What got you interested in McLaren's? - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 128 Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markjayw View Post
I drove a 12C with the new upgrades!
Come on Marky mark and the funky bunch, there had to be more to it then that. Although I'm really happy to here that you are totally infatuated by the cars upgrades though. Cheers...🍻🍻
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 128 Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 AM
Owner

Being older than most of you, while in college I went to the USRRC (pre CanAm) race at Mid Ohio in Aug. 1968 and saw Mark Donohue win in a McLaren M6A Chevrolet. Then I moved to California and saw Denny Hulme win the CanAm race at Laguna Seca in the M8D in 1970.

Fast forward to 2010. Once I started reading about the forthcoming MP4, I got fascinated by the concept of bringing F1 tech to a road car. The more I read, the more I wanted one. I kept bugging the newly minted dealer about taking a deposit from me. When I finally got a chance for a road test, I knew I had to have one. 1 year and 7500 miles later, I couldn't be happier.

Current: MP4-12C, Tesla Model S P85D
post #18 of 128 Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Being older than most of you, while in college I went to the USRRC (pre CanAm) race at Mid Ohio in Aug. 1968 and saw Mark Donohue win in a McLaren M6A Chevrolet. Then I moved to California and saw Denny Hulme win the CanAm race at Laguna Seca in the M8D in 1970.

Fast forward to 2010. Once I started reading about the forthcoming MP4, I got fascinated by the concept of bringing F1 tech to a road car. The more I read, the more I wanted one. I kept bugging the newly minted dealer about taking a deposit from me. When I finally got a chance for a road test, I knew I had to have one. 1 year and 7500 miles later, I couldn't be happier.
Hey Dennis, age is a state of mind so the fact that your driving a Mac and enjoying it, that's a clear sign of a youngster at heart and in mind. Truly happy to hear that your enjoying your beautiful car, two thumbs up👍👍. Cheers.....🍻🍻

post #19 of 128 Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Owner

Hunt, Lauda, Prost, SENNA Mika and of course Lewis. But seriously, the F1 has always been my dream car, and this to me is as close as it gets.
post #20 of 128 Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 AM

I have been a ridicoulus fanatic since i drove the F1 in the game Need for Speed II.
Sadly, i'm not as fluent in McLaren-knowledge as some people on this forum.

yet
post #21 of 128 Old 03-31-2013, 12:53 AM
Owner

I would have thought there would have been a mention of Bruce McLaren. One of the last who could design, engineer and drive at the highest levels and of course the marque's namesake.

And of course Gordon Murray's F1

While I like the F1 program it has precious little relevance to road cars and sports racing cars and I don't like to think how many thousands of dollars per unit could be involved if road car sales have to pay for much of the F1 budget.
post #22 of 128 Old 03-31-2013, 02:04 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kverges View Post
I would have thought there would have been a mention of Bruce McLaren. One of the last who could design, engineer and drive at the highest levels and of course the marque's namesake.

And of course Gordon Murray's F1

While I like the F1 program it has precious little relevance to road cars and sports racing cars and I don't like to think how many thousands of dollars per unit could be involved if road car sales have to pay for much of the F1 budget.
My reply had everything to do with Bruce, KV! He and Denny built a dynasty in CAN/AM.
post #23 of 128 Old 06-10-2013, 11:16 AM
MclarenF1P1LM-a-holic

The 1995 Le Mans win started it, then seeing them race at Donington 2 years later and having access to the pits to see the detailing made me besotted. It kind of snowballed from there.....

Greg Hurst
post #24 of 128 Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Mark Antar Design
Owner

The F1 road car from NFSII ( :what: ), Formula One, Ayrton Senna, Lewis Hamilton and of course Ron Dennis.

For renderings, contact me at: [email protected]

Last edited by Mark ANTAR; 06-10-2013 at 11:50 AM.
post #25 of 128 Old 06-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Owner

Because McLaren had its roots and close association with Formula One, I was intrigued how their philosophies albeit different from Ferrari would translate onto their production road cars.... it was indeed a viable alternative!

I also like what the original McLaren F1 had achieved in terms of outright performance and revolutionized the hyper-car segment.

"It lets you drive hard but it won't let you kill yourself... and that is just the tip of a technological iceberg" - JC
post #26 of 128 Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 PM

I remember hearing about McLaren first when the F1 came out. Then again when the McLaren Mercedes came out.

Being a big fan of Top Gear, I saw the review that Clarkson did and I became fascinated by the beauty of the car. The front, the back, the profile, all just awesome. Clarkson talked about how comfortable it is, how well it drives, and that it gets good gas mileage.

Then I hit youtube and watched all the reviews of the car, but the one that really sold me on it was the BBC show 'How To Build A Supercar: MP4-12C. That did it.

A supercar that is easy to drive, decent gas mileage, looks awesome, yet few know what it really is, and goes like stink? Perfect!

I have always been a fan of Ferrari since I first saw the 308 on Magnum PI and still am. But if I had to choose between the 458 and the 12C, I would take the McLaren (spider, please).
post #27 of 128 Old 07-04-2013, 01:56 PM

I've always liked Niki Lauda for his bluntness and I've always liked John Watson because he is John Watson. When the two of them became teammates in 1982, that got me focused on McLaren. When the F1 won Le Mans in 1995, basically a street vehicle winning Le Mans, that so impressed me that there could be no further discussions of who held sway in engineering and performance supremacy.
post #28 of 128 Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Owner
Owner

am with you there George... I was always in awe of F1 but when they took their 'road car' and put it on track and not just won but almost shut out the top of the finishers, I started to take much more notice... plus the LM sounded freakin magnficient braking into the mulsanne chicane.... and then powering out the otherside... will never forget... particularly as when the panoz went by they almost made you sick with the vibrations coming from the v8..
post #29 of 128 Old 07-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Owner

As a kid I always loved cars. Ferraris, Lambos, Maserati (the Bora is still a gorgeous car), Lancia, Panteras, the mid-engines. So amazing.

Then when got older, we became a Honda family because we got tired of fixing all the US cars (although I like a lot of current day US cars, there are really a lot of good ones now). And that got me interested in the Honda/McLaren F1 partnership. Senna. The mid-engine NSX. So much awesome.

And then the F1. Was something so lustworthy. So pure. So insane. So clean. It's wacky that the car could be all those things.

So I finally had the $ to get a super car. I'm going to get a 458. My mind is set. I just wasn't sure if it would be black or red. I go down to test drive them. The coupe is great (not a fan of the spider--despite it's gorgeous looks). It was a serious upgrade from my vette (great car by the way). Ready to plunk my cash down. Dealer says why dont you try the Mac. It kind of melted my mind.

It was instantly clear right after I hammered the gas, the car was a terrorist. Right at that instant, I knew I was getting the car. If you love sheer, brutal, exacting performance, it's not clear to me how you could possibly come to any other conclusion. Driving the car is like being on shrooms, while being shot out of a rocket catapult, and folding fractal factorials to find alien life.

All those little bits ended up being a thread that just gave me a positive intuition/feeling for the thing.
post #30 of 128 Old 07-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkheit View Post
As a kid I always loved cars. Ferraris, Lambos, Maserati (the Bora is still a gorgeous car), Lancia, Panteras, the mid-engines. So amazing.

Then when got older, we became a Honda family because we got tired of fixing all the US cars (although I like a lot of current day US cars, there are really a lot of good ones now). And that got me interested in the Honda/McLaren F1 partnership. Senna. The mid-engine NSX. So much awesome.

And then the F1. Was something so lustworthy. So pure. So insane. So clean. It's wacky that the car could be all those things.

So I finally had the $ to get a super car. I'm going to get a 458. My mind is set. I just wasn't sure if it would be black or red. I go down to test drive them. The coupe is great (not a fan of the spider--despite it's gorgeous looks). It was a serious upgrade from my vette (great car by the way). Ready to plunk my cash down. Dealer says why dont you try the Mac. It kind of melted my mind.

It was instantly clear right after I hammered the gas, the car was a terrorist. Right at that instant, I knew I was getting the car. If you love sheer, brutal, exacting performance, it's not clear to me how you could possibly come to any other conclusion. Driving the car is like being on shrooms, while being shot out of a rocket catapult, and folding fractal factorials to find alien life.

All those little bits ended up being a thread that just gave me a positive intuition/feeling for the thing.
I like your prose John,even though I don't quite understand it,but the passion is there like the rest of us.I think you have to have a different mind set to own a McLaren compared to your average supercar owner ,now everyone can tell me what that might be !!!

The (675) "Beast"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in