Honest question - Page 2 - McLaren Life
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 41 Old 04-03-2019, 10:19 PM
Jas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTX View Post
Pista is not Limited Edition--it's Limited Production. There is not a 1 of 500--Ferrari will make as many as they can, and second allocations are hitting now.
Just like 600LT.

I really hope McLaren limit numbers of the 7xxLT. Otherwise I really doubt I will be interested in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 Old 04-07-2019, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I spent 2 days looking at a few different cars and ended up getting a 2018 Amethyst Black 720. They are doing a service and detail, should be shipped here next Friday. Thanks for all the feedback.
post #18 of 41 Old 04-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Owner

Black amethyst is an amazing color congrats
Did you get the one at the collection? They had that one quite a while and was a 2018 so hope ya got a great deal

post #19 of 41 Old 04-07-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendrover View Post
Well, I spent 2 days looking at a few different cars and ended up getting a 2018 Amethyst Black 720. They are doing a service and detail, should be shipped here next Friday. Thanks for all the feedback.
Congratulations! Thatís a great color. Iím excited as well, as my 720 arrives on Wednesday. Headed directly to get PPF and window tint after inspection.
post #20 of 41 Old 04-08-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I picked it up at Park Place in Dallas. As of now (only because I don't have the car yet and hoping for a smooth delivery and the detail department to fix all the things I pointed out) it was an EXCELLENT buying experience. I was treated very well and believe they went to bat for me to make the deal work. Adriana is fantastic to work with. She invited me to a Bentley party that night.

I was really surprised with the color. For me it's a very classy color yet still has the badass look to it.
xxlnevermiss likes this.
post #21 of 41 Old 05-15-2019, 05:58 AM

Just started my search after spending the last few months searching for a 488 that didn’t pan out. Found a local 18 w/ $390k msrp w/2kmi for less than $300k. Hoping the OP can guide me on what would be consider a steal vs a fair deal for this car. My research so far based on 720s listed on Autotrader, eBay and Manheim show anything less than $275k for this car is a steal and above $275k a fair deal. Thoughts?
post #22 of 41 Old 05-15-2019, 09:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720sforme View Post
I had a spot for a Pista and passed on it. The 720s is all the performance of the Pista. If you haven't spent time in a 720s then you are for sure missing something from the 'itch' perspective. It is absolutely wonderful and is a joy to drive - hyper speed, great handling, and phenomenal brakes.

If you can buy that 1000 mile 380k msrp for 309-319k buy it. If the dealer owns it then they probably gave 290k on trade. If you expect below 300k then you need to find a 325-350k msrp car where they paid only 270k on trade. My local dealer only takes cars on consignment so in the end the decision will actually come down to the consignee.

The other thing I might suggest is buy a 720s, use it and love it, and then the new itch would be an F8 which is $100k less than a Pista and very similar performance. The Pista interior is just dated whereas the F8 has been nicely updated, similar to the 812.

My $.02.

Agree. price on car always drop no matter which car you buy. as long as you drive it it will drop.
you might not lose that much more money than you think even if you make use of it. Parking in the garage does not guarantee a higher resell value.

look at the 12c. condition and option just don't really matter anymore. Nobody gonna spend more than 100k on the 12c. the trade in is more like 65k now
post #23 of 41 Old 05-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kui Cam View Post
Agree. price on car always drop no matter which car you buy. as long as you drive it it will drop.

you might not lose that much more money than you think even if you make use of it. Parking in the garage does not guarantee a higher resell value.

look at the 12c. condition and option just don't really matter anymore. Nobody gonna spend more than 100k on the 12c. the trade in is more like 65k now

have the 12c prices really dropped that low? 65k for trade in? i always thought the floor would be $110k on 12c... thatís troubling for anyone looking to own for multiple years. 650 seems more stable... sorry to divert, thinking out loud.

Current stable:
2018 720s
2018 Range Rover
2018 Porsche Panamera 4S
Others

Past cars
'12 MP4-12C Stealth Package, 570s - gone but will be missed
Endless Porsche 911s, Ferraris etc....
post #24 of 41 Old 05-15-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spourreza View Post
have the 12c prices really dropped that low? 65k for trade in? i always thought the floor would be $110k on 12c... thatís troubling for anyone looking to own for multiple years. 650 seems more stable... sorry to divert, thinking out loud.
I haven't seen that unless tons of miles but haven't looked too hard either. for 65k I would daily the heck out of one.
bbeavers likes this.
post #25 of 41 Old 05-15-2019, 05:20 PM

90,95, maybe even 100k if your'e trading for a new 2019 or specced car.

That's for a car that's highly optioned, in great condition, and had all the bugs addressed.

As others have said though, the right private buyer is willing to pay for EXACTLY what they want, or close to it.
post #26 of 41 Old 05-15-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I would say anything under $300K is a good deal. At $275K I would be wondering what is wrong as that seems really low, but you never know.

For me personally, I LOVE this car!! Based on what other cars are available and pricing, the 720S is a steal at $300K.

I was in line for a Pista that kept getting pushed down the road. I really wanted a 720S, but didn't pursue it because of the depreciation and the thought that the Pista would hold value much better.

Well, now that I have the 720S I will pass on the Pista if my spot gets filled. There is NO way that the Pista is worth $150K more then the 720S (at least in my opinion).

If a Ferrari badge was on the 720S we would be talking about how much over sticker we would have to pay.

I'm going for a drive. This car makes me giggle!

Later
post #27 of 41 Old 05-15-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I would say anything under $300K is a good deal. At $275K I would be wondering what is wrong as that seems really low, but you never know.

For me personally, I LOVE this car!! Based on what other cars are available and pricing, the 720S is a steal at $300K.

I was in line for a Pista that kept getting pushed down the road. I really wanted a 720S, but didn't pursue it because of the depreciation and the thought that the Pista would hold value much better.

Well, now that I have the 720S I will pass on the Pista if my spot gets filled. There is NO way that the Pista is worth $150K more then the 720S (at least in my opinion).

If a Ferrari badge was on the 720S we would be talking about how much over sticker we would have to pay.

Later
Thank you for the confirmation. First purchase on a sub $200k on a car and to be honest a bit nervous still. The only neg I see on this car is it was a April build so not on the later end of the 18 MY. Hoping there isn’t any issues but I’ll get a PPI sand cross my fingers. Thanks again!
post #28 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:

Later
If you are interested to see the numbers, I made a video in which I go over the depreciation per year and depreciation per 1000km driven for the 720s. You can check it out below. The depreciation for the 720 sits at EUR 23k per year and 3K per 1000km. You can also see the different price points for the new, demo, and used cars. Note that this is for the German market so it might not transfer one on one.

Last edited by fourwheeltrader; 05-16-2019 at 04:45 PM.
post #29 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 02:18 PM
Owner

Quote:

This seems to be a pipe dream. There are hardly any 12C's below $100K and dealers arent making 35 points marging on a 100K used car. The vast majority of 12C's are in the low 100's. Id guess trade in is $90-110 depending on miles, year, options, etc. Kui Cam, do you have any first hand experience with these numbers or are you just hoping prices will drop that low so you can afford one?
post #30 of 41 Old 05-16-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Would you have told the original McLaren F1 purchasers that?

My 928GTS has more than doubled in value since I bought it.

I buy cars to drive though, and expect to lose money on them, so don't typically sell them

Quote:
Condition and options absolutely do matter - they're key to being able to sell.

Where did you get that trade-in number from? I've heard recent trade-in values of $80-90k on 2012 12Cs. There was a 2014 Spider with 46k miles that went for $73k, but that wasn't a trade-in AFAIK.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in