About to pull the trigger on a 650s - Few Questions - McLaren Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-13-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
zee

About to pull the trigger on a 650s - Few Questions

Hi all - thanks in advance for everyones help on these forums. I am about to pull the trigger on a 650s and had a few questions for you guys and hoping to get some feedback. I am getting the car inspected next week.

1. How easy is it to fix any small nicks or scratches on the carbon fiber front bumper/splitter? I noticed a few minor marks at the very bottom of the bumper and wondering if its easy to fix? I am kinda OCD and I am sure most people wouldn't even care or notice the marks but just curious. I think its over the clear coat but wondering if thats normal with these cars since its so low.

2. Weather stripping around the windows and A-Pillar - it looks a little worn out and not like super blank anymore - I assume thats normal on 3-4 year old Macs? How easy is that to replace or swap out? Again, pretty minor but just curious. Most people wouldn't even see what I see...but hey I'm buying it so thats all that matters right?? =)

3. I am looking to get an extended warranty assuming it passes the inspection. 1 year is around 5k and 2 year would be around 8-9k. Does that sound reasonable? Anyone do better?

4. What tires are best for these cars? I see that the Michelin Sport 4S are available for about $1300 for the set. Is that the clear favorite for these cars now? I am thinking of powder-coating the wheels black when its time for new tires - I assume its like any other car? I think they typically cost $150-$200 per wheel right?

5. One of the first mods I am going to do is add the carbon fiber paddle extensions - which ones should I go with? I see some on eBay for around $250 and others for like $500+.

6. How much are you all paying for insurance? I was quoted about $4k/year assuming I drive around 3k miles - is that right? Seems kinda high - it was through Haggerty and $170k value with a $1,000 deductible. I have been seeing others getting better rates on the forums here.

7. Anything else I should be looking out for before I make the purchase? I have read up a lot and understand the clamps/hoses are important to look out for since extended warranty only covers the clamps, but not the actual hoses correct? What else should I have them look over closely during the inspection that they may not already do? It is getting done at a McLaren Dealer and I understand they can give the Brake life data and I am sure much more right?

Thanks again all for the help - Getting very excited!

Last edited by zee; 04-13-2019 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Updated Questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-13-2019, 07:50 PM
Sponsor
InnerCircle
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee View Post
Hi all - thanks in advance for everyones help on these forums. I am about to pull the trigger on a 650s and had a few questions for you guys and hoping to get some feedback. I am getting the car inspected next week.

1. How easy is it to fix any small nicks or scratches on the carbon fiber front bumper/splitter? I noticed a few minor marks at the very bottom of the bumper and wondering if its easy to fix? I am kinda OCD and I am sure most people wouldn't even care or notice the marks but just curious. I think its over the clear coat but wondering if thats normal with these cars since its so low.

2. Weather stripping around the windows and A-Pillar - it looks a little worn out and not like super blank anymore - I assume thats normal on 3-4 year old Macs? How easy is that to replace or swap out? Again, pretty minor but just curious. Most people wouldn't even see what I see...but hey I'm buying it so thats all that matters right?? =)

3. I am looking to get an extended warranty assuming it passes the inspection. 1 year is around 5k and 2 year would be around 8-9k. Does that sound reasonable? Anyone do better?

4. What tires are best for these cars? I see that the Michelin Sport 4S are available for about $1300 for the set. Is that the clear favorite for these cars now? I am thinking of powder-coating the wheels black when its time for new tires - I assume its like any other car? I think they typically cost $150-$200 per wheel right?

5. One of the first mods I am going to do is add the carbon fiber paddle extensions - which ones should I go with? I see some on eBay for around $250 and others for like $500+.

6. How much are you all paying for insurance? I was quoted about $4k/year assuming I drive around 3k miles - is that right? Seems kinda high - it was through Haggerty and $170k value with a $1,000 deductible. I have been seeing others getting better rates on the forums here.

7. Anything else I should be looking out for before I make the purchase? I have read up a lot and understand the clamps/hoses are important to look out for since extended warranty only covers the clamps, but not the actual hoses correct? What else should I have them look over closely during the inspection that they may not already do? It is getting done at a McLaren Dealer and I understand they can give the Brake life data and I am sure much more right?

Thanks again all for the help - Getting very excited!
Hi Zee, Cut and polish for the front carbon front splitter, weather stripping needs noting, it's always been like shark skin and pretty durable, $4,700 is the norm for one year and $8500 for two, Michelins are hard to beat and the 4S are a good choice, Paddle extensions we carry and they are $450 shipped for your car(Glossy), insurance is dependent on driver history and location, make sure to have a PPI(Pre purchase inspection) done prior to puirchasing the car so you know what you are getting into.

Good luck on your purchase and congratulations as they are fantastic automobiles, hence me owning 5 and expecting my 6th very soon
post #3 of 12 Old 04-13-2019, 09:34 PM

1. I think it would be similar to paint, sand, polish, reapply Clear coat. Not sure if its worth doing it to the bottom as it might happen again. The lift is pretty decent, and if I remember it clears the cement blocks for parking if you inch over it a tad.

2. unless there is rot or pitting on the weather strip, I bet it will just take some cleaner and conditioner to renew it.

3. warranty is just like you said, if your buying from a McLaren dealer you might be able to negotiate a service included or roll it into your car.

4. personal preference for tires,, cant go wrong with the Michelins

5. they all look the same to me? stuck on with double sided tape. I think if your spending the higher end, you might consider getting the real ones and pay a bit more.

6. location/age dependent.... I just went with state farm since its all bundled with my other stuff. hagarty was not cheaper

7. have the PPI focus on the clamps and hoses

post #4 of 12 Old 04-15-2019, 12:12 AM
Owner

Easy.. i got mine fixed.

I replaced it myself lol just buy the part it glues on

I think my 2 year warranty was 8k (AND IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY trust me)

Michellin

That was my first mod i got mine from someone on this forums he makes very very good ones. Search for him

I'm young 25 years old so i pay 6k/year

do a ppi and you'll be fine

Computer Scientist & Car Geek.

McLaren 650s
Ford Explorer
Maserati Granturismo
Lexus GS
post #5 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
zee

Thanks for the feedback everyone, please keep it coming! Hope to be a new owner this week. I will keep everyone posted.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 02:44 PM

I just got my insurance policy for a 2013 12C Spider. Collector car, in Massachusetts (no daily driving, no commuting, and have to have one or more additional cars, but no mileage limit for fun/weekend drives). Under $1300 -- though I am at the "safest" level in the Massachusetts safety rating system, given my clean driving history. Zee, where are you located? That will have a huge impact. I can introduce you to my agent, who does a LOT of high-end exotics and motorsports work.

vty,

--Dennis
post #7 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead View Post
I just got my insurance policy for a 2013 12C Spider. Collector car, in Massachusetts (no daily driving, no commuting, and have to have one or more additional cars, but no mileage limit for fun/weekend drives). Under $1300 -- though I am at the "safest" level in the Massachusetts safety rating system, given my clean driving history. Zee, where are you located? That will have a huge impact. I can introduce you to my agent, who does a LOT of high-end exotics and motorsports work.

vty,

--Dennis
Great rate! I am in So Cal. I just called Geico and got agreed value for their collector car insurance and it was around $3400/year with a $1000 deductible and full coverage with 3k miles per year. Would love to talk with your agent.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Great rate! I am in So Cal. I just called Geico and got agreed value for their collector car insurance and it was around $3400/year with a $1000 deductible and full coverage with 3k miles per year. Would love to talk with your agent.
I'm in Northern California. Liberty Mutual quoted $1144 for 9K miles a year (including commuting, $500 comp / $1000 collision deductible) on a $140K 2014 12C. That's not an agreed value policy though, but they do have a couple of nice options (newer replacement [I know] and no deductible in your work car park).

Last edited by rnixon; 04-16-2019 at 06:51 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
My agent and all-around great guy is Morgan Duffy, President of Hayden Wood Insurance Agency and HWI Motorsports, in Massachusetts. He can be reached at (508)229-8700 or [email protected] though I think he might be on vacation this week. Robin in his office can get you a quote if you don't want to wait for him to get back. FWIW, he covers a large percentage of Ferrari Challenge drivers and offers on-track coverage too. As well as a significant chunk of collectable car owners in New England -- he's our collective go-to guy for this stuff.

Good luck!

--Dennis
post #10 of 12 Old 04-16-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
zee

Is it really necessary to get agreed upon value insurance for these cars? I can get Geicos regular policy and they just used the blue book value for valuing the car if needed. It appear to be over $1,000 cheaper per year. I guess that doesn't really add up to a lot and might be better just to do the agreed upon value policy.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-18-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnixon View Post
I'm in Northern California. Liberty Mutual quoted $1144 for 9K miles a year (including commuting, $500 comp / $1000 collision deductible) on a $140K 2014 12C. That's not an agreed value policy though, but they do have a couple of nice options (newer replacement [I know] and no deductible in your work car park).
How were you able to get a Liberty Mutual quote? According to their agent, they don't insure exotics. McLaren, Lamborghini, Ferrari don't appear on their online quote site either. Vin number doesn't work, either.

Any other decent insurers with good prices?
post #12 of 12 Old 05-18-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_3d View Post
How were you able to get a Liberty Mutual quote? According to their agent, they don't insure exotics. McLaren, Lamborghini, Ferrari don't appear on their online quote site either. Vin number doesn't work, either.
I tried to add it online, and saw what you did (didn't accept the VIN and not in the make list). My agent was able to quote me before I bought it, and add it afterwards. I don't know if they have other requirements, e.g. already having a certain number of other cars with them, driver age, or having been a customer for a while. My policy has two boring cars, a Porsche 928GTS and, now, my 12C.

As my 928GTS has appreciated in value, I've been surprised at how low the premium has stayed. For the 12C, $89 of the annual premium is for "Better Car Replacement" - if the car is written-off (totaled), they'll pay for a year newer car with 15k fewer miles. I also have this option on my 928 - given the low mileage of these cars, it's an absolute bargain, even with its +15% limit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the McLaren Life forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in