What got you interested in McLaren's? - McLaren Life
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 128 Old 02-04-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

What got you interested in McLaren's?

In my case, it was very simple, seeing Nick Mason's F1 for the 1st time. Brilliant packaging on a brilliantly designed car. Everything about it was completely thought through. Interest was cemented after my first trip to the MTC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Owner

I was completing a formula racing course at Bondurant in Arizona and wandered over to the Penske Racing Museum. On the TV monitors they were playing the full length film CAN-AM: A Speed Odyssey. I stood there and watched the entire movie twice, back to back, and that was it for me.

post #3 of 128 Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Owner

Well, I'd had it with 911's (brilliant cars for what they are) simply because I wanted a change.

Started to look at options.

Wanted a car for driving not cruising. Met a F1 owner, a complete petrol head, who had done 20,000 miles and just talked about how it was to drive. Got my attention.

Trusted that Mclaren would deliver.........

roundincircles

Started with Scalextric

720S Azores

Smart 4/2 , BMW 5 Touring X, 18 BMW GS 1200.

12C Coupe , Spider and 650S Spider Now History but not forgotten.

Various 911's from 1991, TVR, Beetle 1600S, Morris Minor. Renault 4. Triang 3 Wheeler.

post #4 of 128 Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Owner

Ever since I was a kid I've been entrenched and enticed by beautiful cars and women for that matter. The neighborhood that I lived in as a kid growing up had a multitude of rare and exclusive type cars. So yes I've been influenced by the lifestyles at home and abroad which has had a positive impact on me and my love of cars. Cheers....🍻🍻
post #5 of 128 Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Owner

I new RIC was getting one
post #6 of 128 Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 PM
MPB

My dad took me to the 1983 Grand Prix of Detroit when I was a 9 year old kid. I remember a photo of the MP4/1' naked carbon chassis in the race program. It looked light years ahead of everything else. At that age, I wasn't sure what I was looking at but I knew I liked it. Also loved the clean lines of the MP4/1. It was all about the 'looks' of the car. That was it, I was a McLaren fan for life.
post #7 of 128 Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 PM
isv
Owner

Seeing the F1 at the park lane showroom many years ago. Had of course seen pictures in various magazines previously but nothing quite like seeing the car in person as I don't think one really gets a sense of just how well the car is engineered/packaged without seeing it up close.
post #8 of 128 Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 PM

Never heard of McLaren until the F1 was proposed and was all over the mags......was LOVE at first sight and have been hooked since......more of a Porsche guy growing up. Still luv porsches but McLaren.......Nuff said ;0)

Last edited by widowmaker911; 02-04-2013 at 08:48 PM.
post #9 of 128 Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Owner

Garage
Done the Porsche thing and wanted a change, wanted a precision machine to drive and something different from the norm...
Quite enjoyed buying British too

Azure Blue MP4-12C
Previously 997 Turbo
post #10 of 128 Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 AM

Stayed up with my old man in 1995 watching/listening to the 24 Hours of Le Mans, seeing that black/graphite #59 covered in filth from twice around the clock racing with the door up coming over the line, yeah that pretty much sealed it for me!
post #11 of 128 Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 AM

Bit of a story to this but its what happened,
I got a magazine for my birthday when I was in grade 1 it had the mclaren f1 on the cover and a nice write up about it( still had the mirrors high up on the doors). Loved that magazine, i read it a million times until the pages got ripped,That was the start, Part two came in the form a trip to the motorshow, which dad and i do every year its in melbourne, there was only one car i wanted to see, i knew it was going to be there as id seen it in the newspaper, there it was in the bmw stand, a real live mclaren f1. i remember standing there for hours, trying to soak it up from every angle, the harder i looked the more details i found to explore. i stood there until security asked us to leave as the show was closing. i asked the lady at the stand if she had any literature i could have to post on my bedroom wall, to which she replied "sorry we dont have any left for today" devastated i had one last look and stretched my neck till we rounded the corner and it was out of sight. i wouldnt see another car i liked so much until we got Grand Prix tickets in 97, I flicked through the program and saw the Mclaren in the papaya orange prototype colours with Dc and mika, as the drivers. At The track I stood glued to the fence waiting for the orange cars to come around, I felt bad for liking these awesome looking black, white, silver and neon red cars flying past, saying "they sound the best" to my dad and grandfather. It wasn't until a lull in the practice session that I looked up to the screen to see where the Mclarens were, and I realised the cars I secretly was drooling over we're in fact the Mclarens I came to see!
Meant to be. Lol
post #12 of 128 Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 PM

I've been a McLaren fan ever since, during one vacation in Hong Kong, my Dad bought me an issue of Road & Track Magazine that had a cover shot and feature test of 3 of the great supercars of the 20th Century - the Ferrari F40, the Porsche 959, and most significantly, a McLaren F1. Though I can't recall its' chassis # right now, it was painted in what is now called Volcano Orange - and I'd never seen anything quite like it. I was only 14, the age when most boys are still going oooh and aaah over NOS and Lambo doors and 800Bhp Skyline GT-Rs, so it warped my mind a bit when I first read the F1's performance and technical specs, and words like 'immediate throttle response' and 'synapse-quick handling reactions'. The central driving position seemed so out-of-this-world yet just right at the same time.

That was how my love for McLaren cars was kindled, and it only grew through further experiences. I later discovered a car encyclopedia in my school library that listed all the F1 variants in it, and that was how I discovered the F1 GTR, F1 LM, and the Longtails, and what made each one so special and unique even in the rarefied world of supercars.

It's been a whirlwind ride ever since. Getting my copy of Driving Ambition, and discovering all the stories behind the F1's gestation and #01R's win at the 1995 24 Hours of Le Mans. Studying and researching them all over the Internet, happily drinking in details like the changes made to F1s like #014 and #018 and #040 and #073, what the various LMs and road-converted GTRs went through and the lives they led and still lead, the record-breaking sale of #065. Starting to collect F1 models and memorabilia..

And that has brought me here today, to the 12C and P1.

It is, as they say, a very exciting and thrilling time to be a McLaren fanatic and enthusiast.

ADW

“To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.” - Bruce McLaren
post #13 of 128 Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 PM

Mp4/4
post #14 of 128 Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Reed View Post
Mp4/4
Amen!
post #15 of 128 Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 AM
Owner

I drove a 12C with the new upgrades!

2015 458 Speciale' Nero
2013 458 Rosso Scuderia
2012 MP4-12C McLaren Orange
2010 LP670-4 SV Blue Fontus
2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo
2009 Ferrari 16M Yellow
2009 Ferrari Scuderia Yellow, BBS FI wheels
2008 Mercedes CLK 63 Cab. Silver
2002 996 GT2 Silver
1994 RX-7 R2 Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in