All Electric Mclaren confirmed! - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 39 Old 08-21-2017, 07:54 PM

I don't like the idea of the future being pure electric only, losing the beautiful exhaust sounds. I wouldn't mind hybrid cars like the P1 as standard vehicles though. That way when I want it to be loud or when I want it to be quiet (in respect for the neighborhood and others) I can choose to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 Old 08-21-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica View Post
I would bet they would have a recording that plays based on how you accelerate as well as recording off mode. the recording would also be nice for those outside the auto so they know you are around. lol, hope the speakers are good.

Or just leave the ICE in and save money on those internal/external speakers!!
post #18 of 39 Old 08-22-2017, 03:08 PM

Call me a Neanderthal, but I'll pass.

I could care less about our electric/autonomous future unless there is at least some future for the ICE, and not in only hybrid form. IMO if what the world is looking for in a daily beater is an all electric vehicle, fine. But making the case for an all electric being a near-future version of a GT3 or 675LT, a track-weapon, continue to dream of electric sheep.

McLaren's corporate vision, as well as most of Europe's vision of the future depresses me. Politicians and populace consumed with BS global warming, and the very real bans for the actual manufacture and selling of ICE cars.

I'm not the head of McLaren, but it seems to me that with their low production compared to the auto giants of the world, they could take full advantage of their position in the marketplace. They could produce a fire breathing NA V12 for an Ultimate Series car, and experiment with this all electric sports car on a level at or below the 570...sort of an "all electric Lotus or Caterham" type car.

But what do I know...

post #19 of 39 Old 08-22-2017, 10:20 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

I'm in!

I think the purpose is accelerating the envelope of performance capabilities. Acceleration, Handling, Deceleration, etc are the most important areas of super-cars are most measured and compared by. The sound of its engine (although very intoxicating and one of my favorite parts!) is a by product of all the other things and is not the primary reason for the vehicle to exist. Above all a car must perform. If it was just about sound then we could all find a nice cheap mid 90's Mustang 5.0 engine and blissfully listen to the soundtrack it produces. lots of growl, burp's and brobbles (is brobbles even a real word? well now it is! LOL)

Don't miss what i'm attempting to say. I LOVE the sounds of exotic sports cars with ICE's. I think the Lambo Aventador is one of the best sounding engines ever! If you exclude initial cost or resale value and just use emotion, then given the opportunity to own a P1 or the Aventador I would choose the McLaren's performance (and aesthetics) over the Lambo's Sounds... personal choice I'm sure but there are some that will choose to "go faster" that to "sound faster".

Of course the more we go electric as a society that will of course increase the demand and the value of our old ICE machines, it's still a win-win as electric takes over the market segment. And when that happens the old technology becomes more desirable and more sought after with people who can willing to pay a premium to taste the experience it gives.

Its just like someone paying 20+ million dollars for a rare vintage Ferrari. The value is not in the performance numbers, those cars are slow and they handle like a wet banana! The value is in the drivers experience, that a modern car no longer provides. (you know what I'm talking about... that open dangerous cock pit, lap belts and metal dashboards, drum brakes, no airbags and terrible headlights that barely light up the road? those experiences!)

- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C Graphite Gray (his)
- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C Brilliant White (hers)
- 2017 Alfa Romero Giulia Quadrifoglio
post #20 of 39 Old 08-22-2017, 10:23 PM

I don't know why, but the song Red Barchetta (Rush, Moving Pictures, 1981!) just came to mind.
post #21 of 39 Old 08-22-2017, 10:33 PM
InnerCircle
Owner

SPOT ON!!!! unbelievable, I've heard that song a hundred times and never understood the lyrics... after reading them it makes sense...

https://youtu.be/PjjNvjURS-s

RED BARCHETTA
AVAILABLE ON MOVING PICTURES

Music: Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson
Lyrics: Neil Peart

My uncle has a country place, that no-one knows about
He says it used to be a farm, before the Motor Law
Sundays I elude the ‘Eyes’, and hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire, where my white-haired uncle waits

Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine –
For fifty-odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream
I strip away the old debris, that hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta, from a better, vanished time
Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar!
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime…

Wind in my hair –
Shifting and drifting –
Mechanical music
Adrenalin surge –

Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware
Suddenly ahead of me, across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air-car shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires, to run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley as another joins the chase

Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man
Laughing out loud
With fear and hope, I’ve got a desperate plan
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded
At the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle
At the fireside…
jonm42 likes this.

- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C Graphite Gray (his)
- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C Brilliant White (hers)
- 2017 Alfa Romero Giulia Quadrifoglio
post #22 of 39 Old 08-23-2017, 02:55 AM

Forget electrics. I'm thinking more along the lines of a horse "pellet" gasifier. Certainly renewable energy.
http://makezine.com/2010/06/24/lost-...-gas-vehicles/

Then I could say she goes like stink, for real.
Wouldn't have to worry about tailgaters.
(Any more?)
eMcL likes this.
post #23 of 39 Old 08-23-2017, 03:18 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm42 View Post
I don't know why, but the song Red Barchetta (Rush, Moving Pictures, 1981!) just came to mind.
Yeah I love that song and it may come true but probably not in my lifetime. People completely over-estimate short-terms gains in technology but tend to underestimate long-term gains. There are lots of future technologies that could change peoples minds on abandoning internal combustion engines (by making them massively more efficient) and equally likely future technologies that could make electrifying every car on the road actually feasible because it sure as heck isn't feasible right now.
post #24 of 39 Old 08-23-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNC View Post
I don't buy it. Yes McLaren said they're going to prototype an all-electric car to see if they can get the "feel" to be right BUT they didn't say they were putting one into production any time soon. With the battery technology available today do you think it could even do 10 laps laps around Spa before it needed a 20-60 minute recharge? Also using batteries so harshly like that would cause them to degrade pretty quickly which would make owning one frightfully expensive. I just don't see the the point and I'm 100% confident this article is wrong about McLaren's current plans.
mark, i get your point, but i could do a max of 7 laps in the P1 GTR around spa, before a 20-60 min pitstop... maybe a little bit quicker but still..
post #25 of 39 Old 08-24-2017, 11:18 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by A West View Post
mark, i get your point, but i could do a max of 7 laps in the P1 GTR around spa, before a 20-60 min pitstop... maybe a little bit quicker but still..
Yeah but at least you could still drive the car on the petrol engine after that. Once the battery is depleted on a full EV it won't move under its own power. Plus one must assume a full EV would have more battery capacity than a hybrid because the extra packaging room you'd get by eliminating the petrol engine but that is counteracted by having no petrol engine assistance so the draw off the batteries would be massively - so I figured maybe 10 laps at speed and a far shortly battery lifespan (not talking range here, but rather actual lifespan) because of it. Either way it wouldn't be much fun to be sitting around for an hour after every 15-20 minutes of driving.
post #26 of 39 Old 08-24-2017, 11:54 AM

I don't see the problem. I mean, I get 250 miles of range out of the 12C because most of the time I'm not actually driving at 8000 rpm in 2nd. Sure, at 8000 in 2nd range tanks, but the average normal roads don't really allow for non-stop, pedal to the floor driving. An EV would totally work because people really just cruise more often than they go full chat. They'll no doubt have more than enough power to have fun and still get home to charge or wherever they're going.

Tracks will soon install EV charging as more and more EVs show up as well, I'm sure.
post #27 of 39 Old 08-24-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNC View Post
Yeah but at least you could still drive the car on the petrol engine after that. Once the battery is depleted on a full EV it won't move under its own power. Plus one must assume a full EV would have more battery capacity than a hybrid because the extra packaging room you'd get by eliminating the petrol engine but that is counteracted by having no petrol engine assistance so the draw off the batteries would be massively - so I figured maybe 10 laps at speed and a far shortly battery lifespan (not talking range here, but rather actual lifespan) because of it. Either way it wouldn't be much fun to be sitting around for an hour after every 15-20 minutes of driving.
i meant i ran out of fuel after 7 laps... not sure what the difference is between having to pit to refuel or to recharge.... refuel marginally quicker for now
post #28 of 39 Old 08-24-2017, 07:11 PM

Electric or at least hybrid's got the be the way forward, count me in for Sports Series hybrid.
post #29 of 39 Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A West View Post
i meant i ran out of fuel after 7 laps... not sure what the difference is between having to pit to refuel or to recharge.... refuel marginally quicker for now
It's the time to charge for now. Although there is a battery swap option available on a tesla, but I believe only one such station exists at HQ in SF. That would be great on track for sure.

Also, I imagine in another 5-7 years, the charge time will improve a great bit. I could see something like 10minute charge time getting you 80% capacity happening by then.
A West likes this.
post #30 of 39 Old 08-24-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
Also, I imagine in another 5-7 years, the charge time will improve a great bit. I could see something like 10minute charge time getting you 80% capacity happening by then.
Hmm think you maybe a bit optimistic.
That would take 1500V and 480 Amps to supply the 720KW. Monster heavy cables and enough heat to fry allot of eggs. Then multiply that by the # of cars at the charging station and wow....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in