All Electric Mclaren confirmed! - McLaren Life
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 08-19-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

All Electric Mclaren confirmed!

McLaren will introduce a pure-electric model that must “perform like the 675LT”, according to an Autocar source.

Here's the Article:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...rs-development

and Here's an insightful analysis:
http://thepropulsion.com/stories/mclaren-electric-car/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 08-19-2017, 04:43 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superscoop View Post
McLaren will introduce a pure-electric model that must “perform like the 675LT”, according to an Autocar source.

Here's the Article:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...rs-development

and Here's an insightful analysis:
http://thepropulsion.com/stories/mclaren-electric-car/
Hmm of so many mixed minds. Parts of the 720 are so good. But these hybrid and and electric options are super intriguing too. Makes me want to just stay pat.
smokeygt likes this.
post #3 of 39 Old 08-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Sign me up! EV super cars are the future. Can't wait!

post #4 of 39 Old 08-20-2017, 04:01 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

I don't buy it. Yes McLaren said they're going to prototype an all-electric car to see if they can get the "feel" to be right BUT they didn't say they were putting one into production any time soon. With the battery technology available today do you think it could even do 10 laps laps around Spa before it needed a 20-60 minute recharge? Also using batteries so harshly like that would cause them to degrade pretty quickly which would make owning one frightfully expensive. I just don't see the the point and I'm 100% confident this article is wrong about McLaren's current plans.
post #5 of 39 Old 08-20-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNC View Post
I don't buy it. Yes McLaren said they're going to prototype an all-electric car to see if they can get the "feel" to be right BUT they didn't say they were putting one into production any time soon. With the battery technology available today do you think it could even do 10 laps laps around Spa before it needed a 20-60 minute recharge? Also using batteries so harshly like that would cause them to degrade pretty quickly which would make owning one frightfully expensive. I just don't see the the point and I'm 100% confident this article is wrong about McLaren's current plans.
I think Autocar has been pretty much accurate when it comes to speculations on Mclaren's plans. Also, the article states that "The brand’s intention is to build five examples initially and ask a selection of favoured McLaren owners to drive them as part of the development process"
It looks like Mclaren is onto something.
post #6 of 39 Old 08-20-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNC View Post
While I have no comment on the credibility of the article or accuracy, I can say that I wouldn't care if I couldn't get full blast for 10 laps of Spa or not because I drive 99% of my time on a normal road.

EVs may not be ideal for tracks, but they are excellent for the road. As long as it got 200-300 miles on a charge, that would be fine with me.
post #7 of 39 Old 08-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superscoop View Post
Also, the article states that "The brand’s intention is to build five examples initially and ask a selection of favoured McLaren owners to drive them as part of the development process".
Surely you will be one of the five Mark?

Up above the streets and houses.
post #8 of 39 Old 08-21-2017, 01:34 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
While I have no comment on the credibility of the article or accuracy, I can say that I wouldn't care if I couldn't get full blast for 10 laps of Spa or not because I drive 99% of my time on a normal road.

EVs may not be ideal for tracks, but they are excellent for the road. As long as it got 200-300 miles on a charge, that would be fine with me.
The credibility of the article is pretty much ALL I was commenting on. Any prediction of this sort can be made to be accurate if you're willing to wait enough years for the technology & infrastructure to catch up so you can afford to build it and get the product to market. The implication is that this is imminent which I think is complete nonsense.

Clearly given enough years we're going to get batteries with power densities and energetic densities large enough to power EV supercars that have enough range to be practical when combined with, and only when combined with, charging times that bring them more in line with gasoline powered cars with significantly reduced costs. That is certainly not a given today based on how much power they'd need to store/discharge and how quickly they'd need to charge. I imagine, based on gasoline prices in the USA, right now you'd spend MORE money on an electric super car (assuming more performance & range too) today than you do on gasoline cars.

Drive your Tesla's like you drive your P1s and you're going be shocked at how little range they have and how long they spend charging.
post #9 of 39 Old 08-21-2017, 05:10 AM
InnerCircle

I drive my McLaren Everyday, I have 34k miles in three years, I hope McLaren is watching and allows me to test it.
smokeygt likes this.
post #10 of 39 Old 08-21-2017, 06:25 AM

I think this is at least one definite way forward for Mac, I would love to see them take an approx like Rimac with electric AWD or RWD at the touch of a button, 4 wheel steer, 4 motors. Whilst some see awd and Mclaren as some sort of taboo it makes sense to me as a technology company trying to push the boundaries and not be stuck with one mindset. As the tech improves rapidly the weight will come down considerably too.
post #11 of 39 Old 08-21-2017, 12:58 PM
Owner

I think the all electric hypercar by McLaren is going to revolutionize the industry and force the competition to catch up. The LaF hybrid system was the minimum package. The 918 at least had electric motors like the P1.

If they don't adapt soon, they will find themselves way behind. Carbon tub and monocoques plus electric motors and full EV hypercars being planned show how far ahead McLaren already is.

Bravo! Excited to see what they come up with. They never disappoint.
post #12 of 39 Old 08-21-2017, 03:09 PM
Owner

Garage
https://i.imgur.com/yNFsYgT.gifv
A West likes this.

2018 720S Coupe
2016 570S Coupe

Last edited by Kutsuki; 08-21-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: I guess gifv's can't be embedded.
post #13 of 39 Old 08-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Owner

I would hate to see that's where we're headed, although it seems likely. The lack of exhaust note is an insurmountable issue for me. I love to hear the engine, never use the radio, and the louder, the better. If you've listened to eF1 racing, they sound exactly like RC cars. Terrible.
Kutsuki and TheJimer like this.
post #14 of 39 Old 08-21-2017, 07:03 PM
InnerCircle

I would bet they would have a recording that plays based on how you accelerate as well as recording off mode. the recording would also be nice for those outside the auto so they know you are around. lol, hope the speakers are good.
post #15 of 39 Old 08-21-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone2 View Post
Sign me up! EV super cars are the future. Can't wait!

Only the sounds is at amiss! Hell yeah sign me up!

Last edited by Cyborg; 08-21-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in