37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 46 Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
2012 MP4-12C
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK1982 View Post
488GTB is old news ... F8 is announced but already is kind of old news for the ones who always want to have the newest Ferrari as the SF90 was also announced ... having 4 more or less similar cars with slightly different purpose but still quiet a lot of similarities available at the same time (488gtb, Pista, F8 and SF90) does not make much sense to me ... even the most die hard Ferrari fans will likely only buy 2 of them
Is there any doubt this is ferrari's 12C/650 panic, but worse? In desperate response to the 488 (and pista and whatever other new variants) being a complete loser against the 720. They kept having to up their game to just not be completely embarrassed. And early 488 owners that held on were stuck with the big depreciation bag.

Which is the great thing about competition. McLaren has forced everyone to up their game.
str8blst and ChrisK1982 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePhysicist View Post
Is there any doubt this is ferrari's 12C/650 panic, but worse? In desperate response to the 488 (and pista and whatever other new variants) being a complete loser against the 720. They kept having to up their game to just not be completely embarrassed. And early 488 owners that held on were stuck with the big depreciation bag.

Which is the great thing about competition. McLaren has forced everyone to up their game.
certainly feels like it... McLaren on the other hand seems to have a good time taking a bit of a slower product cycle approach. They are currently limited somewhere at about 5-6k cars by their assembly lines - last two years and this year that was mainly 570s and 720s ... now the GT, soon to be announced 570s replacement and bulk build 720s spider, with some build to order 720s coupes plus 600LT spiders and some 600LT coupes give them a good mix but it feels like they don't need to chase competitors anymore design wise like in the MP4/650s times, as the 720s defines the standard for the 300-450k USD supercar market with no new disruptive product anywhere around the corner ... Lambo will likely milk the Huracan and Aventador at least another 2-3 years more (Aventador EVO anyone? Aventador EVO SVJ anyone ? Huracan EVO performante anyone ?) and Ferrari has shown its hand for the next 4-5 years already (F8, SF90 which are both likely to have spiders and maybe performance variations plus the only yet unknown V6 Hybrid which will also be shown within the next 12 months...) ... Well and Porsche, no idea, but it seems less and less likely sth. like the 960 in the 720s/Aventador price range will ever be build ... new high performance variations of the 992 are also out at least 2-3 years while a new GT3 BUT NON RS will probably be available next year

Current Cars:

2019: 720s MSO Atlantic Blue
2010: MB SLS coupe
1957: MB 300SL Roadster
1956: Porsche 356 Conv. A 1600S
+several other Audi Porsche and Mercedes cars

Last edited by ChrisK1982; Yesterday at 04:10 PM.
post #33 of 46 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
Owner

Quote:
certainly feels like it... McLaren on the other hand seems to have a good time taking a bit of a slower product cycle approach. They are currently limited somewhere at about 5-6k cars by their assembly lines - last two years and this year that was mainly 570s and 720s ... now the GT, soon to be announced 570s replacement and bulk build 720s spider, with some build to order 720s coupes plus 600LT spiders and some 600LT coupes give them a good mix but it feels like they don't need to chase competitors anymore design wise like in the MP4/650s times, as the 720s defines the standard for the 300-450k USD supercar market with no new disruptive product anywhere around the corner ... Lambo will likely milk the Huracan and Aventador at least another 2-3 years more (Aventador EVO anyone? Aventador EVO SVJ anyone ? Huracan EVO performante anyone ?) and Ferrari has shown its hand for the next 4-5 years already (F8, SF90 which are both likely to have spiders and maybe performance variations plus the only yet unknown V6 Hybrid which will also be shown within the next 12 months...) ... Well and Porsche, no idea, but it seems less and less likely sth. like the 960 in the 720s/Aventador price range will ever be build ... new high performance variations of the 992 are also out at least 2-3 years while a new GT3 BUT NON RS will probably be available next year
Aventador will be replaced late next year with a V12 Hybrid. All pure ICE cars will be gone. The 7XX LT will also be the last pure ICE McLaren.

post #34 of 46 Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
Owner

1. Overall market for exotics is slumping
2. Mac builds more cars than there are buyers
3. x-factor: 720S is premium-priced

With regards to #3, I think many of us forget that the 720S, spec for spec, was priced at a massive premium to the true previous-gen car, the MP4-12C. Of course we are several years on, and one could also argue that the sport series took over that price bracket. Nonetheless, the 720 is kind of more Aventador-priced. Many early MP4 owners on this board thought the MP4 was priced high, relative to Mac's startup position in the market. I never thought so, but I remember it was a point of contention among early adopters.

So now that we are in a bit of a perfect storm (i.e. all 3 factors listed, above), naturally the haircut is going to be big.

I will say the 720, styling-wise, makes a lot of other exotics look outdated, pretty much all other McLarens included. I saw a couple up close this morning and was surprised how much the design has grown on me. Was it the last car with Frank S. as director?
post #35 of 46 Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinV10 View Post
Quote:
Aventador will be replaced late next year with a V12 Hybrid. All pure ICE cars will be gone. The 7XX LT will also be the last pure ICE McLaren.
Other rumor was they will do an EVO and later on a final LE extreme sports version of that ... with Audi killing the R8 i don’t know how lambo wants to make a meaningful Huracan replacement anyway or do they want to base it on the Porsche 992 ???

Current Cars:

Last edited by ChrisK1982; Yesterday at 06:49 PM.
post #36 of 46 Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
Owner

If the market stays soft, I think we can brace ourselves for a plethora of special cosmetic or mildly tuned editions from all marques.
post #37 of 46 Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th element View Post
If the market stays soft, I think we can brace ourselves for a plethora of special cosmetic or mildly tuned editions from all marques.
You mean they all are going to Winkelmann their product portfolios ?

Current Cars:

post #38 of 46 Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM
Owner

Quote:
wont happen. The regulatory environment from Europe and Asia are forcing the hand of the manufacturers. They have no choice but to go hybrid or electrify their products within the next 5 years.

My guess is that there will be a lukewarm reception to the new age of hybrid supercars. Those of us who like/love/crave the internal combustion engine, will hold on to what we have. This **may** stabilize the precipitous pricing drop that has historically been unavoidable.

Last edited by SmokinV10; Yesterday at 07:57 PM.
post #39 of 46 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinV10 View Post
Quote:
wont happen. The regulatory environment from Europe and Asia are forcing the hand of the manufacturers. They have no choice but to go hybrid or electrify their products within the next 5 years.

My guess is that there will be a lukewarm reception to the new age of hybrid supercars. Those of us who like/love/crave the internal combustion engine, will hold on to what we have. This **may** stabilize the precipitous pricing drop that has historically been unavoidable.
Main problem I see with these hybrids/EVs is, how will they age and if they will stay collectible and have a distinguishable personality ... once the ICE is gone or at least partly replaced by an electric engine the cars loose a lot of their personality

Current Cars:

post #40 of 46 Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
Owner

Yes they will winkleman. I think it will be runout editions everywhere. After all they will need to extract as much profit as possible feom their existing model line up. Investment in new platforms will be put on hold until the market shows signs of recovery and growth.

China editions, carbon editions, track(ish) editions. Brexit editions. Should be fun.
John Galt likes this.
post #41 of 46 Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Yes they will winkleman. I think it will be runout editions everywhere. After all they will need to extract as much profit as possible feom their existing model line up. Investment in new platforms will be put on hold until the market shows signs of recovery and growth.

China editions, carbon editions, track(ish) editions. Brexit editions. Should be fun.
What is a Brexit edition ??? Missing all parts that are not produced in Great Britain ?

Current Cars:

post #42 of 46 Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
Owner

Quote:

The investment is made. The hybrid 570 replacement will launch later this year with deliveries starting in 2020. Still can’t see how low volume hybrids make a significant impact on the global pollution reality.
John Galt and ChrisK1982 like this.

roundincircles

Started with Scalextric

720S Azores

Smart 4/2 , BMW 5 Touring X, 18 BMW GS 1200.

12C Coupe , Spider and 650S Spider Now History but not forgotten.

Various 911's from 1991, TVR, Beetle 1600S, Morris Minor. Renault 4. Triang 3 Wheeler.
post #43 of 46 Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundincircles View Post
The investment is made. The hybrid 570 replacement will launch later this year with deliveries starting in 2020. Still can’t see how low volume hybrids make a significant impact on the global pollution reality.
They don't, its just green washing ... anyway better than closing the factory gates ... and you can tell the ppl who look angrily at you in town that you drive a Hybrid

Current Cars:

Last edited by ChrisK1982; Yesterday at 09:14 PM.
post #44 of 46 Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundincircles View Post
The exotics are all going hybrid so they can pass emission tests—especially the city driving tests which involve stop start driving — when this is electric drive the emissions are zero.
post #45 of 46 Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM

All the hybrid/electric talk have me thinking the 7xxLT will be a pretty desirable car. Personally, I will likely be buying one when available. I just can’t get really excited about hybrids, and especially not all electric cars.
eMcL likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in