McLaren on customer service - McLaren Life
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor
InnerCircle
Sponsor

McLaren on customer service

So, the drivers seat of the Brand New 2020 720S Spider I just purchased from McLaren Philadelphia became non functional after about 140 miles of driving the car. McLaren picked up the car and delivered it to my local dealer in Tampa. They diagnosed the issue as a bad module on the CANBUS system which was causing the drivers seat not to function.

The part has since been ordered but McLaren N.A.(dealer tried to help but they were denied) is telling me that I have to pay for the return transport or reunite as they call it. Needless to say I am not very pleased with this response as the car has less than 300 miles on it and its a failed component that caused the issue.

I am finding this to be less than acceptable customer service after dropping $400K on a car, only to have a failed module occur within 140 miles of ownership and they won’t pay for transport/reunite back to me, the car is brand new, literally. Something is definitely wrong with this in my opinion. You would think that after spending almost a half a million dollars on a car with them they would step up to help and say “We understand that things happen but we want to help you out on this and sorry for the inconvenience.”

This is just a bit of venting on my behalf but wanted to share my experience with McLaren North America’s customer service and or lack there of it in my opinion. It’s not that things go wrong, they do. It’s how it is handled that matters the most.

Last edited by EvolutionAutomotive; 05-24-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 07:19 PM

not acceptable in my opinion ... also not if it was a 30k car ...
kovalser and rnixon like this.

Current Cars:

2019: 720s MSO Atlantic Blue
2010: MB SLS coupe
1957: MB 300SL Roadster
1956: Porsche 356 Conv. A 1600S
+several other Audi Porsche and Mercedes cars
post #3 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 07:24 PM
Administrator

That's absolutely terrible, hope someone from McLaren N.A. is reading this and it gets taken care of for you.

Nonetheless, despite the hiccup congrats on the delivery of your Spider as I know we chatted about it not too long ago. Cheers to many happy miles of motoring once the issue is fixed

- Humza

post #4 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 07:36 PM
Owner

Simply amazing! I don't get it. Mclaren could own the super car industry. They have great cars over and above all other exotics in my opinion. Then after all the R&D for a great automobile, they fail on the most elementary level of any business. Someone wake up or hire me to take car of Mclarens business. I truly cannot imagine what they are thinking.

Mike
rnixon likes this.
post #5 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor
InnerCircle
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK1982 View Post
not acceptable in my opinion ... also not if it was a 30k car ...
Thats is correct sir. Thats why it doesn't matter is it is $20 or $20K spent with me, customer service is everything! Ask anyone who has done business with me on this forum. Yes, things have gone wrong as it is inevitable but you had better believe that I made it right one way or another.
Vipertestarossa, Bob_D and rnixon like this.
post #6 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor
InnerCircle
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016 650S View Post
Simply amazing! I don't get it. Mclaren could own the super car industry. They have great cars over and above all other exotics in my opinion. Then after all the R&D for a great automobile, they fail on the most elementary level of any business. Someone wake up or hire me to take car of Mclarens business. I truly cannot imagine what they are thinking.

Mike
Wish that you were head of CR Mike, I would have probably not have written this sir. In my experience it is a disappointment as they do offer a very unique car. I have personally owned 5 McLaren(s) from VIN 305 MP4-12C moving forward and have sent them so many customers I honestly cannot count them, I just don't know as it started in 2013. But, as a customer I am disappointed, very much so. It’s a brand new car and it is not that much to ask. In fact, I should not have to. I do believe it is called common courtesy.

Last edited by EvolutionAutomotive; 05-24-2019 at 07:50 PM.
post #7 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor
InnerCircle
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubscriptionSupport View Post
That's absolutely terrible, hope someone from McLaren N.A. is reading this and it gets taken care of for you.

Nonetheless, despite the hiccup congrats on the delivery of your Spider as I know we chatted about it not too long ago. Cheers to many happy miles of motoring once the issue is fixed

- Humza
Humza, How are you sir! Good to see you chime in, I believe it’s a first! It will get handled I am sure, just a disappointment on the customer service side as you had read.

Have a wonderful weekend and hopefully we can chat soon as it’s always a pleasure
post #8 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionAutomotive View Post
So, the drivers seat of the Brand New 2020 720S Spider I just purchased from McLaren Philadelphia became non functional after about 140 miles of driving the car. McLaren picked up the car and delivered it to my local dealer in Tampa. They diagnosed the issue as a bad module on the CANBUS system which was causing the drivers seat not to function.

The part has since been ordered but McLaren N.A.(dealer tried to help but they were denied) is telling me that I have to pay for the return transport or reunite as they call it. Needless to say I am not very pleased with this response as the car has less than 300 miles on it and its a failed component that caused the issue.

I am finding this to be less than acceptable customer service after dropping $400K on a car, only to have a failed module occur within 140 miles of ownership and they won’t pay for transport/reunite back to me, the car is brand new, literally. Something is definitely wrong with this in my opinion. You would think that after spending almost a half a million dollars on a car with them they would step up to help and say “We understand that things happen but we want to help you out on this and sorry for the inconvenience.”

This is just a bit of venting on my behalf but wanted to share my experience with McLaren North America’s customer service and or lack there of it in my opinion. It’s not that things go wrong, they do. It’s how it is handled that matters the most.
It is unacceptable. McLaren should be embarrassed that it's failed in so few miles, and be bending-over backwards to keep you happy.

If they had done the right thing, you would either have not posted, or have made a positive one. As it is, it's another negative reliability post. If failures are rare, then McLaren need to make them painless for the customer. If they're not, they also need to fix their product. Corporate needs to wake up.
post #9 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 08:10 PM

You didn't buy it from your local dealer that is servicing the car. They have no skin in the game to put in additional resources to get the car back to you free of charge.

Just an fyi - all manufactures warranty (emergency roadside assistance tow) is to ship it to the closest dealer to where the car is physically located at that moment. Return tow isn't covered by any manufacture warranty (if dealers send it back to you free of charge then it is on them and the manufacture isn't paying for any of that).
post #10 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor
InnerCircle
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnixon View Post
It is unacceptable. McLaren should be embarrassed that it's failed in so few miles, and be bending-over backwards to keep you happy.

If they had done the right thing, you would either have not posted, or have made a positive one. As it is, it's another negative reliability post. If failures are rare, then McLaren need to make them painless for the customer. If they're not, they also need to fix their product. Corporate needs to wake up.
Could not have said it better sir. I would much prefer to post something positive as I am not a fan of drama or negativity but first, this is just sub par customer service wise for this high an echelon of car. Second, I always like to see others smile and creating a positive vibe. It makes it hard when a brand you have championed lets you down and just seems not to care.
post #11 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 08:20 PM

That's absurd! How far is Tampa from you?
post #12 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor
InnerCircle
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
That's absurd! How far is Tampa from you?
3hrs, but as you know its the point of the matter. I should not have to ask, let alone fight for it.
Jeff M likes this.
post #13 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionAutomotive View Post
3hrs, but as you know its the point of the matter. I should not have to ask, let alone fight for it.

Yep. 3 hours is waaaaay too far for them to even consider having you come pick it up. I'd be pretty steamed as well even if we're talking about a new Toyota Corolla! Let alone a 720!
post #14 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 09:52 PM

this could also be how its setup because dealers didnt want to compete with each other so McLaren NA set it up so only the purchasing dealer can help? Either way, fixing a car under the same marque shouldn't be so hard...good luck man!
post #15 of 82 Old 05-24-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor
InnerCircle
Sponsor

That's not the case, the dealer has to get approval from McLaren. They can then either approve it or deny it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in