McLaren Grand Touring - McLaren Life
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

McLaren Grand Touring

McLaren poised to redefine the rules of Grand Touring

5 Mar 2019

McLaren announces intention to introduce a new Grand Tourer
Announcement made by CEO, Mike Flewitt, during McLaren’s Geneva press conference
Image released of a camouflaged car
The fourth McLaren to be revealed under the Track25 Business Plan
Revealed in a few months time; follow cars.mclaren.com/newrules
McLaren promises to redefine the rules of Grand Touring when it releases its own interpretation of the Grand Tourer in just a few months. The announcement was made by CEO, Mike Flewitt, at the company’s press presentation during the 89th International Geneva Motor Show.

“The fourth McLaren to be introduced under the Track25 business plan will be our interpretation of the Grand Tourer. It will be a car that combines competition levels of performance with continent- crossing capability, wrapped in a beautiful lightweight body. It’s a car that has been designed for distance and one that will also provide the comfort and space expected of a Grand Tourer. But with a level of agility never experienced before in this segment. In addition, it will be the lightest of Grand Tourers and by also having the best power-to-weight ratio, I promise it will be one of the quickest. In addition, it will be the only Grand Tourer to share its DNA with the 250mph McLaren Speedtail.”
Mike Flewitt, CEO, McLaren Automotive

Neither the name of the car nor its final design were revealed. But an image of the McLaren of Grand Tourers shown in a distinctive camouflage has been issued. Mike did confirm that it will be a sleek, beautiful and boldly elegant car, one keeping to the McLaren philosophy of every design detail being present for a reason. The interior will feel spacious, uncluttered and modern with only authentic, high quality materials employed. He also promised that the McLaren of Grand Tourers will be the most usable mid-engined car yet.

Mike went on to say that the McLaren of Grand Tourers will not form part of any of the company’s existing model Series and will be a unique, tailored model. Its name and more information are set to be released over the coming months.
Attached Images

ZombiePhysicist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 11:54 AM

Uh, so what is it? A limited $1M car or a new, normal priced model?
post #3 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
Uh, so what is it? A limited $1M car or a new, normal priced model?
This from Road and Track "Flewitt promised the new GT will arrive in the coming months, and we've been told it will cost about the same as a 570S Spider."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...ing-gt-geneva/

post #4 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 12:27 PM

Well this is very interesting. What exactly is the base for this car?
post #5 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well this is very interesting. What exactly is the base for this car?
My assumption is that there will be enough storage space for a couple of travel suitcases. The current cars only provide space for track helmets cash and credit cards ....

Last edited by eMcL; 03-05-2019 at 12:46 PM.
post #6 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 12:48 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

So a 2+2? The R&T article said it’s competing with the Portofino, so that would be interesting... I’ve been looking at the Portofino (or a California T) as a daily driver.. but if this is available in the coming “months”, then this could be interesting... though I’d prefer convertible and pretty sure this will be a coupe..

Thanks!

Z.
post #7 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMcL View Post
My assumption is that there will be enough storage space for a couple of travel suitcases. The current cars only provide space for track helmets cash and credit cards ....
Yeah, but what car is it based on? The 720S?
post #8 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 01:04 PM

God this release is timed so perfectly. A new generation of Astons, 911s, GT's and Portofino all following old rules. I'm excited to see what McLaren can bring to the GT game, especially since their sports cars are already so comfortable.
Sadly I think people will complain about having bought a 570GT though. I personally love McLaren's aggressive and competitive approach as a manufacturer.
post #9 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 01:18 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Super cool. Interesting that it’s around 570 pricing as there is already a 570 gt model. The 720 is already a great gt everything car... I’m not sure why this car is needed in the line up because the gt side seems well covered. That said, I’m stoked to see what they put out here.
post #10 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
Super cool. Interesting that it’s around 570 pricing as there is already a 570 gt model. The 720 is already a great gt everything car... I’m not sure why this car is needed in the line up because the gt side seems well covered. That said, I’m stoked to see what they put out here.
They promised a lot of cars, gotta fill those spaces. Hopefully it will be really good, but to me if they stick with the 570S suspension id find that weird, the Superseries suspension is to me the things that makes the car an epic long drive car. Especially on less than perfect roads.
ZombiePhysicist likes this.
post #11 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, but what car is it based on? The 720S?
Well from the press release seems it is a new GT not based on any current series?
“Mike went on to say that the McLaren of Grand Tourers will not form part of any of the company’s existing model Series and will be a unique, tailored model”
post #12 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 02:47 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokewl View Post
So a 2+2? The R&T article said it’s competing with the Portofino, so that would be interesting... I’ve been looking at the Portofino (or a California T) as a daily driver.. but if this is available in the coming “months”, then this could be interesting... though I’d prefer convertible and pretty sure this will be a coupe..

Thanks!

Z.
I have been told the first model will not be a 2+2, although that could follow in time.

The summary seems to be that this car will be a "hard" version of a 570GT or a "soft" version of a 720S.
post #13 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Britain View Post
I have been told the first model will not be a 2+2, although that could follow in time.

The summary seems to be that this car will be a "hard" version of a 570GT or a "soft" version of a 720S.
Yes. I'm thinking more along the lines of the NSX which has some rear trunk space … ? And some comfy seats.
Attached Images

Last edited by eMcL; 03-05-2019 at 03:07 PM.
post #14 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Well from the press release seems it is a new GT not based on any current series?
“Mike went on to say that the McLaren of Grand Tourers will not form part of any of the company’s existing model Series and will be a unique, tailored model”
Interesting they would create a whole new chassis or carbon tub to make this seperate line. If it shares the same tub, im surpised they would even make a non 2+2 since they already have cars that fill that niche
post #15 of 76 Old 03-05-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstkill View Post
Interesting they would create a whole new chassis or carbon tub to make this seperate line. If it shares the same tub, im surpised they would even make a non 2+2 since they already have cars that fill that niche
Not saying they're doing it, but with a CF tub, how hard could it really be to make the whole car longer? Probably pretty easy.

I'm guessing it's just going to be a car with more luggage space somehow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in