Old 01-16-2019, 12:03 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: AVL
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvandentop View Post
Who had the 570s spider i would like to rent my car out wesr next time i go out there


I have rented 570 coupe 720 and 488 spider from the.

Take it up to mt charleston or valley of fire and can stretch their legs
Thanks for the route suggestion. Royal Exotics now has a 570S Spyder
xxlnevermiss is offline  
post #23 of 43 Old 01-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlnevermiss View Post
Thanks for the route suggestion. Royal Exotics now has a 570S Spyder
Okay cool thanks I just didn't see it listed on their website and I didn't see the 720 is listed on their site anymore.
dvandentop is offline  
post #24 of 43 Old 01-16-2019, 02:08 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gum12345 View Post
Which insurance carrier? What's the deductible you have?
I have my 2018 570S Spider insured with American Modern Insurance; agreed value, zero deductible, $ 1mm bodily injury, 3000 mi./yr. cap. Annual premium: $ 1700.00

Last edited by GenevaGT; 01-16-2019 at 02:10 PM.
GenevaGT is offline  
post #25 of 43 Old 01-17-2019, 10:15 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: AVL
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvandentop View Post
Okay cool thanks I just didn't see it listed on their website and I didn't see the 720 is listed on their site anymore.
I called them a couple weeks ago and they told me they had some electronic problems with both of their 720S cars and they were at a McLaren dealership to be fixed. If they don't have one back by next week, I'll have to take out a 488 Spyder.
xxlnevermiss is offline  
post #26 of 43 Old 02-14-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 41
I stopped at a Porsche dealer and looked at a 2016 911 GT3 RS. Great looking car, but not sure it's worth the price. Had a really loud Graham Rahal exhaust.

On the other hand, this looks like an amazing deal. This car was over $120k new. I'm going to try to test drive one just for the heck of it. P90D Ludicrous actually does 0-60 in 2.65s.

https://www.tesla.com/used/5YJSA1E43GF128252
BillionaireDoors is offline  
post #27 of 43 Old 02-17-2019, 04:35 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 173
They are all expensive to repair. Just remembered I had to pay $3600 for one single shock on my R8 once, a couple of years ago.

Originally Audi said $600 for part, $600 for labour..sweet. Then rang me the next day saying the guy had ordered the Q7 shock by mistake. The R8 one was 5 X the price. Not so sweet.

Also , a single little engine pulley wheel for the AMG made out of plastic and aluminium with very simple installation was $1980.

Ahh, this stuff does my head in. Outrageous overcharging
Bogan69 is offline  
post #28 of 43 Old 02-17-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogan69 View Post
They are all expensive to repair. Just remembered I had to pay $3600 for one single shock on my R8 once, a couple of years ago.

Originally Audi said $600 for part, $600 for labour..sweet. Then rang me the next day saying the guy had ordered the Q7 shock by mistake. The R8 one was 5 X the price. Not so sweet.

Also , a single little engine pulley wheel for the AMG made out of plastic and aluminium with very simple installation was $1980.

Ahh, this stuff does my head in. Outrageous overcharging
You got robbed on that R8 shock. There are less expensive ways to fix them. I paid a dealer $700 for a battery though.
BillionaireDoors is offline  
post #29 of 43 Old 03-03-2019, 01:17 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillionaireDoors View Post
I stopped at a Porsche dealer and looked at a 2016 911 GT3 RS. Great looking car, but not sure it's worth the price. Had a really loud Graham Rahal exhaust.

On the other hand, this looks like an amazing deal. This car was over $120k new. I'm going to try to test drive one just for the heck of it. P90D Ludicrous actually does 0-60 in 2.65s.

https://www.tesla.com/used/5YJSA1E43GF128252
Ugliest and most boring car on the planet. Essentially a golf cart with an iPad in it.
Capsfan is offline  
post #30 of 43 Old 03-03-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfan View Post
Ugliest and most boring car on the planet. Essentially a golf cart with an iPad in it.
I can't wait to hear the haters when the Roadster embarrasses every gasoline car made. "Yeah, it runs 8's but it's boring."
BillionaireDoors is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome