exhaust systems - suggestions and tips on how to install - McLaren Life
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 05-15-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
exhaust systems - suggestions and tips on how to install

I am loving the 720s thus far, but I feel it needs more sound.
I am in the hunt for an exhaust system that can give me the most sound WITHOUT having to remove catalytic converters or yield any annoying CELs.

What exhaust systems do you guys have that retain all OEM stock heat shields and that have good fitment?
Have any of you gotten any CEL lights with the install of them?

Any tips and suggestions/photos on how to go about the install, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Angel

2018 McLaren 720s
2012 Nissan GT-R 4.2L stroker Alpha 9
2007 Porsche EVT750
2012 Jeep SRT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Owner

Garage
You will want to install new downpipes with sport cats. I understand good 300cell units like HJS should not trigger CEL. 200cell will on occasion, but you can clear them yourself with a cheap ODBII device and smartphone or tablet app, which together cost under $100. ECU adapts well, so tune is not required. I'd avoid cat bypass pipes - you'll get more volume but less quality of sound, and pretty sure a tune is mandatory because of the lost backpressure - and that will certainly have a negative effect on warranty claims related to the drivetrain compared to just exhaust.

I attached photos of the factory exhausts. The standard cat-back routes all exhaust gas through a muffler, if you have that you will want to replace. The factory sports exhaust is a better design, basically a double H-pipe with muffler only between the crosstalk channels, so if you have that replacement isn't really necessary. But since there is a lot of labor involved in swapping the downpipes - mostly disassembly for access - might as well replace the catback too while it is exposed. Most aftermarket catback units are X-pipe rather than McLaren's H-pipe design. I am somewhat familiar with the benefits of each in general on a cross plane crank V8, but not really clear on which is preferable on a flat plane crank V8 with twin turbos. You can also opt for a straight pipe catback (Unobtainium makes one), which is the lightest option but of course there will be no scavenging benefit.
Attached Images

2018 McLaren 720S
2015 Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe
2017 Maserati Levante
2018 Lexus NX300
2006 Hummer H1 Alpha

IG: eric.kovalsky
post #3 of 31 Old 05-15-2019, 04:44 PM
Owner

Angel,

I am the Ford Dealer in Excelsior Springs Mo. and involved with the Shadow buddies foundation. My son Nick chats with you some. Give me a call someday and lets meet. Would like to get to know you. Jerry Dobson is a buddy of mine but don't let that keep you from meeting me. lol

Mike

post #4 of 31 Old 05-16-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalser View Post
You will want to install new downpipes with sport cats. I understand good 300cell units like HJS should not trigger CEL. 200cell will on occasion, but you can clear them yourself with a cheap ODBII device and smartphone or tablet app, which together cost under $100. ECU adapts well, so tune is not required. I'd avoid cat bypass pipes - you'll get more volume but less quality of sound, and pretty sure a tune is mandatory because of the lost backpressure - and that will certainly have a negative effect on warranty claims related to the drivetrain compared to just exhaust.

I attached photos of the factory exhausts. The standard cat-back routes all exhaust gas through a muffler, if you have that you will want to replace. The factory sports exhaust is a better design, basically a double H-pipe with muffler only between the crosstalk channels, so if you have that replacement isn't really necessary. But since there is a lot of labor involved in swapping the downpipes - mostly disassembly for access - might as well replace the catback too while it is exposed. Most aftermarket catback units are X-pipe rather than McLaren's H-pipe design. I am somewhat familiar with the benefits of each in general on a cross plane crank V8, but not really clear on which is preferable on a flat plane crank V8 with twin turbos. You can also opt for a straight pipe catback (Unobtainium makes one), which is the lightest option but of course there will be no scavenging benefit.
Thank you! This is exactly the info that I am seeking so that I can make the right decision.
I think I am going to go with a "muffler delete"...
These are two H pipes that I have found that should work well.
I have also found this other titanium system (I know, probably won't get to see it very well once installed), but I am curious about the additional curving and see how that compares in sound. By looking at it, it should maintain also the stock catalytic converters so in theory, it should not have to require any adaptations - and by looking at the shape and brackets, it should also retain all heat shields and hardware.
Attached Images

2018 McLaren 720s
2007 Porsche EVT750
2012 Jeep SRT
post #5 of 31 Old 05-16-2019, 04:50 PM

If you're looking for cat-back only, I submit our British-built, ceramic coated solution for your approval. We're based a mere 7 miles from McLaren HQ in Surrey, UK.

QuickSilver's system features an X-Pipe with 2 x asymmetric balance pipes for a rich, defined "doubled up" soundtrack. Our systems come complete with 2 x pre-programmed electronic connectors for your original valve harness. This means a plug-and-play install with absolutely no error codes.

Here's a 3rd party review of a customer car (cat-back only) in the South of France.

Attached Images

QuickSilver Exhausts LTD
McLaren Sports Exhausts made in Great Britain
Tel: +44 (0) 1428 687 722

https://www.quicksilverexhausts.com/

Last edited by QuickSilver Exhausts; 05-17-2019 at 07:59 AM.
post #6 of 31 Old 05-16-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver Exhausts View Post
If you're looking for cat-back only, I submit our British-built, ceramic coated solution for your approval. We're based a mere 7 miles from McLaren HQ in Surrey, UK.

QuickSilver's system features an X-Pipe with 2 x asymmetric balance pipes for a rich, defined "doubled up" soundtrack. Our systems come complete with 2 x pre-programmed electronic connectors for your original valve harness. This means a plug-and-play install with absolutely no error codes.

Here's a 3rd party review of a customer car (cat-back only) in the South of France.

Thank you - unfortunately, the video could not be played.
I am a bit confused as to where the connectors go since it is not apparent as to where they could connect on the factory exhaust...?

2018 McLaren 720s
2007 Porsche EVT750
2012 Jeep SRT
post #7 of 31 Old 05-16-2019, 06:25 PM
2012 12C Coupe - VR
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAILWAG View Post
Thank you! This is exactly the info that I am seeking so that I can make the right decision.
I think I am going to go with a "muffler delete"...
These are two H pipes that I have found that should work well.
I have also found this other titanium system (I know, probably won't get to see it very well once installed), but I am curious about the additional curving and see how that compares in sound. By looking at it, it should maintain also the stock catalytic converters so in theory, it should not have to require any adaptations - and by looking at the shape and brackets, it should also retain all heat shields and hardware.
Who makes that Xpipe in the bottom photo? Looks beautiful. It is RYFT?

I doubt there will be much sound difference by upgrading the stock sports exhaust with a catback only system. There might be a very slight tonal difference with a titanium Xpipe, but likely not noticeable.

You'd need to change the downpipes/cats to get more sound.

2018 720S - Volcano Red
2012 Hyper800R 12C - Volcano Red. Sold but not forgotten.
post #8 of 31 Old 05-16-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMathMD View Post
Who makes that Xpipe in the bottom photo? Looks beautiful. It is RYFT?

I doubt there will be much sound difference by upgrading the stock sports exhaust with a catback only system. There might be a very slight tonal difference with a titanium Xpipe, but likely not noticeable.

You'd need to change the downpipes/cats to get more sound.
If you look at the OEM sports exhaust, it still has a pretty good size canister. By doing a muffler delete x pipe, it should certainly yield more sound - obviously not as much as a downpipe/cat-delete system, but more sound nevertheless.

The system on bottom is a factory overseas that made my system for a 430 - they apparently have made some for 720s so I may try that since it seems like a more tubular version of the xpipes already out there - both sides still meet so it should be pretty balanced.

2018 McLaren 720s
2007 Porsche EVT750
2012 Jeep SRT
post #9 of 31 Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:

Do you also have downpipes?
post #10 of 31 Old 05-17-2019, 03:49 AM
Owner

Garage
That Ryft catback indeed looks nice, it is basically copied from the one Unobtainium designed a while back. I'd say buy the Unobtainium one instead, it is cheaper too. It is available in titanium or inconel. While it is not on full display in the 720S, you can definitely see some of the blued titanium through the rear grill. It uses larger diameter pipes than the factory exhaust, I think 3.5", the stock tips do not fit but you can opt for integrated tips either in titanium or black ceramic.

The Quicksilver exhaust looks very similar to the Fabspeed unit, which I'm pretty sure was the first aftermarket exhaust for the 720S. The Fabspeed is another good choice, and does accept the factory tips if you want to keep them.

2018 McLaren 720S
2015 Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe
2017 Maserati Levante
2018 Lexus NX300
2006 Hummer H1 Alpha

IG: eric.kovalsky
post #11 of 31 Old 05-17-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAILWAG View Post
Thank you - unfortunately, the video could not be played.
I am a bit confused as to where the connectors go since it is not apparent as to where they could connect on the factory exhaust...?
Link fixed and working now.

Connectors are not needed for customers with the factory standard exhaust. We only supply the connectors for customers with the OE Sports system, this system features 2 x electronic actuators, and is a nice design, but there’s no mixing of the gasses from either bank. They also
shut arbitrarily on the overrun. So our system is still popular with existing McLaren sports customers for our greatly improved tone and ability to delete the valve error code free.

In short, whatever your spec from OE, QuickSilver have you covered!

QuickSilver Exhausts LTD

post #12 of 31 Old 05-17-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfan View Post
Do you also have downpipes?

Absolutely! Our downpipes feature a single-stage plasma ceramic coating and provide the full flamethrower experience.

Attached Images

Capsfan likes this.

QuickSilver Exhausts LTD

post #13 of 31 Old 05-17-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Absolutely! Our downpipes feature a single-stage plasma ceramic coating and provide the full flamethrower experience.

Good stuff!!
post #14 of 31 Old 05-18-2019, 12:20 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

An XPipe muffler delete is going to yield a minor increase in volume, and a crisper, smoother tone.

If you want a more substantial volume increase with no CEL's, our 300 cell Euro 6 compliant catted versions are going to be the ticket:

http://www.velocityap.com/McLaren-De...20s200cell.htm

Stuart Dickinson
Managing Director

Office: (1)236-422-3341 Mobile: (1)-250-460-1775
www.velocityap.com E: [email protected]
Performance Tuning & Exhaust Manufacturers for the World's Finest Cars
Tuners & Manufacturers Of:
- IMRA Standing Mile World Record Setting 570S
- World First Tuned 720S 1/2 Mile Record Holder @ 177.16MPH
post #15 of 31 Old 05-18-2019, 04:13 AM
2012 12C Coupe - VR
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
An XPipe muffler delete is going to yield a minor increase in volume, and a crisper, smoother tone.

If you want a more substantial volume increase with no CEL's, our 300 cell Euro 6 compliant catted versions are going to be the ticket:

http://www.velocityap.com/McLaren-De...20s200cell.htm
What are you using for heat shields/blankerts with your downpipes?

2018 720S - Volcano Red
2012 Hyper800R 12C - Volcano Red. Sold but not forgotten.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in