PLEASE HELP: Battery shows 0%, but it has a full charge - McLaren Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

PLEASE HELP: Battery shows 0%, but it has a full charge

I have a 2016 McLaren 650S and the dash shows that the battery is at 0%. The battery is NOT dead, however; I connected the trickle charger, and it was immediately at 2/3rd full. I left it connected overnight, and the battery is now completely full. But, the dash still shows 0%.

I took apart the frunk and unplugged and plugged back in the 1-pin battery monitoring cable, but nothing changed. I tried to unplug the battery monitoring cable and start the engine. It showed battery fault (because the connector was unplugged), so I shut her down, reconnected the cable and tried again - but it still shows 0%.

I checked the battery terminals with a multimeter and they're at 13.4 volts.

Does anyone have ANY ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-17-2019, 02:35 AM

I've never seen this one. Let us know the outcome. These things can be frustrating at times. Must be a Microsoft product.

Last edited by smokeygt; 04-17-2019 at 02:38 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-17-2019, 02:50 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

check the connection on each pin of the battery connector are actually "seated" or connected. It's a long shot, but one of them might not be connected even though the plug "looks" like it is.

- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C Graphite Gray (his)
- 2012 McLaren MP4-12C Brilliant White (hers)
- 2016 Tesla P85d w/Insane Mode

post #4 of 7 Old 04-17-2019, 03:52 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Did you just change to the new style battery? This just happened one day after working previously? What's the whole story. I sell batteries but yours sounds like it works fine.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-17-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ima2nr View Post
check the connection on each pin of the battery connector are actually "seated" or connected. It's a long shot, but one of them might not be connected even though the plug "looks" like it is.
The battery monitoring cable only has one wire. The connector is a 2-pin connector, but with only one wire. This is normal, right? When I unplug the connector, it changes to a "battery fault" message. When the connector is plugged back in, the "battery fault" message disappears and is replaced with a "battery low" message. When going to the vehicle information screen, the battery level is at 0%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPRD View Post
Did you just change to the new style battery? This just happened one day after working previously? What's the whole story. I sell batteries but yours sounds like it works fine.
The car is a 2016 model and has the factory battery with the 1-wire monitoring cable. I literally just purchased the car from a private party, but assumed that the battery was just legitimately low. The previous owner swears that it never showed this before, but who knows.

Thanks for any insight.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-18-2019, 02:12 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

Go old school for a bit and lets measure the actual voltage across the battery terminals. A healthy properly charged batter should have 12.5 volts fully charged (vehicle not running). If the vehicle is running it can be as high as 14.0 volts.

Let us know your actual voltage. Then we can start to determine if your car is giving a false reading about the battery health, or if it is really telling you the battery is actually low.

post #7 of 7 Old 04-18-2019, 02:14 AM
InnerCircle
Owner

also the voltage should not drop below 11.5 volts while cranking the car... This reading is important as well. Let us know what you learn...

three measurements:

1) Voltage while car is running
2) Voltage with engine off
3) Voltage while cranking the car

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in