Found Drivers side headlight defect - McLaren Life
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 'Trust'

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-11-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Jcor720s

Found Drivers side headlight defect

Forum members. See attached picture of my front drivers side headlight which i thought was from PPF. After my installer removed it he took the attached picture. Def looks like some enamel type of substance on the outside. Iím thinking could this be factory defect? Welcome comments.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Sponsor
InnerCircle
Sponsor

First I have seen of this. Loooks like something was spilled on it.
Attached Images

post #3 of 10 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

That isn’t a headlight defect, your installer shouldn’t have removed the PPF from them.

Porsche headlights are the same, if you PPF them, then remove it, it damages the polycarbonate and takes a layer of the protective coating on the headlight off with it.

2018 720S - Chicane Grey - Lowered - HRE's - Novitec Tune
2018 Huracan Performante - Lowered - HRE's
2017 GTC4 Lusso V12 - Lowered - HRE's en route
2018 Range Rover Sport SVR
GT2RS - 458 Speciale - 1R TTG - 3R TTG - Aventadors - Etc. SOLD

post #4 of 10 Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM
Jas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Trust' View Post
That isnít a headlight defect, your installer shouldnít have removed the PPF from them.
I'm sure you're right, but it makes me wonder why anyone would ever PPF headlights then?

Mine are PPF'd, hence my question.
post #5 of 10 Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
I'm sure you're right, but it makes me wonder why anyone would ever PPF headlights then?

Mine are PPF'd, hence my question.
Mine are too, you really only get one shot at a lot of headlights so it’s all about who you use. My guy does all my cars bumper to bumper and is about as OCD as they come. Exactly you’d want for a PPF guy. Even he didn’t want to do the headlights on my GT2RS given their convex shape and that’s when he explained to me the risk.

You could probably take some 1000, 1500 then 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand the headlights, plastic polish then PPF and you’d be good. I’ve done it before, but on much lower risk headlights so a professional may be a better call. If McLaren replaces them, that’d be great but I’d be curious to see how that warranty claim goes.
[email protected] likes this.

2018 720S - Chicane Grey - Lowered - HRE's - Novitec Tune
2018 Huracan Performante - Lowered - HRE's
2017 GTC4 Lusso V12 - Lowered - HRE's en route
2018 Range Rover Sport SVR
GT2RS - 458 Speciale - 1R TTG - 3R TTG - Aventadors - Etc. SOLD
post #6 of 10 Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Jcor720s

Quote:
That isnít a headlight defect, your installer shouldnít have removed the PPF from them.

Porsche headlights are the same, if you PPF them, then remove it, it damages the polycarbonate and takes a layer of the protective coating on the headlight off with it.
Thx for the reply. Just to clarify the defect was already visible with the ppf and I asked him to removed it to see if it were air pockets from the ppf which we then found out it wasnít the case...
post #7 of 10 Old Today, 01:05 AM
InnerCircle

Garage
Quote:
Mine are too, you really only get one shot at a lot of headlights so itís all about who you use. My guy does all my cars bumper to bumper and is about as OCD as they come. Exactly youíd want for a PPF guy. Even he didnít want to do the headlights on my GT2RS given their convex shape and thatís when he explained to me the risk.

You could probably take some 1000, 1500 then 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand the headlights, plastic polish then PPF and youíd be good. Iíve done it before, but on much lower risk headlights so a professional may be a better call. If McLaren replaces them, thatíd be great but Iíd be curious to see how that warranty claim goes.
I ppf'd my GT2RS lights since track usage. It is all about how the film gets removed. Great installers know to use a heat gun and very carefully remove the film. Done it on prior Porsches as well.

This looks like something dripped or splattered onto the headlight and was left on. I remember years ago a friend's dog, a Great Dane (Smoochie), that would shake his head and saliva would fly everywhere. If it hit a painted surface or car window it was almost impossible to remove especially if it was baked in the sun.

Phil

post #8 of 10 Old Today, 01:08 AM
InnerCircle

Garage
Quote:
Mine are too, you really only get one shot at a lot of headlights so itís all about who you use. My guy does all my cars bumper to bumper and is about as OCD as they come. Exactly youíd want for a PPF guy. Even he didnít want to do the headlights on my GT2RS given their convex shape and thatís when he explained to me the risk.

You could probably take some 1000, 1500 then 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand the headlights, plastic polish then PPF and youíd be good. Iíve done it before, but on much lower risk headlights so a professional may be a better call. If McLaren replaces them, thatíd be great but Iíd be curious to see how that warranty claim goes.
I ppf'd my GT2RS lights since track usage. It is all about how the film gets removed. Great installers know to use a heat gun and very carefully remove the film. Done it on prior Porsches as well.

This looks like something dripped or splattered onto the headlight and was left on. I remember years ago a friend's dog, a Great Dane (Smoochie), that would shake his head and saliva would fly everywhere. If it hit a painted surface or car window it was almost impossible to remove especially if it was baked in the sun.

Also, it is my understanding that the ppf adhesive layers have been vastly improved. One of the reasons installers used to like Suntech because it could be more easily lifted up during install. The new Xpel ultimate plus supposedly now has a more forgiving adhesive layer.

Phil

post #9 of 10 Old Today, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Yup I was told my my installer to not put any PPF on the Porsche headlights.
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 05:07 PM
Owner

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720sforme View Post

Also, it is my understanding that the ppf adhesive layers have been vastly improved. One of the reasons installers used to like Suntech because it could be more easily lifted up during install. The new Xpel ultimate plus supposedly now has a more forgiving adhesive layer.

Smoochie!

dakota_gt on Instagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in