What got you interested in McLaren's? - Page 3 - McLaren Life
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 128 Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy c View Post
I like your prose John,even though I don't quite understand it,but the passion is there like the rest of us.I think you have to have a different mind set to own a McLaren compared to your average supercar owner ,now everyone can tell me what that might be !!!
Thanks Andy, I'd like to say it's the beer and fireworks getting to me. Happy 4th to all the yanks, and warm wave to our friends abroad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 128 Old 08-04-2013, 02:36 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by isv View Post
Seeing the F1 at the park lane showroom many years ago. Had of course seen pictures in various magazines previously but nothing quite like seeing the car in person as I don't think one really gets a sense of just how well the car is engineered/packaged without seeing it up close.
Me too! I was visiting the UK at the time and stopped in. I think I visited that showroom some several times over a few years just to gawk at it's beauty many times. What an amazing machine! One day I'd love to own one but it seems highly unlikely given how few there are remaining and how incredibly valuable they are now. That ship has likely sailed for me but the P1 is attainable and I hope it turns out to be even half as much of a classic for its time as the F1 is today.

Beyond the heritage and obvious engineering prowess, there are few things driving my current interest in the brand:

- Hearing that they upgraded MP4-12C cars as improvements were introduced - can you imagine Ferrari offering to do that?

- Seeing what a great car the MP4-12C is considering it is only their 3rd significantly produced road car and maybe really only their second considering the SLR was more Mercedes than McLaren.

- Getting to meet some of the truly nice, passionate, people that work for the company.

- Seeing the P1 in person and learning about its design and specifications.

- The fact that they're a British company. I have a special place in my heart for the UK and their people.

- Cheering from the sidelines toward them becoming a true alternative to Ferrari in design, passion, engineering, luxury, exclusivity and sales/financial success.

Last edited by MarkNC; 08-17-2013 at 11:40 PM.
post #33 of 128 Old 08-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Professional Bum
Owner

McLaren has always had my interest. One of the few F1 teams/builders with time and performance under their belt. So that meant to me a car that would work if I bought one, not a science project someone built a handful of to call it a production car for class racing rules (several come to mind guilty of this, ahem GT40 Mk3). I also did not want an ultra rare car I could not maintain reasonably easily (not have to ship across the continent for an oil change) or be fearful to drive because it's irreplaceable. I've owned enough rare, race oriented, performance figure kings to know that I don't want a race car or a car that can out run a bullet. Those cars are fun for 20 minutes at a time and usually only good when measuring your length at the car shows. I wanted a super/hyper car that was the king of the hill but wouldn't kill me when my skills fall short of Hamilton or the road surface/condition changes, etc. a car I could carry a couple weekend bags and take my wife on a get away in. I think the racing heritage, F1 technology, etc. are huge. Also it was important to me to get a car built in the MTC, I think maybe some extra F1 magic dust might have settled on it. I also am a good enough driver to know I'm not a professional driver and that I operate a manual gearbox like a caveman, I make stupid mistakes on the track and the street, I don't pay 120% attention to street driving 100% of the time. The 12c was the only one left after filtering thru my list & experiences of how I use a car like this. Throw the exclusiveness, looks and other ego satisfying bits into the equation and the 12c is simply the only choice.

2012 12c

post #34 of 128 Old 08-13-2013, 07:16 PM

My Uncle, Les Richter,* owned and operated Riverside International Raceway. When I was 5 (1969), my dad started including me in his weekend trips to the track, where we had unlimited access (and would go up through about 1974, when I was 10). While I was too young to really "get" what was going on, I did know that "the orange car won again," "the orange car always wins," and "The Bruce & Denny Show." As a five year old - being the winner started it all with me. I recall once particular time someone in the pitts suggesting loudly that we just "give Bruce the trophies, have a raffle for 3rd, and hold a picnic instead."

But frankly - I consider CanAm to be the ultimate racing series of all time. And that McLaren *owned* it would be enough by itself. But...

By the time I was 10, I DID *get it* and McLaren has been the holy grail for me ever since. And I think it's well justified - Indianapolis, then MP4-4, then the F1... the LeMans; I am quite literally a "car guy" because of McLaren (though the actual "snap" moment was when a GT-40 burbled past my dad and I as we were walking down pit lane...).

My signature line says it all, actually.

*Les Richter was a "family" uncles (not related by blood); my grandparents and parents were very close friends with their extended family (always around on holidays and special occasions - I even remember going to church with them a lot). I always called him "Uncle Moose."

Because McLaren.
post #35 of 128 Old 08-18-2013, 04:24 PM

Hey my name s Stephen some of you may know me from other post. I'm interested in mclaren because we store a 12c for a customer in the garage I help in. I follow the F1 a lot and support mclaren and I am a mclaren member. But really the interest for me is the way the cars are made and built and how elegant they are. Anyway thought I would give an opinion.

Stephen
post #36 of 128 Old 09-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Owner

Their F1 heritage, and I needed a replacement for my Super Trofeo. When I raced my Lambo against the 12C at Monticello, I could not keep up, let alone close the gap. I knew, right then and there, that I had to have a McLaren.
Attached Images

post #37 of 128 Old 09-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Owner

Nice car Brad,welcome to the forum !!

The (675) "Beast"
post #38 of 128 Old 09-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Owner

Great shots and welcome aboard Brad!
post #39 of 128 Old 09-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Owner
Owner

Splendid colours brad. Well done and welcome. ,!
post #40 of 128 Old 09-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Owner

Thank you for the wrm welcome everyone. I hope to meet up with you guys soon. In the meantime, I will be at an event Sunday in Jersey if any of you are attending. Here is the info:
Driven By Purpose

Upper Saddle River, NJ
Our biggest event of the year! This year we are planning for 300 of the most exotic cars! Beautiful cars, music and great food are just some of what you can expect on this spectacular Sunday morning. High end dealers will be on hand to show off the latest and greatest they have to offer. Gift bags will be given to the first 200 drivers to arrive. Trophies will be awarded for the best cars. Overall its an event you do not want to miss!

For more information or to have your car considered for the event e-mail [email protected] - Only approved cars will be admitted to this great event. You will not be permitted into the event with your car if you are not on the guest list!

The types of cars we are looking for include Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, McLaren, Ford GT, Lotus, Porsche, Bugatti, Aston Martin, Audi R8 and more!
post #41 of 128 Old 09-21-2013, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Their F1 heritage, and I needed a replacement for my Super Trofeo. When I raced my Lambo against the 12C at Monticello, I could not keep up, let alone close the gap. I knew, right then and there, that I had to have a McLaren.
Very nice story and I think a lot of us have had that "the gap is not closing, time to change" moment.
post #42 of 128 Old 10-10-2013, 01:53 PM

Sorry for reviving an old thread, been a long time lurker, so this is the first time I've posted here.

I remember first seeing the Mclaren F1 GTR in Gran Turismo 4, and did some net surfing-From there I fell in love with the F1 LM, still my favorite car up to this day (Still a young lad right now). My passion for Mclaren intensified as I started reading about the early development stages of the MP4-12C (CAR Magazine UK Issue #542, October 2007). The 12C turned out to be even better than I had imagined, and same goes with the P1 (second favorite car just behind the F1 LM), hence my username. Mclaren is still my favorite automotive manufacturer; was a Mclaren fan, always will be.
post #43 of 128 Old 10-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Mark Antar Design
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MclarenP1 View Post
Sorry for reviving an old thread, been a long time lurker, so this is the first time I've posted here.

I remember first seeing the Mclaren F1 GTR in Gran Turismo 4, and did some net surfing-From there I fell in love with the F1 LM, still my favorite car up to this day (Still a young lad right now). My passion for Mclaren intensified as I started reading about the early development stages of the MP4-12C (CAR Magazine UK Issue #542, October 2007). The 12C turned out to be even better than I had imagined, and same goes with the P1 (second favorite car just behind the F1 LM), hence my username. Mclaren is still my favorite automotive manufacturer; was a Mclaren fan, always will be.
Welcome aboard, Joseph!

For renderings, contact me at: [email protected]
post #44 of 128 Old 10-10-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark ANTAR View Post
Welcome aboard, Joseph!
Thanks, Mark!!
post #45 of 128 Old 10-10-2013, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MclarenP1 View Post
Thanks, Mark!!
+1 Welcome and great that you have revived one of my favorite threads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in